The Exploration of Metal and Progressive Rock
May 20, 2010 at 12:36 PM Post #121 of 660

Quote:
Yup - great record, Animals.  I'm more of a Gilmour guy than a Waters guy, and as such I like "Dogs" best on that record, but the whole thing is outstanding.

I am a 'Sheep' fan myself  
tongue_smile.gif

May 20, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #122 of 660

Quote:
@Prog Rock Man: I don't know much about Progarchives, but I seriously doubt Devin Townsend and OSI are Post Metal. both are great bands though

I agree, I was just listing their examples of the different genres. In any case, if we all made our own Prog site we would list bands in different ways. It is still a fantastic resource.

May 20, 2010 at 2:20 PM Post #124 of 660
Certainly in my top 100 best albums ever and a major challenge for any hifi system........

May 20, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #125 of 660
Quote:
Bitches Brew is alright, but I think for most coming rock or metal would find Miles Davis' Tribute to Jack Johnson alot more accessible. It has heavy riffing and is metal in its way. I also like Miles' Live At The Fillmore set, which I find more exciting than the studio cuts on Bitches Brew.

I agree with you on this.  It's a really kick-ass album.  The word was that this was Miles' favorite of  his own albums for a long time.

- Ed

May 21, 2010 at 6:05 AM Post #126 of 660
I am becoming curious for Jazz albums on a thread devoted to Metal and Progressive Rock, interesting.

Black Sabbath's 'Paranoid': a 1970 album that from what I have read is called 'Heavy Metal'. It sounds heavy but not always Metal for I clearly heard some blues influences which added to a very heavy groove. The album has a dark  and full sound. Its propulsive sound sometimes slows down to reveal a slightly Progressive or even slightly Jazzy sound after which the music speeds up again. I like this album and would listen to it again, just for the fun of it. I can not help it but after this album Pearl Jam's 'Ten' sounds like it was heavily influenced by this musical sound. (Somehow this album reminds me of King Crimson's 'Lizard', just different and harder and more cohesive, just a weird impression.)

Quick question, are people into Metal usually also people who like to wear army boots as just shoes?   

May 21, 2010 at 6:40 AM Post #127 of 660

Quote:
I am becoming curious for Jazz albums on a thread devoted to Metal and Progressive Rock, interesting.

Black Sabbath's 'Paranoid': a 1970 album that from what I have read is called 'Heavy Metal'. It sounds heavy but not always Metal for I clearly heard some blues influences which added to a very heavy groove. The album has a dark  and full sound. Its propulsive sound sometimes slows down to reveal a slightly Progressive or even slightly Jazzy sound after which the music speeds up again. I like this album and would listen to it again, just for the fun of it. I can not help it but after this album Pearl Jam's 'Ten' sounds like it was heavily influenced by this musical sound. (Somehow this album reminds me of King Crimson's 'Lizard', just different and harder and more cohesive, just a weird impression.)

Quick question, are people into Metal usually also people who like to wear army boots as just shoes?   

Black Sabbath was heavily inspired by Blues and Jazz, But this is the band that also gave birth to heavy metal with their heavy tone, heavy use of tritonus and grim lyrical subjects. So yes Black Sabbath is considered first true heavy metal band. And their later albums like Heaven And Hell are more like classic Heavy metal.

I have no idea what army boots have anything to do with this, but I personally like to wear them. Supportive on legs and looks good with black jeans and leather jacket. A personal taste.

May 21, 2010 at 11:49 AM Post #128 of 660
Early Sabbath indeed still retain some blues influences but if you look at a song like Iron Man, it predates modern day metal's penchant for extended, multi-sectioned song. To my ears, Paranoid is quite punk too!

May 21, 2010 at 11:55 AM Post #129 of 660
Quote:
Early Sabbath indeed still retain some blues influences but if you look at a song like Iron Man, it predates modern day metal's penchant for extended, multi-sectioned song. To my ears, Paranoid is quite punk too!

Back in those days, genres hadn't really started to distinguish themselves and multiply, so you had more mixes of influences showing up.  Sometimes it was like a single band became the fountain for one or several eventual genres.

