The discovery thread!
Feb 27, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #7,591 of 101,108
Quote:
Well, I don't think he actually tried it - he only said that people bough a lot of it. But may be just because of the price as they sell the SEM5 for like $20 and the SEM6 for $40. What made an impression to me when I was looking at the SEM6 box though is that it has an insanely long cable 3m and judging by online info the SEM5's one is the same length, which is quite curious.

This, this, this and this again.

Long cables = not portable use.

This isn't to say that all "desktop headphones" are awesome, but there's a lot more garbage in the portable headphone business than the desktop side of the house.

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #7,592 of 101,108
Quote:
This, this, this and this again.

Long cables = not portable use.

This isn't to say that all "desktop headphones" are awesome, but there's a lot more garbage in the portable headphone business than the desktop side of the house.

So you think they've made 20-40 bucks studio monitoring iems and that's why they needed such a long cable? Btw, the SEM6 is so RED you have no idea - pictures don't do it justice LOL. I might pick one up soon or the HP-3000 or 2011 (apparently they don't have the 2010) but I told myself that I won't be making experiments with audio purchases as I'm out of job now and it's really a PITA to find a job as a lawyer these days.

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #7,593 of 101,108
Quote:

i havnt head the s500, but they got more rumble than the s400. compared to the xb90 the fx3x have a much stronger rumble, and bleeds less. mids are not much to speak of.
if you have the cash, the fxz200 may be the best all arounder when it comes to the bass we are talking about.

So I can rule the XB90EX out then as they sound like they have a few flaws, thanks. Yeah I'm thinking that regarding the FXZ200's too tbh.

Quote:

All those five meet your requirements. You gotta be more specific in what sound you want. It seems to me like you want something that's on the warm side. As hype as the CKN70 are right now, I don't think the CKN bass would satisfy you. I'm with eke, you can't go wrong with a MH1C.

I'm a noob so can't really describe in detail but yeah I guess you are right about me looking for something with a warm signature. My feelings are that the CKN70's probably wouldn't be for me. As for the MH1C, I don't think it beats out the S500 does it? I'm looking for a decent upgrade.

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #7,594 of 101,108
Quote:
So you think they've made 20-40 bucks studio monitoring iems and that's why they needed such a long cable? Btw, the SEM6 is so RED you have no idea - pictures don't do it justice LOL. I might pick one up soon or the HP-3000 or 2011 (apparently they don't have the 2010) but I told myself that I won't be making experiments with audio purchases as I'm out of job now and it's really a PITA to find a job as a lawyer these days.

Yeah, these are definitely monitoring IEMs.

Another "pro tip", most "audiophile" Chinese headphone manufacturers aren't really meant for audiophiles at all. 

Somic, Superlux, Takstar, and iSK all make a wide variety of professional studio equipment (especially microphones), and it all overperforms for the cost (save for the Somic mics, which I have not heard much about).

Apparently, iSK makes some very nice microphones.

This falls in-line with a lot of the audiophile companies we enjoy; Beyerdynamic, Sennheiser, AKG, and Shure all make all sorts of studio equipment, particularly specializing in headphones and microphones.

By the way, best of luck finding work! I'll definitely keep you in my thoughts.

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #7,595 of 101,108
The audio store was packed with the usual culprits Sennheiser, AKG, Beyerdynamic and lots of Pioneer but it caught my atyention that they had a whole bunch of iSK mics and the guy there told me that the iSK microphones for drums are great. 

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #7,596 of 101,108
So where is the good money at these days for $20-50 with tight bass, bright highs, and most importantly, incredible resolution and imaging. I'm in for any form factor, but they need to be crystal clear. I'm rocking the Sony mdr-v7 (v6 on steroids) and the monoprice 8320 ( great for the dollar, but rather blurred compared to the razor sharp v7, and a little too laid back for my taste)

Edit: my reference track; Like the Average Stalker by Soilwork
http://grooveshark.com/#!/search/like%20the%20average%20stalker
It needs to be able to keep up with the intro to this song. The v7 can, the 8320 can't

Scratch the any form factor thing. I need new iem. I just heard the drums in my fathers music room. I can't listen to the 8320 anymore.

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #7,597 of 101,108
Quote:
The audio store was packed with the usual culprits Sennheiser, AKG, Beyerdynamic and lots of Pioneer but it caught my atyention that they had a whole bunch of iSK mics and the guy there told me that the iSK microphones for drums are great. 

Wow, neat. I might have to buy one (I've been looking for a decent mic to record with.)

Anyway, I think I'm gonna get the SEM6, actually, despite their recommendations.

For one, I need an IEM.

For two, all of their recommendations were for their most expensive stuff. Suspicious!

For three, it's red. How awesome is that?

