The discovery thread!
Feb 27, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #7,606 of 99,913

Lol !  ...looks like You, Dsnuts and myself went for the same Silver color !     talk about great minds think alike !
biggrin.gif

Can't wait for your impressions AFTER they're burn-in !

Btw ghostfit, has the ckn70s improved even further with 180+ hours of burn-in? Do you think you reached its final burn-in mark?

Feb 28, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #7,607 of 99,913
Quote:
I'm a noob so can't really describe in detail but yeah I guess you are right about me looking for something with a warm signature. My feelings are that the CKN70's probably wouldn't be for me. As for the MH1C, I don't think it beats out the S500 does it? I'm looking for a decent upgrade.

The MH1Cs have a bassier sound signature, but there's no way they have a better overall sound.

Feb 28, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #7,608 of 99,913
Quote:

Btw ghostfit, has the ckn70s improved even further with 180+ hours of burn-in? Do you think you reached its final burn-in mark?

I have not heard anything like this before, they were quite allright out of the box except for some peakiness of the highs when played loudly, I dare say the sibilance went away after 150+ hrs of burning, the trebles are now crystal clear and sharply focused and the only time I'll cringe is when I hear them play a demo of breaking glass (and that's a good thing for how natural the treble is)

Bass has gone tighter and more visceral and that smooth mids is to die for.
The last time I felt anything like this was back in the early eighties when I heard a pair of electro-static speakers for the very first time !

If you know what they mean by the Bass give the sound a fuller body on certain iems, I would say for the CKN70, the bass adds some at the low end and the highs add more from the higher end with the mids standing out all by itself.

I'm not sure if they've reached the final settled-in stage, will continue burning them in even though I'm perfectly satisfied with the SQ.

Guess you should be able to tell that they're my favourite pair of IEMs by now !
wink_face.gif
  ...everything I say henceforth would be bias    ....at least until the CKN90 comes out !

Feb 28, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #7,609 of 99,913
The MH1Cs have a bassier sound signature, but there's no way they have a better overall sound.

That's very helpful, so were your PM's, thanks :)

I can now rule out the MH1C but now since you mentioned the CKN70 has slightly more bass than the s500 I will reconsider them. So I have narrowed it down to 3; ATH CKN70, ATH CKS1000 and JVC FXZ200. Tough choice.

Feb 28, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #7,610 of 99,913
Quote:

I have the CKS77, FX3X, XB90EX and now the WS99 for when I'm in the head-banging mood, and I do enjoy the ear rumble ever so often ie:Basshead.

But the CKN70 just opens up a whole different world of musicality for me, the details in every aspect of the sound is just exhilarating.

Guys who feel that they are hardcore Bassheads should try this one, it might just change your whole perspective of what you are looking for in SQ.
....even if they're not for you in the end, I'm pretty sure they'll go ultra fast in the resale section.

Feb 28, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #7,611 of 99,913
Quote:

I have not heard anything like this before, they were quite allright out of the box except for some peakiness of the highs when played loudly, I dare say the sibilance went away after 150+ hrs of burning, the trebles are now crystal clear and sharply focused and the only time I'll cringe is when I hear them play a demo of breaking glass (and that's a good thing for how natural the treble is)

Bass has gone tighter and more visceral and that smooth mids is to die for.
The last time I felt anything like this was back in the early eighties when I heard a pair of electro-static speakers for the very first time !

If you know what they mean by the Bass give the sound a fuller body on certain iems, I would say for the CKN70, the bass adds some at the low end and the highs add more from the higher end with the mids standing out all by itself.

I'm not sure if they've reached the final settled-in stage, will continue burning them in even though I'm perfectly satisfied with the SQ.

Guess you should be able to tell that they're my favourite pair of IEMs by now !
wink_face.gif
  ...everything I say henceforth would be bias    ....at least until the CKN90 comes out !

^
biggrin.gif

Feb 28, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #7,612 of 99,913
Quote:

I'm a noob so can't really describe in detail but yeah I guess you are right about me looking for something with a warm signature. My feelings are that the CKN70's probably wouldn't be for me. As for the MH1C, I don't think it beats out the S500 does it? I'm looking for a decent upgrade.

Ah you want an upgrade. Then you should get the CKS1000 or FXZ200. Those two are the best sounding of the bunch (FWIR).

Edit: Didn't know the CKN70s were still in the running. You can't sleep on those. They may not be as bass heavy as the others but the definition and fullness will be top notch.

Feb 28, 2013 at 5:03 AM Post #7,614 of 99,913

Quote:

i havnt head the s500, but they got more rumble than the s400. compared to the xb90 the fx3x have a much stronger rumble, and bleeds less. mids are not much to speak of.
if you have the cash, the fxz200 may be the best all arounder when it comes to the bass we are talking about.

Originally Posted by Gee Simpson /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So I can rule the XB90EX out then as they sound like they have a few flaws, thanks. Yeah I'm thinking that regarding the FXZ200's too tbh.

i meant that the mids on the fx3x were not much to speak of, but they have a much cleaner sound like much of the jvc phones. xb90 have lush mids and a low end that hugs you and will never feel its lacking, though you will be missing some detail. they are the ones that i use all the time for upbeat music and any movie.
fxz200 should be a best of both worlds, and i only tasted the fxz100.

im a fan of great value and think with the fxz200 there are diminishing returns (hope to hear them some day). fx3x can be had for cheep. mh1c are great with a laid back sound that shows its true colors when amped, and cable suks. but bang for buck it looks like the ckn70 are taking a crown here so im not ruling them out.

Feb 28, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #7,616 of 99,913
Feb 28, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #7,617 of 99,913
Quote:
Guess what came in the post today
biggrin.gif

If I remember correctly, those are the ATH-M50s that were probably fake but with a price worth finding out, correct? 

Feb 28, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #7,618 of 99,913
Yup that's right, I think they're fake but very good ones,. They look identical to the originals.

Mids are prominent with treble and bass being inoffensive.

I'm breaking them for a long while before I reach a verdict, partly as i've been spoilt so i might be asking too much from them.

I also had to whip out the foam pads, as they sounded a bit muffled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back