The diary entries of a little girl nearing 30!
Jul 28, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #10,696 of 15,119
Another thing I'd like to say about MuppetFace is I think she's eclipsed anyone elses exploration of audio that I know of and seems open-minded to all brands and concepts, there is no fangirlism present only admiration of companies and technology in due diligence!

Jul 28, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #10,697 of 15,119
Geebus, what is it with women? She leaves with hair like this:

and comes home with hair like this:

(Yeah, that's Alice from Twilight.)

No mention, no warning, talk about freaking someone out. :eek: I mean, I like it, I guess we can fulfill some of my Vulcan fantasies, but give a guy some notice will ya?

Jul 28, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #10,698 of 15,119
Quote:
Geebus, what is it with women? She leaves with hair like this:

No mention, no warning, talk about freaking someone out.
eek.gif
I mean, I like it, I guess we can fulfill some of my Vulcan fantasies, but give a guy some notice will ya?

Just a heads up, my lady once told me that a radical hairstyle change is a sign of some deep emotional change (either good or bad but usually bad) or distress.  May not be the case in your situation but thought you'd wanna know.

EDIT:  Or, maybe she did that because it's been freaking hot lately.

Jul 28, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #10,700 of 15,119
I would do more DIY electronics if the kits were more like legos - snap together.  I'm really not good at working with little fiddly bits that have to be done right the first time.  I do like sticking parts on a breadboard and making LEDs flash and motors spin... :p

Well, there are definitely kits like that, but the problem with the Beta22 is that it has too many parts to snap together.

If it's a build with 30 parts it's easy, but once you get to the Beta22 with easily 250 parts, then you're screwed if you even make a tiny little mistake.

I also had the problem that the wiring schemes were not very noob compatible, and I frankly didn't have the slightest clue as to what I was doing when wiring up the boards. I wouldn't be surprised if I blew some parts in that stage either (in addition to the headphones I blew).

Jul 28, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #10,701 of 15,119
So, that's my story why I like audio, sound, music, whatever.  When you're too focused on bitrates and very slight component enhancements I think you start to miss the forest for the trees.  Take a weeks rest with some sensory deprivation and then listen to your favorite music. =]

Hope that lightens someone's day. ~

Very poetic :D. Thanks for posting, I enjoyed the read.

Music has been lingering through every aspect of my life recently. Sometimes, I'm fed up with music and find myself getting tired of it, but other times I go into deep explorations of music (new or old). Right now, I'm in the latter and it feels great.

The Evangelion soundtrack is amazing. Komm, susser Tod is a particularly wonderful track.

Jul 28, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #10,702 of 15,119
Quote:
From the last time I grew my hair out, and living in the heat, I'll say that's probably the most rational or reasonable explanation.

Yeah but being men we tend to be more one-track and simple-minded.  Women are more complex - or just really good at making us think they're more complex - which actually entails being more complex anyway so yeah.

Quote:
Tried actually asking?
tongue.gif
redface.gif

LOL, I'd phrase that question very carefully.

Jul 28, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #10,703 of 15,119
Yeah but being men we tend to be more one-track and simple-minded.  Women are more complex - or just really good at making us think they're more complex - which actually entails being more complex anyway so yeah.

Nonsense. I'm male and I'm complex. I've known simple women. Gender doesn't have to be a wall.

LOL, I'd phrase that question very carefully.

To quote James T Kirk: I fear nothing.

Jul 28, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #10,704 of 15,119

Quote:
EDIT:  Or, maybe she did that because it's been freaking hot lately.

All women like the heat, so I doubt it.

Quote:

No mention, no warning, talk about freaking someone out. .... but give a guy some notice will ya?

Hmm... sounds familiar.

Quote:

BTW, I did order two more amps. Well, an amp and a DAC/preamp. I put in my order for a custom Woo GES and also bought a like-new Onkyo P-3000R (a rather good deal at $880 shipped).
and no, I haven't mentioned it... *whistles Molly Hatchet's Flirtin' With Disaster*

Jul 28, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #10,705 of 15,119
Quote:
I saw Maroon 5 many years ago at an Oracle software conference.  Not really my cup of tea - but most of my bands are either 1) dead, 2) on Social Security, 3) still touring using their walkers and wheelchairs.

:p

Nice to see you posting in the thread again Kiteki. I still haven't forgotten about the tour for the Rocoo BA. I'll get around to sending it out sooner or later :). It'll start in the US and move around from there.

Jul 28, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #10,706 of 15,119
@kiteki that's a cute story! A bit of an Indonesian cultural experience eh? Ive tends to think that in Asian (both continental, subcontinental and pacific) cultures the ballad form is still very alive and kicking, and fidelity of voice is prized. I once went to a Sri Lankan dinner and was really struck when they had a singer perform (apparently) traditional verses after the end of dinner.

Regarding hair, A few years ago I made the decision to get the one steeply assymetrical haircut and stick with it. Eventually I hope it will grow out and I'll have some skrillex thing going yeah totally rad!!!!!!! Kiteki has seen it lol.

When I want different hair I wear a wig. Those things are magical.

Jul 28, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #10,707 of 15,119
Quote:
The project is a lot of fun, and I've certainly learned a lot along the way. However it was also moredofficult than I expected and I faced some major setbacks and a lot of stress.
I think I'm close to finishing it now, and it should be fixed after just replacing a few more parts which should have arrived when I get back home in two weeks.
I would not recommend this project if you're inexperienced, impatient, or not willing to spend an ark and a leg. (it's not a cheap amplifier)

That kinda makes me reconsider the project: I'm really clumsy, I have nearly no experience with electronics, and I'm tight on budget. Seems like a combination of qualities (or defects) that would amount in a total disaster project and wasted budget.

What would you recommend to me for a simpler and cheaper project, but with similar qualities as the Beta22?

Jul 28, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #10,708 of 15,119
Quote:
Well, there are definitely kits like that, but the problem with the Beta22 is that it has too many parts to snap together.
If it's a build with 30 parts it's easy, but once you get to the Beta22 with easily 250 parts, then you're screwed if you even make a tiny little mistake.
I also had the problem that the wiring schemes were not very noob compatible, and I frankly didn't have the slightest clue as to what I was doing when wiring up the boards. I wouldn't be surprised if I blew some parts in that stage either (in addition to the headphones I blew).

Well, look at the bright side, when you are done, you will probably be qualified to buy old 70's solid state amps off ebay and repair them!  
tongue.gif

Jul 28, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #10,709 of 15,119
Well, look at the bright side, when you are done, you will probably be qualified to buy old 70's solid state amps off ebay and repair them!  :p

I wish degrees were awarded based on practical skills like that. Instead of "electrical engineer" it should be like a series of qualifications from "novice" to "master level" where "master level" is something like:

"Disassemble, move, and re-assemble one of the following: SETI Array, LHC, etc unassisted (except for moving heavy loads)"

That's how they qualify you as a chef, it's very practical, and there's no "well I fudged it on the test but still passed with a D so I'm now qualified" - you can either do it or you can't. It would serve to do a few things:

1. It would create a very fun new kind of job: the person who gets to assess this stuff.
2. It would serve to eliminate those "touchy-feely coworkers with the cat posters who freaks out over trivial nonsense" types (because I doubt they could proficiently pass such tests).
3. It would get rid of people who are famous just for being famous or powerful just for being powerful or rich just for being rich.
4. It would make it easier to be a child prodigy/boy genius/mad scientist/etc.

And I'm guessing things like this would soon be reasonable:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back