The Exploration of Metal and Progressive Rock
May 25, 2010 at 2:42 PM Post #151 of 660
Thanks ^ ^
where is White Noise Record in relation to say... Main entrance of Sogo?

Back to Priest:
I thought most people prefer Painkiller...?
but I've never been a huge fan of them anyway, so I cannot say.

btw, was listening to Earth's "The Bees Made Honey In The Lion's Skull". The sonic scape is breath-taking and has a very wild west feel to it. Highly recommended if you are looking into atomspheric stuff

May 25, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #152 of 660
White Noise is sort of behind Times Square ... next to Canal Road Bridge.

Quote:
Thanks ^ ^
where is White Noise Record in relation to say... Main entrance of Sogo?

Back to Priest:
I thought most people prefer Painkiller...?

btw, was listening to Earth's "The Bees Made Honey In The Lion's Skull". The sonic scape is breath-taking and has a very wild west feel to it. Highly recommended if you are looking into atomspheric stuff

May 25, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #153 of 660
My apologies, Deep Purple's 'Made In Japan' cannot be delivered by the webshop from which I purchased the album while I should have received that album last week. I am still going to get it. 

Next stop:
Judas Priest, the album Jubei recently audibly discovered.
Black Sabbath maybe, I did not expect Paranoid to be so surprising. Would the self titled album be worth it?
Pantera, maybe 'Vulgar Display Of Power' which I would almost buy just for the title.
Kyuss' 'Welcome To Sky Valley' although I doubt it fits in with the aim of the exploration.
Rush's '2112' or something really groundbreaking by that band for 'Moving Pictures' did not move me. (It deserves a second listen though.)
Van Der Graaf Generator's 'The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other' for I am quite curious.

Dir En Grey, anyone? 

May 25, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #154 of 660
"2112" did it to you more than "moving pictures"??   you probably like the first heavy part of the album.  I will say that all first 7 albums of rush are equally GENIUS.    moving pictures share few of their greatest melodies,       listen also to "permanent waves" if you still haven't, it is a MUST.     i always thought of permanent waves as their flagship album.

rush is the only band i like which is not prog-metal,I don't like prog rock so much but RUSH is the mother and fother of all progressive bands,rock and metal alike.

May 25, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #155 of 660

Quote:
Yep... Complete recording sessions I hope, seriously good sound... (about four hours of music).

Regarding Van Der Graaf Generator's 'Godbluff', I like it for it fascinates me and the energy and rawness of the music, even the lyrics do something to me which does not happen that often. This second listen is very rewarding. 'Godbluff' requires your close attention though and 'A Louse Is Not A Home' is a 12 minute 47 seconds track, not 10 minutes and 26 seconds. I need to take a break before I listen a third time. Beware of this album... 

Godbluff is grand, but I don't bother with bonus tracks. Still Life is another VDGG favorite of mine with a similar sound, and Pawn Hearts is a bit different, but still great.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the times on the case are all messed up. I don't think that any of them are right...

Perhaps you'd want to check out some Anglagard. That sound is pretty heavy, IMO, and it's excellent prog rock.

May 25, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #156 of 660
Dir En Grey is more J-Rock / Visual Kei / Alternative / Metalcore. I've seen some music videos by them on youtube a while back which were not bad, but listened to their latest output "Uroboros" and was very disappointed. It was certainly too soft compared to the stuff I saw on youtube, so I guess if you do intend to check them out, do it form their earlier part of their discography.

@Jubei
cheers :D

May 25, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #157 of 660

Quote:
Back to Priest: I thought most people prefer Painkiller...?

Well for some people they really like it.

But I personally consider it a popular album of the casual fans.
Just like British Steel and Screaming For Vengeance Painkiller is also up with those its one of the really popular albums and it would seem those are the favorite but their not.

People really into Priest like myself generally like albums like Sad Wings Of Destiny,Stained Class,Defenders Of The Faith,Killing Machine aka Hell Bent For Leather,Sin After Sin etc... a lot more than those popular albums by casual fans or non fans but the Priest albums they usually have are British Steel,Screaming For Vengeance and Painkiller so sometimes it seems like an album like Painkiller is the one most people prefer.

And some Priest fans are like myself and LOVE the unpopular/unknown albums like Jugulator and Nostradamus.

May 26, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #158 of 660
For me, Black Sabbath's debut album is inferior to Paranoid - though it is still goo and worth a listen.

I'm not really a Rush fan - have their Chronicles greatest hit set and 2112. Despite being a big fan of classic rock, I've never really gotten into Rush.

Quote:
My apologies, Deep Purple's 'Made In Japan' cannot be delivered by the webshop from which I purchased the album while I should have received that album last week. I am still going to get it. 

