The diary entries of a little girl nearing 30!
Jul 27, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #10,651 of 15,119
Quote:
That's pretty good since McIntosh was long in the camp of cables not mattering.
On the whole, though, I consider cables audio jewelry. If it makes people happy to buy them, I don't see the harm. Somebody who can consider buying $2,000 cables -- whether or not they're snake oil -- is somebody who probably will not be put in financial jeopardy by the cost.
Nice mix of artists I like and artists I'd never heard of and am intrigued by. Thanks for the tip, I'll grab this tonight.
I'll give that a read tonight as well...
I would not mind if you were to hang around and talk amps and dacs. August looks like my first month in a while where I might have my head above water, workload-wise, and I'm contemplating amp kits to build something for my partner's desk system.

Just because McIntosh engineers don't think cables matter doesn't mean a McIntosh salesman won't try to sell you one...  
tongue.gif

Is that site from the old dude from McIntosh that talked about cables still on the 'net?  I'll have to try to dig that site up again.  I liked that guy - a man after my own heart.

Found it:  http://www.roger-russell.com/
And the wires page:  http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

Jul 27, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #10,654 of 15,119
Quote:
A few things to note. I'll be downsizing my collection rather extensively, and while I prefer local transactions, if there's a specific item any of you diary folks are interested in then shoot me a PM. Things that I wont be selling: FAD and Stax stuff, HeAudios, FitEars, K3003, Ocharaku Flat-4, TakeT H2+, Sony Qualia 010, Fostex TH900 and Paradox, YH-1000, and Grado HP1000.

Hey MF!
Would you mind posting a list of what you have available? (I reckon you should have a DB with all your collection! lol).

Thanks.

Jul 27, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #10,655 of 15,119
Quote:

Hey MF!
Would you mind posting a list of what you have available? (I reckon you should have a DB with all your collection! lol).

Thanks.

X2
I'm rather interested in what you're trying to let go but considering your collection is huge I wouldn't know what to ask for or consider. Are you letting the Sony EX1000 or anything Grado go? Any mid priced Audio Technica cans available that actually have some well defined bass and quality treble? I for see you having the ultimate head-fi garage sale lol.

Jul 27, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #10,656 of 15,119
Has anyone in this thread ever read an entire 6moons review?

Yeah, I actually don't mind reading 6Moons. At least they're unabashedly honest about not caring about measurements. :xf_eek:

Still relatively cheaper compared to our rates :wink:. Our electric bill is averaging $430 a month now but that is including the fact that we are using solar for the water. The heater has the power shut off to it so no electricity usage from it at all. If we didn't have the solar our electric bill would be in the $700+ range now. :ph34r:

WHAT?!

Taking a head-fi breather for the time being. I've been finishing up some transactions and responding to PMs, but overall I wont be posting much over the next week or so.

A few things to note. I'll be downsizing my collection rather extensively, and while I prefer local transactions, if there's a specific item any of you diary folks are interested in then shoot me a PM. Things that I wont be selling: FAD and Stax stuff, HeAudios, FitEars, K3003, Ocharaku Flat-4, TakeT H2+, Sony Qualia 010, Fostex TH900 and Paradox, YH-1000, and Grado HP1000.

I'm listening to the original Stax SR-Omega right now; it just further solidifies my preference for electrostats. It's similar in some respects to the SR-009, but there's a certain accentuated delicacy to its sound in comparison, perhaps due to the bass which isn't quite as robust, though it also has a more expansive spatial presentation compared to its successors, with just the slightest hint of that "semipanoramic vapor" that has come to be a stereotype of electrostatic sound. As befitting a Stax flagship, it's a truly stunning listen: effortless, transparent, relentless but well-behaved, fatigue-free. a window looking out onto one's music.

Pretty much made up my mind to dig my heels in and get a Sennheiser HE90. There are two Orpheus sets (HE90 and HEV90) available to me right now, but I'm planning to pair it with the HeadAmp Aristaeus rather than the HEV90, so it might take a while to come together. This is going to be my primary focus in the coming months.

Also got some goodies from FAD shipped in an enormous box, but unfortunately I can't talk much about them at this point despite a strong desire to do so.

