The Exploration of Metal and Progressive Rock
May 10, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #76 of 660
Some of the Yes talk reminded of an album I love.
Its not really rock music.

But Kitaro -Dream 1992  and it has Jon Anderson doing vocals on some songs.
Pretty cool stuff. I don't think very many people have ever heard of Kitaro but the man makes some good music.

Here is a song from that album with Anderson vocals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJTNjekycrw

May 10, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #77 of 660
I will purchase 'Lizard' by King Crimson and 'Paranoid' by Black Sabbath. Too bad I am not so rich that I can buy everything at once. 

May 10, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #78 of 660
Despite my general recommendation earlier that Lizard is a worthwhile and enjoyable listen, if you haven't already, please consider Larks Tongues In Aspic first. Once again, I'm an oddity in this regard, but this is, in my humble opinion, their most exciting and rewarding album.

While I'm at it, I'll also go on the record and say that Black Sabbath's debut is superior to Paranoid...

May 10, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #79 of 660
I definitely prefer Larks Tongues in Aspic over Lizard, FWIW.

May 10, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #80 of 660
I highly suggest you to take a look into Uriah Heep and Rainbow because they are most like the options on your list. But if you really want to explore metal check out the old metal bands like Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden , and Judas Priest to get a real feel for what you want.

May 10, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #81 of 660
'Lizard' by King Crimson, why? I have a weak spot for the weird and wonderful music that gets little attention. I really like 'The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn' by Pink Floyd, not much of an argument but I am too curious. Listen to 'Man Called Sun' by the Verve, it is one of my all time favourites and not well known. The B-sides and rarities by the Verve are a treat, I have the compilation CD :).

'Paranoid' by Black Sabbath because it is the classic Black Sabbath album, although I considered the début. Every name that is mentioned gets a search. Playing catch up with your suggestions would hurt my wallet too soon and every album needs a good listen. I will consider every suggestion...  

May 14, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #82 of 660
Bought today:
'Moving Pictures' by Rush, remaster.
'British  Steel' by Judas Priest, remaster.
'Godbluff' by Van Der Graaf Generator, digitally remastered.

I actually wanted to buy 'Sad Wings Of Destiny' by Judas Priest but it was not present. I hope the remasters sound good. I will post short impressions if you like. 

May 14, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #83 of 660
Please do! I would love to hear your impressions, since this will be your first listen to albums I have been playing for 20-30 years - it will be fun to hear your take.

May 15, 2010 at 9:44 AM Post #84 of 660
Rush's 'Moving Pictures': sounds good but not really memorable.

King Crimson's 'Lizard': Fusion, jazzy and I like it. I actually enjoyed the album as a whole more than any particular track. Overall very enjoyable and memorable. 

Judas Priest's 'British Steel': hard, very good vocalist indeed, the vocal delivery reminds me of Chuck Berry. I like the album, very consistent.

Van Der Graaf Generator's 'Godbluff': fascinating sound, very energetic music, vocals require getting used to, needs at least a second listen, it is fascinating and makes me curious.

For your information: whenever I listen critically to Rock or anything Rock oriented my reference track is Run DMC's 'Rock Box'. One of my first albums was Run DMC's début and 'Rock Box' has always been a bit of of a bench mark after that. I used to like some Linking Park tracks in the days but the hard hitting sound of 'Rock Box' combined with everything I listen(ed) to is my reference when listening to other Rock oriented music. I used to dig Chuck Berry too and since I listened to some blues I have to get the Triggerfinger albums. 

May 15, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #85 of 660
Cool I didn't get into Rush right away.
I heard the song Subdivisions which I just loved listened to more I listen to the albums a few times before I really dug them some albums and some songs I really liked right away though.

Judas Priest is my favorite band but I'm not really a big fan of British Steel its a very popular album but its bottom of the barrel for me.
Sad Wings Of Destiny,Stained Class,Killing Machine aka Hell Bent For Leather,Defenders of The Faith.
One of those would be a good pick up for the next Judas Priest album to get.
Since your in the Netherlands I would think Sad Wings Of Destiny would be Repertoire label Germany printing floating around there thats the version to get on CD. If you see the Koch label USA printing skip it pretty badly done transfer.

I'd like to also say Ram It Down thats an awesome album musically but its always getting hated on for its lyrics.
Yeah well Judas Priest isn't about lyrics its all about actual music SOUND.Not some stupid words go read a book of poetry or something. So this one might not be the one to get until you get some other albums I mentioned earlier first and if your still digging the Priest then get it.

If you like Rob Halford's vocals on British Steel I think you'll really like them on some other albums.

May 15, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #86 of 660
I see thank many people have recommended you some really classic albums or ones that are very influential, so I thought I'd recommend a few not so classic or even some unconventional choices of mine which some die-hard metal heads may turn their noses away from. I personally think it's always easier to get into more recent material, so the following would be quite, well... recent lol

Waltari - Release Date (2007)
Waltari's a Finnish band that have been around since the 80s, but I don't think the are very well known outside the boarders mainly because they sound very "unorthodox". They are loosely categorised as Alternative, but really, they play a mixture of Thrash, Industrial, Progressive, Avantgarde, Heavy and dare I say Funk and Hip-Hop. I still remember a review said they are a musical UFO. The more important thing is everything flows and sounds natural and exciting. Definitely something for an open minded listener looking for something truly original.

Protest The Hero - Fortress (2008)
Metalcore is one of those genre's that are considered as quite mainstream and hated with passion by "tr00" metal heads. Protest The Hero definitely breaks all moulds and indeed, to classify them as Metalcore is unfair because their music is so much more. Being extremely progressive yet catchy, they are at the same time have a very schizophrenic and insane take on Metal. The riffs here are never repeated over three times and the listener is constantly barraged with chaotic screaming, harmonised vocals, brilliant solos, riffs, choruses etc.

Hope to hear how you get on with these if they are up your league :wink: 
Then maybe I'll recommend more

May 16, 2010 at 1:39 AM Post #89 of 660
I agree its just personal taste. The style of vocals are what I don't like but for non-metal lovers, they will probably be much friendlier than the typical death or black metal style growls and screeches.

May 16, 2010 at 7:33 AM Post #90 of 660
First Black Sabbath's 'Paranoid' and Pink Floyd's 'Animals' before I lose myself in the world of Progressive Rock and Metal. Should I go for older pressings or is there a particular remaster I should get?

I might opt for some instrumental works and some suggestions have already been made. Led Zeppelin's 'Led Zeppelin I' and Deep Purple's 'Made In Japan' have yet to arrive. 

GlendaleViper, regarding Kyuss I will purchase 'Welcome To Sky Valley' in time and the related music that came after Kyuss split up. I am still not sure about Nirvana though. 

Sfoxy, I like the Waltari description. Now does Waltari have a hard sound to it, not like Lost Prophets which sound O.K. but too Pop for me, even P.O.D. sounds better if I may compare and P.O.D. does rock I just would not call it Metal at all. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back