The diary entries of a little girl nearing 30!
Sep 10, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #15,076 of 15,119
Quote:
Damn I missed the 1000 page party. So anyone save me any cake??
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm going to a headphone meet this Sunday at my buddies place. He just got himself a Hifiman HE-6 and I can hardly wait to give it a listen.

Just got my Studio V in. The hiss is the same as my defective unit so definitely consider that ohm adapter. But the funny thing is I think I'm preferring the BA firmware now... Seems more wholesome now, easier on the ears yet still super detailed I'll have to go back to dynamic to make my decision but I think I may be joining the BA camp :wink:.

Sep 11, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #15,077 of 15,119
Quote:
Just got my Studio V in. The hiss is the same as my defective unit so definitely consider that ohm adapter. But the funny thing is I think I'm preferring the BA firmware now... Seems more wholesome now, easier on the ears yet still super detailed I'll have to go back to dynamic to make my decision but I think I may be joining the BA camp :wink:.

Crap, I was hoping the new version had settled the hiss problem. Is it just a little hiss with IEM's or are we talking snake city?

Sep 11, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #15,078 of 15,119
Quote:
Crap, I was hoping the new version had settled the hiss problem. Is it just a little hiss with IEM's or are we talking snake city?

Well the older model was more like snake city. But for me its still enough to be bothersome on very quite tracks. Not so much an issue on my Tralucent 1Plus2s because those are harder to drive. But on my Silver cabled IE80s I can hear it still. I use the adapter in that case. But the BA firmware seems slightly quieter but the dynamics aren't as high on it. So you may not like to use the ohm adapter on that firmware. Seems like a balancing act. I'm still getting acquainted with the unit and trying to decide which firmware I want to keep. Still not disappointed in this unit but it would have been nice if they could eliminate all hiss regardless.

Sep 11, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #15,079 of 15,119
Quote:
Well the older model was more like snake city. But for me its still enough to be bothersome on very quite tracks. Not so much an issue on my Tralucent 1Plus2s because those are harder to drive. But on my Silver cabled IE80s I can hear it still. I use the adapter in that case. But the BA firmware seems slightly quieter but the dynamics aren't as high on it. So you may not like to use the ohm adapter on that firmware. Seems like a balancing act. I'm still getting acquainted with the unit and trying to decide which firmware I want to keep. Still not disappointed in this unit but it would have been nice if they could eliminate all hiss regardless.

I might be good then. I'll have to wait until mine comes in and I'll mix and match with my gear and see what hisses and what doesn't. Speaking of which does your 7550 hiss? Not sure on the sensitivity rating of the 7550 but I'm guessing if your 7550 has hiss my EX600 also will. Have you tried the 15 or 22 ohm version adapters? I really don't want the sound impacted so I was wondering if maybe a 15 or 22 ohm adapter would be enough to kill off Hisszilla?

Sep 11, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #15,080 of 15,119

I'm impressed that you stick with these players given the issues. Props to you.

Sep 11, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #15,081 of 15,119
A few random thoughts on the recent discussion:

1. I think people may be conflating otherkin with furries somewhat. There's a bit of crossover, but these are ultimately separate categories.

2. People who hold beliefs in totem animals have existed throughout history. I say 'belief' in a somewhat nuanced sense, as this can form the basis of a particular type of naturalistic spirituality (though I dislike using the term 'spirituality,' because I think it rather vapid in the contemporary sense). There has also been belief in and formative mythos involving shapeshifters---either humans assuming animal form or animals assuming human form---throughout history. In a broader sense, the idea of ego dissolution and "becoming other" has been a theme running throughout many cultures: the idea that one loses one's self and reverts to a more primal state, has a more direct connection with nature. It even expresses itself in the language of everyday in subtle ways with regard to libido (ie. "being an animal in bed") and thanatos ("the killer was an animal").

