The Exploration of Metal and Progressive Rock
May 17, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #106 of 660
In the sense that Dio was a true Metal legend, yes. Along with Halford and Dickinson, he was one of the great voices in early heavy music.

In the sense that he was the voice of no less than three bands recommended in this thread (Rainbow, Black Sabbath, Heaven & Hell), yes, very important to your exploration.

May 17, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #108 of 660
For all the King Crimson fans out there I would recommend the Swedish band Anekdoten. The metal/prog scene in Sweden, Norway and Finland has grown and grown and produced many brilliant bands.

I see the latest genre to push on the the metal/prog scene is the post rock/math rock music of the likes of Tortoise, Grails. Unwed Sailor, Ulver, Maserati, Vessells, Mogwai, Battles, El Ten Eleven and The Album Leaf to mention a few. That scene is particularly strong in the US.

May 19, 2010 at 11:31 AM Post #109 of 660
Classic heavy metal

Iron Maiden - Powerslave
Judas Priest - Ram It Down
Judas Priest - Painkiller
Black Sabbath - Heaven And Hell

Thrash metal

Metallica - Master Of Puppets
Kreator - Coma Of Souls
Invection - Demented Perception
Sepultura - Arise

Power Metal

Blind Guardian - Imaginations From The Other Side
Dark Moor - The Hall Of The Olden Dreams
Stratovarius- Episode

"Viking" Metal

Bathory - Nordland I
Bathory - Nordland II

Black Metal (more accessible ones, two quite different styles)

Immortal - Sons Of Northern Darkness (songs Tyrants and Beyond The North Waves are good starting points)
Immortal - At The Heart Of Winter
Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
Burzum - Belus

May 19, 2010 at 12:33 PM Post #110 of 660
Progressive Rock and metal crossovers and sub genres as on the ProgArchives.com site;

1. Canterbury Scene - Caravan, Gong, Robert Wyatt
  3. Crossover Prog - Mike Oldfield, Peter Gabriel
  5. Eclectic Prog - King Crimson, Gentle Giant
  7. Experimental/Post Metal - Devin Townsend, OSI
  9. Heavy Prog - Rush, Porcupine Tree, Anekdoten
  11. Indo-Prog/Raga Rock - Codona, Magic Carpet
  13. Jazz Rock/Fusion - Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock
  15. Krautrock - Popol Vuh, Can
  17. Neo-Prog - Marillion, IQ
  19. Post Rock/Math Rock - Tortoise, Sigur Ros
  21. Prog Folk - Jethro Tull, Strawbs
  23. Progressive Electronic - Kraftwerk, Tangerine Dream
  25. Progressive Metal - Dream Theater, Ayreon
  27. Psychedelic/Space Rock - Pink Floyd, Eloy
  29. RIO/Avant-Prog - Frank Zappa, Mr Bungle
  31. Rock Progressivo Italiano - Premiata Forneria Marconi, Le Orme
  32. Symphonic Prog - Yes, Genesis, ELP
  34. Tech/Extreme Prog Metal - Opeth, Atheist, Mastadon
  36. Zeuhl - Magma  

May 19, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #111 of 660
I always forget to mention Marillion.  Great band.  "Misplaced Childhood" and "Script for a Jester's Tear" are both terrific records.  I saw them live in the mid-1980's - they were terrific.

May 19, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #112 of 660
Electric Miles Davis is also a good recommendation ... I would start off with the Jack Johnson soundtrack rather than Bitches Brew though, as I think it is more accessible.

May 19, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #113 of 660
I listened to 'Bitches Brew' once, 'The Complete Sessions' and it was one of those listens that gave me the chills. It is a lot of music to take on and you have to take your time, but ever since a lot of music just does not 'wow' me anymore. It had the same impact Run DMC's 'Rock Box' still has on me, or James Brown's 'Funky Drummer' (long version). King Crimson's album 'Red' hit me too.

Jack Johnson, that mellow sounding singer/songwriter with laid back music? 

May 19, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #114 of 660
'Animals' by Pink Floyd: sounds surprisingly accessible, close listening required, awesomeness begins at 9 minutes and 38 seconds during the track 'Pigs (Three Different Ones)', the intro to 'Sheep' is brilliant in its deceptiveness, I love the 'dark sound' of the album. I can write more but it is no use. I really really like this album, its sound, its lyrics, just awesome.

May 19, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #115 of 660
Yup - great record, Animals.  I'm more of a Gilmour guy than a Waters guy, and as such I like "Dogs" best on that record, but the whole thing is outstanding.

May 19, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #116 of 660
animals is probably my favourite pink floyd album.  I like it so much because it has some rock action and great melodies to it.  skylab,i also like gilmour better
bigsmile_face.gif

May 20, 2010 at 2:57 AM Post #117 of 660
just listening to "permanent waves" album by rush...GENIUS! 
it's not that i think that this is their best album (all the first 7 albums are absolutely genius,amazing...if there was a better word i would choose it!),but it has a sentimental value for me since its the album that got me into rush,i remember my big brother listen to them all the time at home,at that time i was a small child and listened ONLY to classical music,anyway...i remember hearing "permanent waves" in the background and it takes me back 
bigsmile_face.gif

I truly think that this is THE rush album to start with...it's very melodic,catchy...not too progressive.

I think i will make me a rush listening session this morning those remastered editions sound fantastic 
beerchug.gif

May 20, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #118 of 660
This Jack Johnson ...

Bitches Brew is alright, but I think for most coming rock or metal would find Miles Davis' Tribute to Jack Johnson alot more accessible. It has heavy riffing and is metal in its way. I also like Miles' Live At The Fillmore set, which I find more exciting than the studio cuts on Bitches Brew.

Quote:
I listened to 'Bitches Brew' once, 'The Complete Sessions' and it was one of those listens that gave me the chills. It is a lot of music to take on and you have to take your time, but ever since a lot of music just does not 'wow' me anymore. It had the same impact Run DMC's 'Rock Box' still has on me, or James Brown's 'Funky Drummer' (long version). King Crimson's album 'Red' hit me too.

Jack Johnson, that mellow sounding singer/songwriter with laid back music? 

May 20, 2010 at 8:45 AM Post #119 of 660

Quote:
just listening to "permanent waves" album by rush...GENIUS! 
it's not that i think that this is their best album (all the first 7 albums are absolutely genius,amazing...if there was a better word i would choose it!),but it has a sentimental value for me since its the album that got me into rush,i remember my big brother listen to them all the time at home,at that time i was a small child and listened ONLY to classical music,anyway...i remember hearing "permanent waves" in the background and it takes me back 
bigsmile_face.gif

I truly think that this is THE rush album to start with...it's very melodic,catchy...not too progressive.

I think i will make me a rush listening session this morning those remastered editions sound fantastic 
beerchug.gif

The Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab re-issue of Permanent Waves is fantastic - both the gold CD, and especially the vinyl
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back