The discovery thread!
Mar 20, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #8,266 of 100,105
Quote:
Thanks for the comparisons and initial impressions.  Not a "WOW" sounding iem then? Will burn in really have the much of a significant effect?  I heard the Senhheiser IE8 changes quite a bit with burn in, but there aren't many "audiophile" review of this Sony xb90ex model.

If its your first set of Extra bass ear phones, you will certainly say WOW when you first use them, I am using the Digizoid zo2 Amp with them, Bass sounds great, sound quality is good too, just not a massive step up from my XB41's, but i guess once they have burnt in i'll be able to comment on the differences.  

If you are looking for excellent sound/clarity and aren't too bothered about bass then i'd say look at the XBA 3/4.

Also anyone know if the XB90's are not meant for the UK? I'm trying to register these but they don't show up when I manually try to find them or if i enter in the model number.

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #8,267 of 100,105
I have heard Sony Extra Bass earphones in the past.  The last "WOW" iem I've heard is ckm500 but ymmv with them.  The subjectivity of sound is a personal thing I believe, along with the variation among the population, in the perceivable human hearing frequency range.

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #8,268 of 100,105
Seems like the ultra-affordable range of earphones have really taken off since I last checked.

What are some of the most well-recommended sub-$40 earphones out there? I like earbuds and IEMs... and anything else in between.

Mar 20, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #8,269 of 100,105
Quote:
Actually the A900X is an excellent can. At the price those are going for they are a steal of a deal. They are kinda like a cross between the AD900X and WS99.

beerchug.gif

Mar 20, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #8,270 of 100,105
Quote:
I have heard Sony Extra Bass earphones in the past.  The last "WOW" iem I've heard is ckm500 but ymmv with them.  The subjectivity of sound is a personal thing I believe, along with the variation among the population, in the perceivable human hearing frequency range.

I am thinking you should look into getting the CKN70. It is like a revision of the CKM500 sound but with even more detail mids and better quality bass

Quote:
Seems like the ultra-affordable range of earphones have really taken off since I last checked.

What are some of the most well-recommended sub-$40 earphones out there? I like earbuds and IEMs... and anything else in between.

There are a couple. The Philips SHE3580, 3590, 9700.
Sony MH1C is a cheaper micro hd earphone that is still popular.
JVC FX101 and the FX40. The FX40 using carbon nanotubes but need a crazy amount of burn in.
Mp8320, 9927 Real cheap but big housing mean you gotta have bigger ears.
If you can stretch it the CKN50 is a good one as they are newer AT iems.. The CKN70 cost double so out of your range.

Quote:

You get your A900X yet?

Mar 20, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #8,271 of 100,105
Quote:

Pretty much what DS said.
i have to add one more, GR02. Great all arounder.

Mar 20, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #8,272 of 100,105
Mar 20, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #8,273 of 100,105
Quote:

I am thinking you should look into getting the CKN70. It is like a revision of the CKM500 sound but with even more detail mids and better quality bass

There are a couple. The Philips SHE3580, 3590, 9700.
Sony MH1C is a cheaper micro hd earphone that is still popular.
JVC FX101 and the FX40. The FX40 using carbon nanotubes but need a crazy amount of burn in.
Mp8320, 9927 Real cheap but big housing mean you gotta have bigger ears.
If you can stretch it the CKN50 is a good one as they are newer AT iems.. The CKN70 cost double so out of your range.

You get your A900X yet?

Soundstage wise, are they as good? I like the deepness of the sound from ckm500, though they don't sound very wide to me.  I think MH1C sounds wider.  Looking for the ultimate upgrade to the ckm500 sound lol

Mar 20, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #8,277 of 100,105
Ok, I take back what I said before about the XB90, after the initial 10 minute test i left the headphones plugged in to my walkman, so its been on for about 7 hours now, just tried them and now I can say there is definitely a difference between the XB41's and the 90's, the bass is louder and it sounds deeper, or should I say the very low end sounds better. Even with the volume quite high there is no indication of distortion, obviously I'm getting a lot more bass since its connected up to a Amp. The treble also sounds better, i can increase it on the EQ and its fine, on the XB41's it gets a bit harsh. So overall I'm very happy with the purchase. I'll give some more feedback in a month or so, any questions feel free to ask.

Mar 20, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #8,278 of 100,105
Quote:
Ok, I take back what I said before about the XB90, after the initial 10 minute test i left the headphones plugged in to my walkman, so its been on for about 7 hours now, just tried them and now I can say there is definitely a difference between the XB41's and the 90's, the bass is louder and it sounds deeper, or should I say the very low end sounds better. Even with the volume quite high there is no indication of distortion, obviously I'm getting a lot more bass since its connected up to a Amp. The treble also sounds better, i can increase it on the EQ and its fine, on the XB41's it gets a bit harsh. So overall I'm very happy with the purchase. I'll give some more feedback in a month or so, any questions feel free to ask.

i can imagine the xb40 being much more magical, and technically a lot better. xb90 are just great at what they do, but the sig is not for everyone.
i am curious about removing their filters and see how the highs come out.

Mar 20, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #8,279 of 100,105
Quote:
CKS1000. They are a bit more spendy but you will get your full on upgrade.

Dsnuts I need your guidance! I am torn between the MDR-1Rs, the WS99s, and the AD900X. I'm going to use them for home use primarily (movies, gaming, and music). You know what I like, but I have never heard a high quality open headphone before. So I have no idea if I should invest in the AD900X. I assume it would have a great surround sound effect as it is open, but that's just speculation. I mainly listen to metal, dubstep, and alternative/rock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back