- Ed

May 21, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #130 of 660
@Deep Funk
v accurate description of the album :wink:

As for army boots, I don't think that's true. I've never seen anyone with those to be honest and I wear fairly normal jeans and polo. where did you get that impression from anyway?

May 22, 2010 at 5:42 AM Post #131 of 660
Progressive rock has very strong jazz influences. Sometimes with the actual sounds of jazz, but more often with the freeform experimental nature of jazz.

May 22, 2010 at 7:02 AM Post #132 of 660
Led Zeppelin's 'Led Zeppelin (I)': Blues, Blues and a touch of early Hard Rock. The lyrics are not impressive but musically I like it for I recently discovered I dig the Blues. The track on the album I liked the most was 'Black Mountain Side,' which is a transitional track/piece for the Hard Rock and I think Metal influencing 'Communication Breakdown' after which the Blues continues. The intro on 'Communication Breakdown' with its buzzing guitars and bass, I love it and it sounds groovy and danceable too. After that 'How Many More Times' is the third stand out track for me and I think Ozzy Osbourne liked the intro. I really like the album and I can imagine how influential this album must have been, at least indirectly. I dig old rootsy music so consider me hooked. Those transitions on 'How Many More Times' with solos, even for the drummer, I am hooked, sorry. 

Regarding the army boots, my sister was early into Alternative music, Rock, Hard Rock, Metal, Industrial and everything musically connected to those (excuse me) genres. She told me there are Hard Rock and Metal lovers who prefer wearing army boots and that in some of those circles it is a bit of norm, culturally. Now a few days ago she bought me army boots on which she insisted I had to have and now I have army boots. They are quite nice to walk on and if they last long enough save me money, how nice. 

May 22, 2010 at 7:20 AM Post #133 of 660
Presently listening to Miles Davis and Bitches Brew, recorded in 1969 and claimed to be the original jazz rock fusion album. The review I read does not mention psychedelic, but psychedelia was obviously a major musical influence in the mid to late 1960s and Bitches Brew is clearly of that period. 

May 22, 2010 at 7:24 AM Post #134 of 660
Yep... Complete recording sessions I hope, seriously good sound... (about four hours of music).

Regarding Van Der Graaf Generator's 'Godbluff', I like it for it fascinates me and the energy and rawness of the music, even the lyrics do something to me which does not happen that often. This second listen is very rewarding. 'Godbluff' requires your close attention though and 'A Louse Is Not A Home' is a 12 minute 47 seconds track, not 10 minutes and 26 seconds. I need to take a break before I listen a third time. Beware of this album... 

May 22, 2010 at 9:04 AM Post #135 of 660
Yeah! Led Zeppelin I is a very great album - it is uniformly excellent - standout track for me is Dazed and Confused.

My copy of Bitches Brew is the original CD released late 80s / early 90s. I read that the remastered version is significantly better - one is supposed to be able to hear things one missed on the one I have. When I have more money, I will get it!

Quote:
Led Zeppelin's 'Led Zeppelin (I)': Blues, Blues and a touch of early Hard Rock. The lyrics are not impressive but musically I like it for I recently discovered I dig the Blues. The track on the album I liked the most was 'Black Mountain Side,' which is a transitional track/piece for the Hard Rock and I think Metal influencing 'Communication Breakdown' after which the Blues continues. The intro on 'Communication Breakdown' with its buzzing guitars and bass, I love it and it sounds groovy and danceable too. After that 'How Many More Times' is the third stand out track for me and I think Ozzy Osbourne liked the intro. I really like the album and I can imagine how influential this album must have been, at least indirectly. I dig old rootsy music so consider me hooked. Those transitions on 'How Many More Times' with solos, even for the drummer, I am hooked, sorry. 

Regarding the army boots, my sister was early into Alternative music, Rock, Hard Rock, Metal, Industrial and everything musically connected to those (excuse me) genres. She told me there are Hard Rock and Metal lovers who prefer wearing army boots and that in some of those circles it is a bit of norm, culturally. Now a few days ago she bought me army boots on which she insisted I had to have and now I have army boots. They are quite nice to walk on and if they last long enough save me money, how nice. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back