The only thing that concerns me is that...it's red. I highly doubt many people would wear red IEMs for a serious monitor/stage use. This makes me think that they have a "fun" signature...but then there's that cable, which would make it impractical for the portable use that people with an affinity for that sound signature would unquestionably be doing with these.

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #7,598 of 101,108
Yeah, it's red - insanely red. And that cable - I don't know but I've had issues with 1.5m cables and how to manage the extra 30-40cm of cable even with cable manager and I can't even imagine how I'll handle 2m of cable

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #7,599 of 101,108
Quote:
Yeah, it's red - insanely red. And that cable - I don't know but I've had issues with 1.5m cables and how to manage the extra 30-40cm of cable even with cable manager and I can't even imagine how I'll handle 2m of cable

These IEMs come with a 6.3mm adapter.

Who would want a 6.3mm adapter but audio professionals/enthusiasts? Yeah. Looking good accessories-wise.

Are you sure it's only 2m? I know that the SEM5 is 3.

Edit: The SEM 6 has a 3m cable, according to a...Bulgarian (I think) online shop (not sure if it's a secure site, so I won't link it unless you guys want me to or something.)

Double Edit: And the iSK/Shengke Alibaba page says 1.2 meters. Of course. 

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #7,600 of 101,108
Quote:
These IEMs come with a 6.3mm adapter.

Who would want a 6.3mm adapter but audio professionals/enthusiasts? Yeah. Looking good accessories-wise.

Are you sure it's only 2m? I know that the SEM5 is 3.

LOL I meant 2 meters of extra cable not just 2m. As far as the 6.3mm adapter I have a whole bunch of them and they come with a lot of cheap stuff. You can add to your argument that it comes with tri-flanges and no one who isn't an audiophile would rape his ears with such tips, so it should be made for audio enthusiasts 
size]

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #7,601 of 101,108
Quote:
LOL I meant 2 meters of extra cable not just 2m. As far as the 6.3mm adapter I have a whole bunch of them and they come with a lot of cheap stuff. You can add to your argument that it comes with tri-flanges and no one who isn't an audiophile would rape his ears with such tips, so it should be made for audio enthusiasts 
size]

Right, but when you factor all of these accessories/features together, it becomes very obvious who this product was intended for.

1. Ridiculously long cable? Check.
  2. Tri-flange tips? Check.
  3. 6.3 mm adapter? Check.
  4. Calling them "Ear Monitors"? Check.

It's all trivial, and it doesn't tangibly help the sound quality, but it does let us know who this product was intended for quite a bit.

Whether or not it's actually decent? Well, that's what I'll find out when I buy them.

This is exactly how I pin-pointed the EFi-82 MTs.

1. Ridiculously long cable extension.
  2. Gold-plated 6.3mm adapter.
  3. Comically large size/drivers.
  4. Semi-open design.
  5. Calling them "Studio Monitors".

If you can pin-point a product's market, you can separate a lot of the good from the bad, I think.

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #7,602 of 101,108
Quote:
Right, but when you factor all of these accessories/features together, it becomes very obvious who this product was intended for.

1. Ridiculously long cable? Check.
  2. Tri-flange tips? Check.
  3. 6.3 mm adapter? Check.
  4. Calling them "Ear Monitors"? Check.

It's all trivial, and it doesn't tangibly help the sound quality, but it does let us know who this product was intended for quite a bit.

Whether or not it's actually decent? Well, that's what I'll find out when I buy them.

Well, if you put it that way. And LOL at the alibaba's info - it's probably "about 1.2m" with the cable rolled up.

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #7,604 of 101,108
Quote:
Well, if you put it that way. And LOL at the alibaba's info - it's probably "about 1.2m" with the cable rolled up.

Maybe the cable's 1.2m thick.

Anyway, I'll pull the trigger tomorrow. I'm actually kind of excited about these.

I feel that a lot of these companies have been OEMs for a long while, and now that they're trying to market things on their own, they don't quite understand that people are more apt to view something as legitimate if you charge craptons of money for it.

Somic would make a killing (and be very, very favorably received) selling the EFi and the MH463 at $150+ dollars.

Hopefully, the iSKs are the same way.

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #7,605 of 101,108
Quote:
Maybe the cable's 1.2m thick.

Anyway, I'll pull the trigger tomorrow. I'm actually kind of excited about these.

I feel that a lot of these companies have been OEMs for a long while, and now that they're trying to market things on their own, they don't quite understand that people are more apt to view something as legitimate if you charge craptons of money for it.

Somic would make a killing (and be very, very favorably received) selling the EFi and the MH463 at $150+ dollars.

Hopefully, the iSKs are the same way.

Probably. I guess the SEM6 can't be that bad even if not that amazing for 40 bucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back