The discovery thread!
Mar 20, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #8,282 of 100,123
Quote:
Dsnuts I need your guidance! I am torn between the MDR-1Rs, the WS99s, and the AD900X. I'm going to use them for home use primarily (movies, gaming, and music). You know what I like, but I have never heard a high quality open headphone before. So I have no idea if I should invest in the AD900X. I assume it would have a great surround sound effect as it is open, but that's just speculation. I mainly listen to metal, dubstep, and alternative/rock.

I too would like to hear comparison between them and also if somebody has Fischer 003/Brainwavz HM5. I know FA-003 is more natural, but still what are the differences between them and which one is most worth it?

Mar 20, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #8,283 of 100,123
I think the best can out of the 3 for all 3 needs. Movies, music, games.

WS99 edges out the AD900X but only because of the music genres you listen to 7S. If you were more Rock, Jazz and classical kinda guy I would say the AD900X would win over the WS99.. 

For gaming the AD900X is the best can I own.. The stage and imagery for the cans are tops for gaming. The WS99 is more cinematic type sound because of the big bass end.. I would use the AD900X for competitive game play. The WS99 more so with single player games. The 1R is not bad with games but not great either...

Movies wise. WS99. No competition. The full frontal forward sound with the deep full sub bass on the cans will immerse for all movies.. The 1R is not bad here but the WS99 is the clear winner. The AD900X is so open you will be able to hear everything around you.. So isolation with big bass and forward mid range brings out that THX like sound for them movies.

Music wise.. While the 1R is good to great for most genres of music. Again for the music you listen to.. WS99 is absolute top can for EDM and Metal. TOPS.

Plus the WS99 can be used as a portable and for your home. The AD900X has zero isolation and can only be used at home. I know you was curious about the AD900X. But knowing what your music preference is..Go for the WS99. It does gaming just fine but will win over the AD900X  for the type of music you listen to making them the one that edges out the other 2 you mentioned.

Mar 20, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #8,284 of 100,123
^ Interesting summary!

Mar 20, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #8,285 of 100,123
Quote:
I think the best can out of the 3 for all 3 needs. Movies, music, games.

WS99 edges out the AD900X but only because of the music genres you listen to 7S. If you were more Rock, Jazz and classical kinda guy I would say the AD900X would win over the WS99.. 

For gaming the AD900X is the best can I own.. The stage and imagery for the cans are tops for gaming. The WS99 is more cinematic type sound because of the big bass end.. I would use the AD900X for competitive game play. The WS99 more so with single player games. The 1R is not bad with games but not great either...

Movies wise. WS99. No competition. The full frontal forward sound with the deep full sub bass on the cans will immerse for all movies.. The 1R is not bad here but the WS99 is the clear winner. The AD900X is so open you will be able to hear everything around you.. So isolation with big bass and forward mid range brings out that THX like sound for them movies.

Music wise.. While the 1R is good to great for most genres of music. Again for the music you listen to.. WS99 is absolute top can for EDM and Metal. TOPS.

Plus the WS99 can be used as a portable and for your home. The AD900X has zero isolation and can only be used at home. I know you was curious about the AD900X. But knowing what your music preference is..Go for the WS99. It does gaming just fine but will win over the AD900X  for the type of music you listen to making them the one that edges out the other 2 you mentioned.

Thanks Ds, you know me so well. Btw, you can call me Cameron if you'd like.

Mar 20, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #8,286 of 100,123
Well Cameron the AD900X is the best for gaming and music genres with instruments and vocals but knowing that you would get the absolute top can for EDM and Metal as well as having an all out cinematic movie/ gaming experience. There is more to like about the WS99 for you vs the other 2.. I have to admit the 1R has not been getting too much use since I got my WS99..

I think you will be happy with the WS99.

Mar 20, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #8,287 of 100,123
Quote:
Well Cameron the AD900X is the best for gaming and music genres with instruments and vocals but knowing that you would get the absolute top can for EDM and Metal as well as having an all out cinematic movie/ gaming experience. There is more to like about the WS99 for you vs the other 2.. I have to admit the 1R has not been getting too much use since I got my WS99..

I think you will be happy with the WS99.

I like the cinematic experience so they should work fine. As far as music goes, I love me some bass. I just don't like it to touch the mids or highs. In the back of my head I was thinking I should go with the WS99s, but I wasn't sure. Thanks for your help man :)

Mar 20, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #8,288 of 100,123
Okay, as many of you know who have been around my posts for awhile, I'm not a huge fan of headphones. The few I have, however, have been relatively satisfying (i.e. FA-011, S500, and Creative live). One I own, the ATH-M50, I'm not too thrilled with. I loved my Grado 225's sound (when I owned it), but I hated the build of it. I'm never going to buy a headphone that cost more than $350 (really not over $300) because I'm not into it like that, but I may have found the holy grail sound signature for me in a headphone for well under my cutoff price. Yes, even without burn-in the ATH-900x is doing it for me!! I can tell it's going to give me what I need with a good burn-in (bass just right, beautiful rich mids, and highs that are detailed but not too harsh). I'll get into deeper impressions after a good listening session, but I like them a lot in the first 15 minutes. If they keep improving significantly from this point, I can see it being my favorite headphone, and it will be easy for me to stop here with a headphone (although I would like a good enclosed all-wood headphone one day). The sound for the price is RIDICULOUS!! 

Mar 20, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #8,290 of 100,123
By the way, the soundstage is pretty huge for a closed-can with this A900x.

Mar 20, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #8,291 of 100,123
I remember telling you to go with the 1R but I am gonna be honest here..The WS99 sound is so seductive and full on..It is hard to recommend a can when I know the WS99 sounds the way they do with EDM and Metal... We are talking some high tech with some high end tuning in these cans. Dual air chambers for the deep sound with triple air vents for the bass..I don't know if there is another can on the planet that uses these tweeks to get the sound that is throwing out of these cans.  The results is nothing short of brilliant.

There is something to be said about an open can and what those bring to the table for sound. It is just my opinion but I think everyone that is serious about sound should eventually own an open can. Just to hear a proper stage in a can for once..Something to consider down the road. The AD900X does EDM and Metal actually great but is not their specialty. The WS99.. Is their specialty.

Mar 20, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #8,294 of 100,123
Quote:
I remember telling you to go with the 1R but I am gonna be honest here..The WS99 sound is so seductive and full on..It is hard to recommend a can when I know the WS99 sounds the way they do with EDM and Metal... We are talking some high tech with some high end tuning in these cans. Dual air chambers for the deep sound with triple air vents for the bass..I don't know if there is another can on the planet that uses these tweeks to get the sound that is throwing out of these cans.  The results is nothing short of brilliant.

There is something to be said about an open can and what those bring to the table for sound. It is just my opinion but I think everyone that is serious about sound should eventually own an open can. Just to hear a proper stage in a can for once..Something to consider down the road. The AD900X does EDM and Metal actually great but is not their specialty. The WS99.. Is their specialty.

Oh the horror! I've had to put up with listening to awesome electronic music like this or like this with my AD900X's until those damned WS99's arrive.

What I am really saying is that if I am loving that stuff with the AD900X's this much, then how friggin' good is it going to be with the WS99's??? Can't wait.

Mar 20, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #8,295 of 100,123
Quote:

Oh the horror! I've had to put up with listening to awesome electronic music like this or like this with my AD900X's until those damned WS99's arrive.

What I am really saying is that if I am loving that stuff with the AD900X's this much, then how friggin' good is it going to be with the WS99's??? Can't wait.

^
............. i feel your pain WAYNE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back