As someone else asked, do you have a list of what you *don't* want to keep? Or is it safe to assume that you basically have every headphone made, and I can just ask for those which I want and you'll have one or two laying around? :p

The only thing I'm actually curious about would be an ATH-W1000 Sovereign, in non-screwed-up condition, btw.

Just because McIntosh engineers don't think cables matter doesn't mean a McIntosh salesman won't try to sell you one...  :p

Is that site from the old dude from McIntosh that talked about cables still on the 'net?  I'll have to try to dig that site up again.  I liked that guy - a man after my own heart.

Found it:  http://www.roger-russell.com/
And the wires page:  http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

I like that site, and he explains why they try to sell the stuff. It's all driven by those nasty B&M stores and their need for huge mark-ups to turn profits (and despite this, people STILL get up in arms when "evil walmart" and "Evil amazon" displace them - that isn't free market, but most of those people are also tea party types and will banter on about "support local businesses" even if it means bankrupting themselves just to grocery shop; :rolleyes: nah they're TOTALLY voting in their best interests!).

I think my meter's messed up since our electric bill last month was $38, and we've been running central air every day.

SHHH. Don't tell anyone. :ph34r:

Jul 27, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #10,657 of 15,119
So... I have a couple of days of vacation still available and was thinking of taking the leap and going somewhere like New Zealand or some place like that... since I know that there's a good diversity of people here, what do you guys think? Where should I go and spend a few days maybe visiting some outstanding looking sites? I hate flying but I'm willing to forget about being scared $hit!ess... I guess... :p I just would like to see some great different places... even though I haven't even visited all the sites on this island, I'd still like to go away...

Jul 27, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #10,659 of 15,119
Quote:
I think my meter's messed up since our electric bill last month was $38, and we've been running central air every day.

I wouldn't spend that money quite yet - I have seen situations where the meter reader is lazy and just makes a guess at the meter, or makes a mistake when transcribing, and you get a low bill.  Then, the next month (or several months later) the accurate number is captured, and you get a huge bill.  If you complain, they will usually send out a supervisor to check out the meter.

Just one of the reasons some cities have gone to high-tech meters that can be queried via an RF signal from the truck just driving by, or even from the central office via a cell modem at the meter.

Jul 28, 2012 at 4:27 AM Post #10,661 of 15,119
Could someone please explain to me what this thread is about? I've read over the OP a few times and I still don't understand what is supposed to be happening...

Jul 28, 2012 at 4:34 AM Post #10,662 of 15,119
Quote:
Taking a head-fi breather for the time being. I've been finishing up some transactions and responding to PMs, but overall I wont be posting much over the next week or so.

I'm listening to the original Stax SR-Omega right now; it just further solidifies my preference for electrostats. It's similar in some respects to the SR-009, but there's a certain accentuated delicacy to its sound in comparison, perhaps due to the bass which isn't quite as robust, though it also has a more expansive spatial presentation compared to its successors, with just the slightest hint of that "semipanoramic vapor" that has come to be a stereotype of electrostatic sound. As befitting a Stax flagship, it's a truly stunning listen: effortless, transparent, relentless but well-behaved, fatigue-free. a window looking out onto one's music.

Pretty much made up my mind to dig my heels in and get a Sennheiser HE90. There are two Orpheus sets (HE90 and HEV90) available to me right now, but I'm planning to pair it with the HeadAmp Aristaeus rather than the HEV90, so it might take a while to come together. This is going to be my primary focus in the coming months.

Also got some goodies from FAD shipped in an enormous box, but unfortunately I can't talk much about them at this point despite a strong desire to do so.

You are not planning to pair the HE90 with the HEV90? (As the HE90/HEV90 was designed as a pair) 

Jul 28, 2012 at 4:38 AM Post #10,663 of 15,119
Could someone please explain to me what this thread is about? I've read over the OP a few times and I still don't understand what is supposed to be happening...

This is Muppetface's blog where she writes whatever is on her mind.

Jul 28, 2012 at 4:39 AM Post #10,664 of 15,119
You are not planning to pair the HE90 with the HEV90? (As the HE90/HEV90 was designed as a pair) 

It's okay, but there are better amps out there. She has a Blue Hawaii SE already, I believe, and it runs laps around the HEV90.

Jul 28, 2012 at 4:44 AM Post #10,665 of 15,119

Users who are viewing this thread

Back