The diary entries of a little girl nearing 30!
Sep 11, 2012 at 8:43 AM Post #15,106 of 15,119
Quote:
BIC For Her Amber Medium Ballpoint Pen (Box of 12) - Black

"There's a glitch -- My husband bought a box of these for me. I was SO excited that, finally, I would be able to write after watching him do it for all these years. My excitement turned to tears when I realized that they do not come with paper-for-her. Please, BIC, consider making some feminine paper products so I can use my new pens."

That made my day, and with only about an hour to spare too!

Sep 11, 2012 at 8:47 AM Post #15,107 of 15,119
Quote:
I really don't think they are trying to act like a natural animal though. Being a wolf furry for instance would probably be considered very different from being a werewolf, which is again different from being an actual wolf as far as the spectrum of wolf / human hybrids go.

They are anthropomorphic characters with a conventional depiction that is seemingly as much derived from cartoon characters at times as it is derived from actual animals. Certainly the abundance of cross-animal fursonas and fursonas based on entirely fictitious animals (or mythical creatures like dragons - though there is some debate as to whether a dragon is a furry or a scaly apparently) suggests that fidelity to nature is not what is actually desired.

It's curious that you observe that stuff in a kind of scientific manner. That sounds pretty unusual for me. To say the truth I can't seriously consider furdom without some laugh or giggle. Maybe you should be an American or belong to related culture to understand it? Are there really deep insights behind furdom so that we can investigate this phenomenon or is it that people just want to have fun for some reasons ( one of which would be desire to escape from strict demands and stresses of life).

Sep 11, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #15,109 of 15,119
Quote:

It's curious that you observe that stuff in a kind of scientific manner. That sounds pretty unusual for me. To say the truth I can't seriously consider furdom without some laugh or giggle.

You can look at just about any social phenomena scientifically. Being a furry involves behaviors, and behaviors are subject to analysis. Whether you find anything meaningful is another question, of course.

Quote:

Are there really deep insights behind furdom so that we can investigate this phenomenon or is it that people just want to have fun for some reasons ( one of which would be desire to escape from strict demands and stresses of life).

The last part of that statement sort of answers the first I think. You don't see that as an insight into life?

Anyway, one could argue that "furdom" can be reduced or traced back to underlying mechanisms in the human psyche or other social factors or whatever-you-want-to-attribute-it-to ultimately. In that sense it's just the presentation of something underlying, one way in which something manifests. If the furry fandom doesn't seem worthy of study, I think someone is perhaps viewing only one of the hydra's heads to the exclusion of the others.

Sep 11, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #15,111 of 15,119
Quote:
BIC For Her Amber Medium Ballpoint Pen (Box of 12) - Black

"There's a glitch -- My husband bought a box of these for me. I was SO excited that, finally, I would be able to write after watching him do it for all these years. My excitement turned to tears when I realized that they do not come with paper-for-her. Please, BIC, consider making some feminine paper products so I can use my new pens."

Also, this:

Man to Man: Gay Attraction Body Mist

[size=medium] Product Features[/size]

[size=small]
  1. Irresistable, Unforgetable, Hot, Sexy, Subtle Gay Scent
  1. Draws Gay Men to you, your home, and business.
[/size]

Quote:
I'm fascinated by some of the stereotypes that arise within fandoms. Since we're talking about furries, I'm reminded of a conversation I had wherein the subject fell on their twin sister fandom, scalies (ie. reptiles). I was a bit surprised when this person told me that he believed the ratio of females was higher among scalies compared to furries. One of the stereotypes of the furry community is apparently that the largest demographic consists of gay males.

Also when talking to this person, the subject of fursonas came up, and then dragons specifically. He looks at me with a completely serious expression, "Oh yeah. Most dragons are... damaged."

"Damaged?"

"Yeah. Like, bipolar or personality disorders and stuff. For some reason they all wanna be dragons."

*shows me the wiki entry on "Tumbles The Stair-Dragon" who tried to cut himself with a blunt sunglass lens and proceeded to fling himself down a flight of stairs at a furry convention*

"Wait... it says that people gave him this fursona after the fact. His actual fursona was a wolf?"

"Oh... yeah. That's right. People started drawing him as a dragon. Because he was crazy, and people know dragons are crazy."

Reminds me of:

Sep 11, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #15,113 of 15,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutabor /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm not a fan of social or political studies generally. It's not that I'm passively uninterested - I'm consciously uninterested. 

Lol as in you actively try to avoid becoming interested?

Edit: Or you could run it through your mind every now and then check, shrug and say: "Nope, still not interested."

Sep 11, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #15,114 of 15,119
Quote:

I'm not a fan of social or political studies generally. It's not that I'm passively uninterested - I'm consciously uninterested. 

I'm only interested in such things insofar as the relationship of the individual to the social is concerned.

But we all have our own different interests. I was mainly trying to point out why it doesn't sound unusual to me.

Sep 11, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #15,115 of 15,119
Quote:

Fantastic.

Is there a Woman to Woman version?

Edit: Just saw this in the comments section...

"Wandrwoman: Made for men....but women love it too! A few squirts of this behind my ears and I found myself listening to Whitesnake and Motorhead. Also, I just bought a pickup truck which will come in handy during deer hunting season. Gotta go.....the Cabellas catalog just arrived."

"TP: WW... I'm sure you look quite fetching in your mullet."

Sep 11, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #15,117 of 15,119
I suppose if you made some kind of giant pit and filled it with the stuff, you could make some kind of Venus mantrap. Would take care of the issue rather elegantly.

Sep 11, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #15,118 of 15,119
There's a Thai furry that attends our church, she comes to services wearing cat ears and sometimes fur gloves and house shoes. She seems nice, odd but benign.

Sep 11, 2012 at 9:31 AM Post #15,119 of 15,119
Quote:
There's a Thai furry that attends our church, she comes to services wearing cat ears and sometimes fur gloves and house shoes. She seems nice, odd but benign.

I like that your church is an accommodating enough environment for her to feel okay doing that!

[Moderator Edit: The thread is now continued here.]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back