The discovery thread!
Feb 27, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #7,576 of 101,070
I just got an e-mail back from iSK asking them what headphone sounded best. Here's what they said.

"[size=medium]Hi (Cash),[/size]

[size=small]Thanks for your mail.[/size]

[size=small]Maybe you can try our HP-980, HP3000, and HP2011, HF2010, they sell very well.[/size]

[size=small]Best regards,[/size]
[size=small](ISK employee)[/size][size=medium]"[/size]

What one do you guys think will sound best?

Feb 27, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #7,577 of 101,070
Quote:
I guess I'll also post my PM here for a wider audience.

ATH CKN70, ATH CKS1000, JVC FXZ200, Sony MH1C & Sony XB90EX.

I enjoy bass but I don't want it to bleed into any of the other frequencies or overpower the vocals. I'm looking for a IEM that doesn't have any flaws in the highs and mids. I currently own the JVC FX101 and JVC s500. I'm looking for an upgrade in every department to the s500's (bass quantity must at least be on par with s500 stock) excluding soundstage as I don't care for it much.

Which of these IEM's match my description the most?

Honestly, just get the MH1C. It's as perfect an iem as I can think of. It does what it does, which is deliver substantial bass with VERY nice mids and highs, without any appreciable flaws...

...in the sound.

The cable is atrocious though, but it's an easy fix with the tape mod.

Feb 27, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #7,578 of 101,070
Quote:
I guess I'll also post my PM here for a wider audience.

ATH CKN70, ATH CKS1000, JVC FXZ200, Sony MH1C & Sony XB90EX.

I enjoy bass but I don't want it to bleed into any of the other frequencies or overpower the vocals. I'm looking for a IEM that doesn't have any flaws in the highs and mids. I currently own the JVC FX101 and JVC s500. I'm looking for an upgrade in every department to the s500's (bass quantity must at least be on par with s500 stock) excluding soundstage as I don't care for it much.

Which of these IEM's match my description the most?

All those five meet your requirements. You gotta be more specific in what sound you want. It seems to me like you want something that's on the warm side. As hype as the CKN70 are right now, I don't think the CKN bass would satisfy you. I'm with eke, you can't go wrong with a MH1C.

Feb 27, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #7,579 of 101,070
i havnt head the s500, but they got more rumble than the s400. compared to the xb90 the fx3x have a much stronger rumble, and bleeds less. mids are not much to speak of.
if you have the cash, the fxz200 may be the best all arounder when it comes to the bass we are talking about.

Feb 27, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #7,581 of 101,070
Quote:
I just got an e-mail back from iSK asking them what headphone sounded best. Here's what they said.

"[size=medium]Hi (Cash),[/size]

[size=small]Thanks for your mail.[/size]

[size=small]Maybe you can try our HP-980, HP3000, and HP2011, HF2010, they sell very well.[/size]

[size=small]Best regards,[/size]
[size=small](ISK employee)[/size][size=medium]"[/size]

What one do you guys think will sound best?

I see that the HP2010 is a "semi-open" headphone:

http://www.micsdirect.com/isk_hf2010.htm

So if you are counting votes, I vote for this one. :)

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #7,586 of 101,070
Quote:
The Takstar is cheaper, so I'm reluctant.

Any of the other ones look nice?

Well, I forgot to tell you that I went to the store with the iSK but the seller didn't have any of the headphones open for demoing and pretty much told me that they keep the expensive headphones in the store and most of the cheap stuff on storage for online ordering, so I'll have to order whichever I want in order to try it out. They had the SEM6 in the store but apparently they also don't let people test iems. He did say though that the SEM5 was a great seller as they've sold their entire stock in less than a week.

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #7,587 of 101,070
Quote:
Well, I forgot to tell you that I went to the store with the iSK but the seller didn't have any of the headphones open for demoing and pretty much told me that they keep the expensive headphones in the store and most of the cheap stuff on storage for online ordering, so I'll have to order whichever I want in order to try it out. They had the SEM6 in the store but apparently they also don't let people test iems. He did say though that the SEM5 was a great seller as they've sold their entire stock in less than a week.

That's...encouraging, I guess. 

Did he comment on how they sound?

Thanks a bunch for doing this, by the way.

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #7,588 of 101,070
So where is the good money at these days for $20-50 with tight bass, bright highs, and most importantly, incredible resolution and imaging. I'm in for any form factor, but they need to be crystal clear. I'm rocking the Sony mdr-v7 (v6 on steroids) and the monoprice 8320 ( great for the dollar, but rather blurred compared to the razor sharp v7, and a little too laid back for my taste)

Edit: my reference track; Like the Average Stalker by Soilwork
http://grooveshark.com/#!/search/like%20the%20average%20stalker
It needs to be able to keep up with the intro to this song. The v7 can, the 8320 can't

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #7,589 of 101,070
Well, I don't think he actually tried it - he only said that people bough a lot of it. But may be just because of the price as they sell the SEM5 for like $20 and the SEM6 for $40. What made an impression to me when I was looking at the SEM6 box though is that it has an insanely long cable 3m and judging by online info the SEM5's one is the same length, which is quite curious.

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #7,590 of 101,070
Quote:
So where is the good money at these days for $20-50 with tight bass, bright highs, and most importantly, incredible resolution and imaging. I'm in for any form factor, but they need to be crystal clear. I'm rocking the Sony mdr-v7 (v6 on steroids) and the monoprice 8320 ( great for the dollar, but rather blurred compared to the razor sharp v7, and a little too laid back for my taste)

Easy JVC S500s nuff said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back