Next stop:
Judas Priest, the album Jubei recently audibly discovered.
Black Sabbath maybe, I did not expect Paranoid to be so surprising. Would the self titled album be worth it?
Pantera, maybe 'Vulgar Display Of Power' which I would almost buy just for the title.
Kyuss' 'Welcome To Sky Valley' although I doubt it fits in with the aim of the exploration.
Rush's '2112' or something really groundbreaking by that band for 'Moving Pictures' did not move me. (It deserves a second listen though.)
Van Der Graaf Generator's 'The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other' for I am quite curious.

Dir En Grey, anyone? 

May 26, 2010 at 7:41 AM Post #159 of 660
There is a strong metal scene in Finland and a fine example is the band Amorphis and their album Skyforger. There is also an excellent metal/folk crossover scene, an example of which is Korpiklanni.

May 26, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #160 of 660
Quote:
"2112" did it to you more than "moving pictures"??   you probably like the first heavy part of the album.  I will say that all first 7 albums of rush are equally GENIUS.    moving pictures share few of their greatest melodies,       listen also to "permanent waves" if you still haven't, it is a MUST.     i always thought of permanent waves as their flagship album.

rush is the only band i like which is not prog-metal,I don't like prog rock so much but RUSH is the mother and fother of all progressive bands,rock and metal alike.

'2112' by Rush, I still have to purchase and try it. For me 'Moving Pictures' did sound good but it did not hit me. When the album finished I was not curious and I was not displeased. It deserves a second listen because the first listen for me is getting to know the overall sound.  
I might go back a little further in the music with Dick Dale & The Del-Tones. Thanks for the suggestions...  

May 26, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #161 of 660
Korpiklanni is a big nono for me. it's really generic and it keeps recylcling old themes of drinking and stuff.

Amorphis's Skyforger is certainly a double yes with an exclamation mark. Their blend of folk, death and melodic metal is certainly unique and done very well with an amazing vocalist to top it all.

@mibutenma
yeah... I get your point
liking albums in a band's discography when the main consensus does not like it as much happens to me sometimes too...

May 28, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #162 of 660
Deep Purple's 'Made In Japan' is finally in, I am so glad record stores exist. I am still on the look out for that 'Judas Priest master piece' though. 

Regarding 'Moving Pictures, I gave a third spin and it really is a good album. It just has the effect that I do not want to listen other music after I listened to it and that is quite unusual for me. This effect confuses me which could mean I am underestimating how good this album actually is. I should stop before I confuse myself with this album... (Among others only Coldplay's 'A Rush Of Blood To The Head' has this effect on me.)

May 29, 2010 at 5:44 AM Post #163 of 660
What songs do you like most on Moving Pictures?

I like Vital Signs,Witch Hunt and Limelight.

Judas Priest masterpiece Sad Wings Of Destiny?

Yeah but not the only one. You can't go wrong with Stained Class -1978 if you see it. A lot of people like that one much more than Sad Wings.

And if you see Killing Machine aka Hell Bent For Leather 1978 or Defenders Of The Faith 1984 are very good Priest albums worth getting too if you got the money or are willing to get them.

Ram It Down 1988 is also very awesome.

Painkiller 1990 is good but overrated by casual Priest fans I think its because its hard and fast.
Some confuse it as their hardest and its like uhhh have you ever heard Jugulator 1997 because that is far,far harder and brutal.I laughed at the allmusic review this isn't Judas Priest its Slayer.

May 29, 2010 at 8:42 AM Post #164 of 660
Rush's 'Moving Pictures': the first three tracks really stayed in my head. After that the album is a bit inconsistent and the last track is a good closing track yet sounds somewhat forgettable. David Bowie is invading my ears now so this is as specific as I can be now.

I could buy a lot of albums, yesterday I bought three not including the Funk Leeperry sent me, Good Funk
L3000.gif
. I have to keep an eye on my expenses, so I cannot just buy everything. Kagrra and Dir En Grey (Uroboros) are still on my list of music to buy too. 

I am aiming for variation in sound regarding the music so I can make my mind up regarding the music I really appreciate. Maybe two Judas Priest albums is possible, old sound and later sound. 'British Steel' sounds good but also mainstream (almost too yet hard enough to sound hard), yes it does. I am on the look out for another sound in the Progressive Rock sound, Rush's '2112' or are there other options? 

May 29, 2010 at 9:24 AM Post #165 of 660
I love almost all of "Moving Pictures", but :\"Vital Signs" and "Red Barchetta" and my favorite tracks, although the instrumental YYZ is also amazing.  I think it and 2112 are their best albums in terms of being good across the board.  I love "Permanent Waves" too, and Freewill may be my favorite Rush song after 2112's "Overture > Temples of Syrinx", but "Permanent Waves" has some dogs on it, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back