3. Many furries don't seem to push their self-identification with a fursona into the realm of otherkin belief. Many furries don't don fursuits, nor attend conventions. In some cases furries may be "closeted," not openly expressing it to those around them, or in other cases they may just not be into dressing up or interacting with other furries in a social context. I've talked to furries for whom the fascination is not erotic, and I've talked to those for whom it is. In the case of the latter, they aren't necessarily into fursuiting or dressing up in any form either. Or even roleplaying. I've talked to furries who clearly know they're human, but wish they were their "idealized" self, ie. their fursona; in this case, I don't see it as being that distinct from any other type of general dismorphia. In such cases, some may dress up as a means of temporary wish fulfillment, while others may never dress up and harbor a sense of melancholia. There are also those who simply like having another version of themselves, either as a means of self-expression or a means of creative expression or both, and these individuals don't necessarily dress up in costume either,

4. And then there are still others who themselves don't have a fursona---don't identify with or wish to be something other---who are attracted to the idea of furries and aroused by the artwork.

So in my experience, the "furry" subculture is in fact comprised of a plethora of motivations, perspectives, and approaches, and it's hard to know where the "culture" part begins and ends. Those who fursuit and / or those who are stimulated erotically by the concept (not all fursuitors find it erotic, and not all people who find it erotic dress up) are only a portion of that overall diversity, and it's honestly difficult to say anything substantive about the proportion.

Popular television as a medium is going to distort the reality of whatever subculture they're trying to report on, because the underlying motivation is sensationalism, and when you're talking about a phenomena which is largely informed by Internet culture in general, the network execs aren't going to likely "get it."

Sep 11, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #15,083 of 15,119
Quote:
I might be good then. I'll have to wait until mine comes in and I'll mix and match with my gear and see what hisses and what doesn't. Speaking of which does your 7550 hiss? Not sure on the sensitivity rating of the 7550 but I'm guessing if your 7550 has hiss my EX600 also will. Have you tried the 15 or 22 ohm version adapters? I really don't want the sound impacted so I was wondering if maybe a 15 or 22 ohm adapter would be enough to kill off Hisszilla?

Do you already own these types of adapters? If so I don't see a problem with experimenting . I figure about 30 Ohms seems safe without destroying the sound. Plugging it in direct with my MDR-7550 I can hear hiss. My IE80 is the worst though, haven't heard an IEM give as much hiss as that one. Funny part is the IE80 pairs amazingly well with it lol.

Sep 11, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #15,084 of 15,119
IE80 is 16 ohms & 125dB (according to the Senn website) - that's pretty efficient. I've never liked using P->S adapters, I don't know the technical aspects of what increasing the impedance really does, but for me it seems like it takes the life out of the IEMs I've tried - and it's not just a volume difference. Whatever it's doing, I didn't like it.

Sep 11, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #15,085 of 15,119
Quote:
Do you already own these types of adapters? If so I don't see a problem with experimenting . I figure about 30 Ohms seems safe without destroying the sound. Plugging it in direct with my MDR-7550 I can hear hiss. My IE80 is the worst though, haven't heard an IEM give as much hiss as that one. Funny part is the IE80 pairs amazingly well with it lol.

I'm guessing it's because your IE80 silver cabling has a low impedance value therefore the more hiss. Once my player comes in I'm going to order a 15 and 30 ohm adapter and do a little experimenting and see where it leads me. I'm wagering my DT1350's won't hiss but my M80's probably will. Whether the DT1350's will sound good on the player remains to be seen since it's already got a energetic top end it could wind up sounding way to bright. Only time and a little experimentation will tell. This weekend I'm going to start getting my files in order and reconverted to FLAC and then start stripping the existing tags off and retagging with the software you recommended. My player was supposed to have shipped out this Monday so it won't be to long before it's in my hands.

Sep 11, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #15,086 of 15,119
Quote:
IE80 is 16 ohms & 125dB (according to the Senn website) - that's pretty efficient. I've never liked using P->S adapters, I don't know the technical aspects of what increasing the impedance really does, but for me it seems like it takes the life out of the IEMs I've tried - and it's not just a volume difference. Whatever it's doing, I didn't like it.

That is why I recommend keeping it at a certain limit with the Studio V. The thing is the sound is extremely energetic, nothing like your regular DAP. They sound rather dull in comparison to be quite frank.

