The Exploration of Metal and Progressive Rock
May 22, 2010 at 9:18 AM Post #136 of 660
Listening to Bitches Brew off Spotify and there was a lot of background hiss, more so than on any other album from Spotify.

May 22, 2010 at 10:15 AM Post #137 of 660

Quote:
Yeah! Led Zeppelin I is a very great album - it is uniformly excellent - standout track for me is Dazed and Confused.

Totally agree.  It's one the best debut albums of all time, if not #1.  Absolutely fantastic.

May 22, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #139 of 660
Vinyl or CD?

Anyway:

Vinyl: get the Classic Records 200G re-issue.

CD: get the Japanese remaster.

May 23, 2010 at 5:39 AM Post #140 of 660
When I was a lad and starting out with music, saving to buy one album a month to play on my fathers Sony combined record player and cassette deck, I had every Led Zep album before any other band even got a look in. Top of the pile for me was/is Physical Grafffiti and Kashmir. Bottom was Presence, I just could not get into it at all. 

May 23, 2010 at 7:36 AM Post #141 of 660
! I remember my Dad had one of those receiver with a turntable and cassette deck on top combos!

When I was a student in the 1980s, I owned all the Led Zep CDs. Down the years, I sold some and re-bought them later on. Top of the pile for me was Led Zep 1 and bottom would be Presence too.

Quote:
When I was a lad and starting out with music, saving to buy one album a month to play on my fathers Sony combined record player and cassette deck, I had every Led Zep album before any other band even got a look in. Top of the pile for me was/is Physical Grafffiti and Kashmir. Bottom was Presence, I just could not get into it at all. 

May 23, 2010 at 9:29 AM Post #142 of 660
I actually LOVE "Presence".  I think "Achilles Last Stand" may be not just the best Led Zep song ever written, I think it may be the best SONG ever written.

May 23, 2010 at 10:16 AM Post #143 of 660
I like Presence too ... but overall, I just don't think it is as consistent as the other albums. Achilles Last Stand and Tea For One are really excellent. Posting in these threads always gets me digging up the tracks to listen to
smile_phones.gif

May 25, 2010 at 10:07 AM Post #145 of 660
Still giving it some time. It sounds quite different from the later Judas Priest stuff, which I expected.

Quote:
@ Jubei in the 5 newest cds/lps thread I saw that you got Judas Priest Sad Wings Of Destiny.

How did you like that album?

May 25, 2010 at 11:13 AM Post #146 of 660
What other Priest albums have you heard or have?

My top 5 no order really

Nostradamus
Stained Class
Jugulator
Defenders Of The Faith
Killing Machine aka Hell Bent For Leather

And Sad Wings of Destiny is also in and out of my top 5.

Priest has a lot of very different albums which makes them even more awesome to me.... they have variety.

May 25, 2010 at 12:14 PM Post #147 of 660
Truth be told - I got to Judas Priest pretty late, and I still consider myself more of an Iron Maiden person
regular_smile .gif

Priest albums I own =

Sad Wings Of Destiny
Stained Class
Hell Bent For Leather
The Essential Judas Priest

My favorite so far is Stained Class. The reason I have the Essential collection is Judas Priest albums aren't particular easy to find in Hong Kong (apart from the ones I have and some of the recent albums). I actually want Sin After Sin, but haven't seen it, which means mail order time again.

Just finished listening to Sad Wings Of Destiny - don't really know what to make of it. It isn't bad, but the tracks don't really "hit" me either. Sort of liked Dreamer Deceiver and Deceiver. Stylistically, the tracks don't rock as hard as the later albums, but the songs are more complex (as opposed to tunes like Breaking The Law etc). Somehow reminds me of pre-Bruce Dickinson Maiden 
blink.gif

May 25, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #149 of 660
There's a tiny shop in the basement at Sino Center in Mongkok. Prices are much cheaper than in the big chains like HMV but availability of stuff is abit of any issue - really depends on your luck.

Some for your reference.

Zoo Records Tel : 3188 2303
旺角彌敦道582-592號信和中心地庫B31號舖
B31 Basement, Sino Centre, 582-592 Nathan Rd, Kln H.K.

White Noise Record Tel : 2591 0499
香港銅鑼灣耀華街21號華耀商業大廈19樓1901室
Room 1901, 19/F, Workingview Commercial Building,
21 Yiu Wa Street, Causeway Bay

Trinity Records Tel : 23832801
旺角亞皆老街109號皆旺商場1/F 108號舖
Shop 108, 1st Floor, Richmond Shopping Center,
109 Argyle Street, Mong Kok

May 25, 2010 at 1:01 PM Post #150 of 660
Regarding gear (IEM) you can alot at the computer malls (thinking Wanchai Computer Centre above the MTR station). Prices are not necessarily cheap for things you can get elsewhere - though you do get to try them these days. Mingo has a shop there - pricey if you ask me, but again you can try alot of stuff and get a hands on feel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back