The diary entries of a little girl nearing 30!
Jul 28, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #10,682 of 15,119
Is it weird that I both think that Jude has the right to censor anything on this site he wishes AND I also think that there are no "bad" words, only bad people using words badly?

No, I'd oddly agree with your reasoning. Language is subjective and meaning is socially constructed - so I can find certain words offensive but that doesn't make them objectively so; however that doesn't mean that "society at large" is so relative and reflexive in its perception.

Jul 28, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #10,684 of 15,119
Quote:
No, I'd oddly agree with your reasoning. Language is subjective and meaning is socially constructed - so I can find certain words offensive but that doesn't make them objectively so; however that doesn't mean that "society at large" is so relative and reflexive in its perception.

Yeah, the context is much more important than the actual words being used, and the meaning of specific words is also very cultural.  As usual, language sucks and is a fricki'n poor medium for transferring information.  
wink.gif

Jul 28, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #10,688 of 15,119
Quote:
You sure you're a cube warrior?
tongue.gif

Corporate denizens are forced to be very good at self-censorship and word selection.  You certainly don't want to end-up being sent to another round of "sensitivity & harassment training" because your next door neighbor with the pictures of cats all over her cube heard you throw an f-bomb.

Oh - and now that I have been elevated to "pointy-haired boss", I'm actually in an office - if my door is closed, I can swear to myself all day long.

Jul 28, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #10,689 of 15,119
Could someone please explain to me what this thread is about? I've read over the OP a few times and I still don't understand what is supposed to be happening...

Once upon a time, I made a diary thread.  Since some people don't like me for dark and puzzling reasons, it was decided I should write my diaries and other audio information in the confines of my own environment.

During the last chapters MuppetFace was one of the most active posters and just getting into IEM's, so she took the liberty to start a new book when I was exiled from this place for a while.  People said countless times I was gone forever but I'm always around sortof.

While I was exiled from this... kingdom... I exchanged emails with head-fiers instead and that was fun, MF was one of them but she's busy exploring audio, history, philosophy, videogames and other things.

In the end this is only a text-based place, and psychologically it starts to dilute thinner and people move on to more interactive or stimulating pursuits / challenges, since it's typical in human nature to level-up.

I haven't followed the past 500 pages but MF is a nice person and seems to have made a good platform for random discussion.  I used to think I was similar to her due to rare parallels like SNK, Final Audio and ancient literature etc. and then I realised she's one of those premeditative writers that are difficult to analyse but she's fine either way.

The main spirit of the thread as long as it hasn't changed is sharing new audio experiences and admiring sound I suppose.

Some people on head-fi admire black and white graphs more than sound which made tomscy2000 a bit fed up recently but I hope he doesn't quit this place or finds a nicer one to move to.

Jul 28, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #10,690 of 15,119
This thread is one of the few places where I see hope for our species because I can see friendly discourse that is generally free of ego-driven "I'm better than you" posts.

Jul 28, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #10,691 of 15,119
I think it's that sour apple elitism that ruins audio imho.  I'm pretty vocal about stuff like the Sansa Clip+ and ER-4S aren't some kind of solved rubix cubes of the audio community since it's 'the sky is blue' to me they aren't, and I want people from all parts of the world to hear why higher quality audio can be passionate and alluring.

Jul 28, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #10,692 of 15,119
Tilpo, you said a few posts back that you were building a Beta22 (for a year), how would you kinda describe the project?
I'm interested in building one.

The project is a lot of fun, and I've certainly learned a lot along the way. However it was also moredofficult than I expected and I faced some major setbacks and a lot of stress.
I think I'm close to finishing it now, and it should be fixed after just replacing a few more parts which should have arrived when I get back home in two weeks.

I would not recommend this project if you're inexperienced, impatient, or not willing to spend an ark and a leg. (it's not a cheap amplifier)

Jul 28, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #10,693 of 15,119
Quote:
The project is a lot of fun, and I've certainly learned a lot along the way. However it was also moredofficult than I expected and I faced some major setbacks and a lot of stress.
I think I'm close to finishing it now, and it should be fixed after just replacing a few more parts which should have arrived when I get back home in two weeks.
I would not recommend this project if you're inexperienced, impatient, or not willing to spend an ark and a leg. (it's not a cheap amplifier)

I would do more DIY electronics if the kits were more like legos - snap together.  I'm really not good at working with little fiddly bits that have to be done right the first time.  I do like sticking parts on a breadboard and making LEDs flash and motors spin... 
tongue.gif

Jul 28, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #10,694 of 15,119
To add to "passionate and alluring" two posts above, here's two quick adventures in audioland stories for this thread, July 29th 2012.

Last night I was in a taxi and the driver asked me in broken English if I liked music, he turned on some music and I was a bit startled since there were two speakers in the back and two in the front, a first for me here at least, and the sound quality was pretty good.  As a taxi driver (at least where I am) he wouldn't have much money, but sophisticated car audio is most likely cheaper than you think, that link is higher-end DIY but I'm sure very cheap Pioneer speakers and stuff can sound good too.

So anyway it really lightened up the taxi trip and we were both enjoying the music, I think that's one more thing which audio is... UPLIFTING, in ways which nothing else (like alcohol etc.) is. =]

Sure, music in itself, on cheap TDK earbuds, can be very uplifting too, however take for example vocals on a crystal clear mid-centric system, that's a unique kind of captivation.

I asked him about his audio system and he happily showed me his SD card player unit and such, I actually wanted to buy the SD card from him at a profit for him but I had trouble with the ATM's here earlier so I only had cash for the taxi fare haha, so I'll try to find some of the songs online later.

Story II is... I haven't listened to a single IEM or headphone in around 1 week, someone PM'd me right now about a song I featured in this old CK10 review I did, I don't know, did my mind take a rest or something?  I am pretty shocked by the sound quality these are putting out right now, the layering and fine details just seem completely inhuman, that's my fourth word I'd like to ascribe to sonic art, inhuman.

So, that's my story why I like audio, sound, music, whatever.  When you're too focused on bitrates and very slight component enhancements I think you start to miss the forest for the trees.  Take a weeks rest with some sensory deprivation and then listen to your favorite music. =]

Hope that lightens someone's day. ~

Jul 28, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #10,695 of 15,119
Quote:
Is it weird that I both think that Jude has the right to censor anything on this site he wishes AND I also think that there are no "bad" words, only bad people using words badly?

The purely functional aspect, setting aside the principles of the thing, is that keeping the language here clean also ensures that the website will pass more easily through censor filters at schools and offices.

Jude has an obvious business interest in ensuring this -- more page views mean more ad impressions. But it's also a favor to ensure that your fellow aficionados can access the site during their lunchbreaks, in their dorm rooms, and so on.

I can be remarkably sweary in person but it's pretty easy to turn off where it's not welcome. If I feel like profanity is that important to convey what I'm trying to say, I'm probably too enraged to be making a good case for my side of an argument and, man, if I got that heated up in a conversation about headphones... it's time to find a new hobby anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back