The Exploration of Metal and Progressive Rock
Apr 28, 2010 at 7:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 660

Deep Funk

Headphoneus Supremus
Howdy, (Skip this part and read the update please.)

one of the things I really enjoy when time is available is discovering new music.

Lately I have taken some steps in the direction of Metal and Progressive Rock.

Metal:
'Kill'em All' by Metallica.
'Reign In Blood' by Slayer.

Progressive Rock:
'The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn' by Pink Floyd.
'The Dark Side Of The Moon, by "..."

I always try to begin with the beginning, from old to new.

To buy (I know this for sure):
'Wish You Were Here' by Pink Floyd.
'Animals' by "..." (Tip from a friend who digs Uriah Heep. He has LPs.)

Interested in:
Yes
Rush
Uriah Heep
Megadeth
King Diamond
Dream Theater

I don't know much about these genres I can only judge by sound and your information. I prefer to start with the classics, preferably the old ones. While collecting CD I noticed that older work from an artist is usually the best work to start with.

Up to now: Metal sometimes brightens my mood and gets me going, Pink Floyd confuses me. 'The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn' sounds like pure (mental) madness which I find refreshing while 'The Dark Side Of The Moon' only gets to me in a right mood otherwise I find it 'kitsch sounding.' When it hits me it's brilliant, when not: this sounds intentionally overdone and sampled.

I need some information on where to start and what I should have.

My regards,

Deep Funk

Update 24/08-2010:
At the moment I have added about 40 albums to my CD-collection because of this thread and there is more to come. I think I know enough now to go on finding more music related to this thread. That written feel free to add anything topic related for otherwise this thread loses its purpose. Enjoy the music...

Apr 28, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #2 of 660
Albums I consider essential listening (other than the ones you mentioned), to name just a few:

Classic Progressive Rock:

Yes - Fragile
Rush - 2112
King Crimson - Red
Pink Floyd - Meddle

Classic Metal:

Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind
Judas Priest - British Steel
Megadeth - Symphony of Destruction

Modern Prog/Metal:

Dream Theater - Train of Thought
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing
Opeth - Deliverance

The above is not meant to be exhaustive by any means - just a few to start on
wink.gif

Apr 28, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #3 of 660
Uriah Heep -Look At Yourself and Salisbury albums are a must for Heep.
Sonic Orgami a later day classic (1998) is very good.

Rush most people will say -2112,Farewell To Kings,Hemispheres,Permanent Waves,Moving Pictures are the essential albums.
Moving Pictures is probably the best starter Rush album.
I also really like Signals and Roll The Bones.

Megadeth -most people are going to tell you Peace Sells But Who's Buying and Rust In Peace.

If your looking for more Metal.

I'd suggest someday looking into

Judas Priest -Sad Wings of Destiny (Repertoire cd version/Germany version) if you can there is some bad versions out there like the Koch cd version.
Judas Priest -Stained Class
Judas Priest -Killing Machine/Hell Bent For Leather
Judas Priest -Defenders Of The Faith
Judas Priest -Nostradamus

Iron Maiden -Killers
Iron Maiden -Somewhere In Time
Iron Maiden -Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
Iron Maiden -The X Factor
Iron Maiden -Piece Of Mind

Queensryche -The Warning

Helloween -Keeper Of The Seven Keys part 1
Helloween -Keeper Of The Seven Keys part 2

GWAR -Scumdogs of The Universe -the band is over the top and FUN.
GWAR -Beyond Hell

Blind Guardian -Battalions Of Fear
Blind Guardian -Tales From Twilight World

Hard rock look into/very overlooked band
UFO -Obsession

Apr 28, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #4 of 660
"Stained Class" is probably my personal favorite Priest album (I own all of them up to and including Turbo), and saw them live several times in the 80's).

Apr 28, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #5 of 660
Is that a cheap shot at Turbo?
wink.gif

Personally I think like British Steel is one the worst Priest albums along with Point Of Entry and Screaming For Vengeance.
I do enjoy all 16 studio albums though.

Turbo musically is pretty awesome it has some really great solos and harmony sections.The lyrics or use of synths is the reason for the hate it seems. I don't care about lyrics. So I enjoy Turbo quite a bit musically
L3000.gif

Cool did you see the Turbo tour it had cool stage props?

Apr 28, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #6 of 660
Quote:

Originally Posted by mibutenma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is that cheap shot at Turbo?
wink.gif

Personally I think like British Steel is one the worst Priest albums along with Point Of Entry and Screaming For Vengeance.
I do enjoy all 16 studio albums though.

Turbo musically is pretty awesome it has some really great solos and harmony sections.The lyrics or use of synths is the reason for the hate it seems. I don't care about lyrics. So I enjoy Turbo quite a bit musically
L3000.gif

Cool did you see the Turbo tour it had cool stage props?

I did see that tour - it was really something
evil_smiley.gif

I love "British Steel" and "Screaming for Vengeance". I could live without "Point of Entry". But like you, I dig Priest big time. The new Audio Fidelity HDCD remaster of "Hell Bent For Leather" is stunning sounding.

OP: For some very prog-like Priest, check our the tune "Run of the Mill" from "Rocka Rolla"

Apr 28, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #8 of 660
I'm a big Megadeth fan and I would suggest going further back than "Symphony of Destruction" though that is an excellent album. I consider "Rust in Peace" to be one of their best albums. Holy wars is an excellent song with great guitar arrangements and Hanger 18 is one of my favourite Megadeth songs ever. Also "Endgame", their newest, is a fantastic album too.

