The Fiio X5 Thread
Jan 25, 2014 at 4:45 AM Post #3,631 of 19,652
Your calculations for how many songs the X5 can hold is flawed in that it doesn't take into account that song lengths (time) varies. Is that clearer? The last sentence was just a dumb poke. Speaking of dumb pokes, how's your Oh never mind.... :wink:

I thought you already know that an average song lasts for about 03:30 timings and based on that, calculations were made on single 128gb card......no offense, but dont kill the prestigious name " Hi res DAP" by playing 128kbps f**ts from them.:wink:

Jan 25, 2014 at 4:46 AM Post #3,632 of 19,652
Adding to the list of X5 Unboxing posts :-

Nice little security authenticity check :-

X5 Documentation

Comes with 2xadditional screen protectors (note that the X5 already has one installed so 3 in total), USB-MicroUSB cable, MicroUSB-Female Type A (haven't worked this one out yet...OTG DAC Out??), USB microSD card reader, 3.5mm to RCA, 3 little nubs (haven't worked those out too...but I didn't bother looking closely at them).

Warranty card with authenticity procedure check.

A little size comparison with the NW-ZX1 & HM-901. The ZX1 is longer and slimmer than the X5 including the thick end of the ZX1 but not thinner by much. The HM-901 feels like a brick by comparison to the X5. However in terms of construction the X5 (like the ZX1) has a classy well-built feel. I'm of course talking about the X5 out of the silicone case :wink:. In the silicone case, the X5 is like a king in pauper's clothes.

A little more bottom profile look at the thickness of each DAP.

Brushed aluminium back gives it a nice feel (but so doe the ZX1 psuedo leather back).

MicroSD Card protection tabs.

Smooth rubbery-feel scroll wheel.

Jan 25, 2014 at 4:54 AM Post #3,633 of 19,652
Getting this thread back on track, I am trying the USB DAC function of the X5 for the first time. It is not quite plug and play as there is a driver to install and then one must either select the Fiio X5 in the Windows Sound settings or, better in the case of Foobar, a wasapi option becomes available if you have the addon installed. While the switching on and off will be a bit of a hassle, it supports asynchronous playback.

Once set up, it works perfectly.

Regarding the concern about overcharging, it is useful that the X5 has has a charging LED on the bottom front. So long as that is red, you know that you are charging a hungry device. I nonetheless agree that the ability to turn charging off will be a welcome addition in a future firmware update. A USB settings page is available even when the X5 is in USB mode so Fiio can put it there.

Jan 25, 2014 at 5:07 AM Post #3,634 of 19,652
  Getting this thread back on track, I am trying the USB DAC function of the X5 for the first time. It is not quite plug and play as there is a driver to install and then one must either select the Fiio X5 in the Windows Sound settings or, better in the case of Foobar, a wasapi option becomes available if you have the addon installed. While the switching on and off will be a bit of a hassle, it supports asynchronous playback.

Once set up, it works perfectly.

Regarding the concern about overcharging, it is useful that the X5 has has a charging LED on the bottom front. So long as that is red, you know that you are charging a hungry device. I nonetheless agree that the ability to turn charging off will be a welcome addition in a future firmware update. A USB settings page is available even when the X5 is in USB mode so Fiio can put it there.

I do hope that (in the future Fiio firmware update) the charging & USB DAC mode aren't mutually exclusive scenarios. I like the idea of using in USB DAC mode whilst charging rather than battery draining.

Jan 25, 2014 at 5:13 AM Post #3,635 of 19,652
Hey AnakChan,

Would you mind taking a really close photo of the wheel? I would like to see the material, the surface as realistic as possible. I don't understand from photography but I think they call it HD photos or something.

Jan 25, 2014 at 5:15 AM Post #3,636 of 19,652

I do hope that (in the future Fiio firmware update) the charging & USB DAC mode aren't mutually exclusive scenarios. I like the idea of using in USB DAC mode whilst charging rather than battery draining.

Hmmm interesting... I thought DSD support wouldn't be available until March..

Jan 25, 2014 at 7:36 AM Post #3,640 of 19,652
  Hey AnakChan,

Would you mind taking a really close photo of the wheel? I would like to see the material, the surface as realistic as possible. I don't understand from photography but I think they call it HD photos or something.

If you use a Sansa Fuze before, it is the same kind of finishing on its wheel and back housing. Unfortunately there is a tendency that the rubberized finishing will wear off in time. It takes about 3~4 years for the rubber surface on my Fuze to deteriorate, faster if exposed to the elements

Jan 25, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #3,641 of 19,652
  Hmmm interesting... I thought DSD support wouldn't be available until March..

Oh maybe that's why it's recognised but still no output. At least Audirvana Plus recognises it (this is with FW1.00, not the latest 1.10 which I've not tried yet) :-

@AmberOzL, think musicheaven has covered your question. If not, happy to take more close up pix.

Jan 25, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #3,643 of 19,652
If you use a Sansa Fuze before, it is the same kind of finishing on its wheel and back housing. Unfortunately there is a tendency that the rubberized finishing will wear off in time. It takes about 3~4 years for the rubber surface on my Fuze to deteriorate, faster if exposed to the elements

You got me intrigued here, I sure am going to wear it profusely, this is where I wish it could be peel-able and you could put a brand new one on it.

I hate to nitpick on something small but if this is going to wear quick that's not good for me.

Jan 25, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #3,644 of 19,652
You got me intrigued here, I sure am going to wear it profusely, this is where I wish it could be peel-able and you could put a brand new one on it.

I hate to nitpick on something small but if this is going to wear quick that's not good for me.

You can certainly scratch it with your finger nail if you tried, as it is just a thin layer of 'rubber' paint. Like any rubber it does ages with time so wearing off is unavoidable. I actually scratch the whole rubber surface off from my Fuze's click wheel and like it much better.

Well, people complained about the original metal finishing not being pretty enough and now the rubber coating isn't likely to last forever. Win some lose some.

Jan 25, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #3,645 of 19,652

we may put some paper covers in the package when it is sold in outside China. 

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back