Sep 11, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #15,087 of 15,119
oh SNAP 499.00 plus free shipping on a Fostex HP-P1. Now that's a good price, easily over 100 bones cheaper with shipping costs factored in then anywhere else.

I'm tempted.

Sep 11, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #15,088 of 15,119
A_recording, out of those furries you've met and known, has there been any every-day anxiety or depression behind it all? I can imagine a reason to want to use a furry costume being that you'd like to escape reality. To just be someone, or something, else for a moment. I'm also thinking that the reason these people want to escape into something out of this world, may be a longing for getting away from this world, without having to die. A kind of mental retreat into some place safe (well, safe because they create this world, and by definition they probably control it).

Just a thought. I'm trying to understand the furry thing, just like maverickronin.

Sep 11, 2012 at 2:48 AM Post #15,089 of 15,119
I see what Coq is saying. It seems like a young-minded type of escapism. Sometimes i think about how it would be fun to be a dog or a fox or an animal, but I just think about it. I don't really try to act like it because 1) I'm human, so I don't know how to act like a dog and 2) as much as you act like an animal you like, you'll never really be it.

Plus, and I know I'm going to step on a lot of toes when I say this, donning a suit and making puppy noises does not a dog make.

If someone was truly convinced that they were meant to be an animal and legit act like an animal... well that's just another thing.

Sep 11, 2012 at 3:24 AM Post #15,090 of 15,119
Quote:
@a_recording,

I'm also curious to know which convention did you went.

Furjam in Sydney!

Quote:
A_recording, out of those furries you've met and known, has there been any every-day anxiety or depression behind it all? I can imagine a reason to want to use a furry costume being that you'd like to escape reality. To just be someone, or something, else for a moment. I'm also thinking that the reason these people want to escape into something out of this world, may be a longing for getting away from this world, without having to die. A kind of mental retreat into some place safe (well, safe because they create this world, and by definition they probably control it).

Just a thought. I'm trying to understand the furry thing, just like maverickronin.

Hmm, well I wouldn't want to generalise. I've met furries with anxiety issues and I've met some without. I don't know how much escapism is a common motivating factor. Of course, otherkin are as Muppetface suggests very different again.
Quote:
I see what Coq is saying. It seems like a young-minded type of escapism. Sometimes i think about how it would be fun to be a dog or a fox or an animal, but I just think about it. I don't really try to act like it because 1) I'm human, so I don't know how to act like a dog and 2) as much as you act like an animal you like, you'll never really be it.
Plus, and I know I'm going to step on a lot of toes when I say this, donning a suit and making puppy noises does not a dog make.
If someone was truly convinced that they were meant to be an animal and legit act like an animal... well that's just another thing.

I really don't think they are trying to act like a natural animal though. Being a wolf furry for instance would probably be considered very different from being a werewolf, which is again different from being an actual wolf as far as the spectrum of wolf / human hybrids go.

They are anthropomorphic characters with a conventional depiction that is seemingly as much derived from cartoon characters at times as it is derived from actual animals. Certainly the abundance of cross-animal fursonas and fursonas based on entirely fictitious animals (or mythical creatures like dragons - though there is some debate as to whether a dragon is a furry or a scaly apparently) suggests that fidelity to nature is not what is actually desired.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't know all that much about the subculture, and Muppetface gives a very good summary of the nuances within the community. 

Here's a comparison (and since Muppetface is reading Judith Butler at the moment she might groan a bit at this):

Drag queens are often quite different from transexuals in that the drag performances aren't really about looking and acting like normal females. Rather they exaggerate female qualities and conventions and combine them into a hyper sexualised performance that mocks gender codes as much as reinforces them. The actual failure to be female is built into the performance like a wink to the audience, like when drag queens wear beards.

I'm not suggesting that furries are like drag queens (it seems less performative and more personal), but I do think that faulting furries for not being animals is like faulting a drag queen for not being a woman, or a child playing doctor for not curing the sick - it misses the point entirely. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back