My favourite Metallica album is Master of Puppets. However I have no time for Metallica's work after the "Black" album.

Well with Slayer you've already named my favourite album of theirs but the album previous "Hell Awaits" you can hear them laying the ground for the Thrash/Speed metal band they were to become.

Skylab mentioned Iron Maiden and you can never go wrong with them. My favourite album of theirs is "Seventh son of a Seventh Son".

Other groups I would suggest:

Machine Head - Start with their first "Burn my Eyes" but you've also got to hear "The Burning Red" and "The Blackening"

Testament- I got into them with "Practice what you Preach" but "Souls of Black" which is their next one is probably my favourite.

Anthrax- Loved "Among the Living" when it first came out. My favourite though is probably "Attack of the Killer B's". These guys do have a sense of humour and it does come out in their music.

Overkill- "Years of Decay" is a classic

Avenged Sevenfold- The Rev is one of the most amazing drummers you will ever hear. Fairly new band so their oldest and their newest are within 8 or so years. My favourite though is their newest self-titled album.

I hope I just didn't make things worse.
wink.gif

Apr 29, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #9 of 660
Quote:

Originally Posted by mibutenma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Queensryche -The Warning

Still one of my favorite albums of all time, Operation Mindcrime is also a Queensryche classic.

Others that may be of interest, not necessarily all prog:

Fates Warning - The Sceptre Within
Carpark North - All Things To All People
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
Isis - Oceanic
Roger Waters - The Pros And Cons Of Hitch Hiking
Riverside - Second Life Syndrome
Muse - Origin Of Symmetry
Dio - Holy Diver
Shrinebuilder - Shrinebuilder
Tool - Aenima

Some instrumental stuff that may be of interest:

Red Sparowes
Russian Circles
Pelican

Apr 29, 2010 at 3:01 AM Post #10 of 660
The guys who started Metal is Black Sabbath.... you must check them out. Try starting with Paranoid. Then King Diamond is a must check out, but so too is his earlier band Mercyful Fate. Check out Melissa and Don't Break the Oath. Other albums which is a must have for metal n00bs:

Kamelot - The Black Halo (my favourite power metal album)
Symphony X - The Divine Wings of Tradegy (Great progressive metal)
Death - Symbolic (this is one of the most accessible Death metal albums)
Immortal - At the Heart of Winter (one of the most accessible Black metal albums)

But yeah I'll check out Megadeth first, cause they are a legend.

Then for progressive rock instead of checking out the older classics first you might want to do yourself a favor and check out the newer bands first, including Porcupine Tree, Riverside, Transatlantic, Oceansize, Tool, The Mars Volta, Magma, Marillion, Neal Morse and Spock's Beard. The sound of the 70's prog rock is vastly different from the modern prog rock sound and you might find yourself preferring the modern prog rock sound.

Apr 29, 2010 at 3:35 AM Post #11 of 660
I would recommend:

King Crimson - Red
King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King (the "first" prog rock album)
Tool - 10,000 Days

and if you want something really out there and experimental try Angherr Shisspa by Koenjihyakkei. Remember to keep an open mind.

Apr 29, 2010 at 4:51 AM Post #12 of 660
I'd say the must have albums are
Animals as Leaders - Animals as Leaders
Periphery - Periphery
Those two albums blew my mind and are pretty much the only "heavy" music I listen to. They both have a very unique style and are heavy and interesting while still being melodic and catchy.

Apr 29, 2010 at 5:52 AM Post #13 of 660
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The new Audio Fidelity HDCD remaster of "Hell Bent For Leather" is stunning sounding.

You talking about that Gold CD release that came out a couple months ago?

Apr 29, 2010 at 5:57 AM Post #14 of 660
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Immortal - At the Heart of Winter (one of the most accessible Black metal albums)

their newest album is probably a lot more accessible

more metal recommendations

Bathory - Bathory
Bathory - The Return......
Bathory - Under The Sign Of The Black Mark
Bathory - Blood Fire Death
Venom - Black Metal
Witchtrap - Witching Metal
Running Wild - everything up to and including Black Hand Inn
Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse
Marduk - Opus Nocturne

Apr 29, 2010 at 6:47 AM Post #15 of 660
ill second several albums, like animals as leaders, amazing instrumental progressive metal. tool's aenima and lateralus, both very good prog metal albums, 10,000 days the newest is also very good, though sounds pretty bad :/ and avenged sevenfold, i really like the newest self titled release and not the previous ones as much. Also opeth is very good progressive death metal, blackwater park was their breakthrough album.

i like the megadeth albums mentioned so far, but i really think you should start with the first killing is my business and business is good, get the remaster though, it sounds much much better. And with Death, i think that the Sound of Perseverance is their best, but its not exactly death metal, its much more progressive as well.

Now for some no one else has mentioned. Check out protest the hero's cd fortress, an amazing new progressive metal cd. With Oden on our Side by Amon Amarth, very accessible Melodic Death metal. Wrath by Lamb of God, Thrash/groove metal. I would also recommend Children of Bodom's Follow the Reaper.

and a plug for my favorite "-core" band, check out All That Remains' cd The Fall of Ideals, the best metalcore out there IMHO

Edit: i cant believe i forgot about some power metal! check out Dragonforce's cd Valley of the Damned, so cheesey, but so good! they re issued it as well, get that version
wink.gif
oh and you should probably investigate some alternative metal, check out katatonia's Night is the New Day, and some doom, New Moon by Swallow the Sun
smily_headphones1.gif

oh...and rock on dude!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back