The diary entries of a little girl nearing 30!
Jul 25, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #10,591 of 15,119
Quote:

I can dribble, but I can't shoot.  In school, our coach had us doing a drill where you dribble to the other end of the court, shoot a free throw, then after you make it, you pass to the next guy.  After about 10 missed shots, the coach just yelled "Next!"  I didn't make the team...

Oh, shooting's relatively easy. There are plenty of videos on youtube about the mechanics. You'll be surprised what you can do with a couple of hours over one weekend. 

My favorite one: http://www.youtube.com/user/ShotScience

The tough part of dribbling for me is getting the right and left sides of my body to work in some kind of symphony. I guess it'll come with practice. Hopefully I'll be known as the pharmacist with the wicked jumpshot.

Jul 25, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #10,592 of 15,119
Quote:

Oh, shooting's relatively easy. There are plenty of videos on youtube about the mechanics. You'll be surprised what you can do with a couple of hours over one weekend. 

My favorite one: http://www.youtube.com/user/ShotScience

The tough part of dribbling for me is getting the right and left sides of my body to work in some kind of symphony. I guess it'll come with practice. Hopefully I'll be known as the pharmacist with the wicked jumpshot.

My brother is a pharmacist, and a million years ago when he was in college, his roommate was 6' 11" tall.  He was attending pharmacy school on a scholarship - but he was very uncoordinated and was a 3rd string benchwarmer.  He laughed all the way to the bank...

Jul 25, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #10,593 of 15,119
obob:  I suspect Maslow would disagree with your thoughts about caring for the other guy as much as you care about yourself.  He would probably say that you can only care about the other guy AFTER your primary needs are met.  If you (or your kids) are starving, you probably aren't going to give your last grain of rice to your neighbor.

You know I know that you know what I think of early 20th century psychology and the field in general...and I know you're just being ornery and looking to start some s**t. :tongue_smile:

Regarding basketball - I always could shoot, but ball handling is harder. I just want to carry the ball and bludgeon everyone out of my way until I get down to the goal and then shoot it in. And before you go there - I despise American Football, ironically.

Jul 25, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #10,595 of 15,119
Quote:
You know I know that you know what I think of early 20th century psychology and the field in general...and I know you're just being ornery and looking to start some s**t.
tongue_smile.gif

Regarding basketball - I always could shoot, but ball handling is harder. I just want to carry the ball and bludgeon everyone out of my way until I get down to the goal and then shoot it in. And before you go there - I despise American Football, ironically.

You caught me...  
beerchug.gif

But hey, there has to be some use for those "organizational development" classes I took when I got my MBA - and this one sounded like it might be fun.  Next I'll ask if you are an ESTJ, INFP or ****...

Jul 25, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #10,596 of 15,119
You caught me...  :beerchug:

But hey, there has to be some use for those "organizational development" classes I took when I got my MBA - and this one sounded like it might be fun.  Next I'll ask if you are an ESTJ, INFP or ****...

The first (and only) time I seriously took an MBTI I got whatever the rarest personality type was (I forget the name FLA; should say: I don't care enough to remember). Usually if I'm faced with a "personality type test" or some other nonsense, I troll the hell out of it. I'll gladly tell whatever armchair psychoanalyst wannabe with an MSW or whatever other degree that I wet my bed, play with fire, and have recurring fantasies about hurting animals. And other assorted lunacy (I hear voices, I talk back to them, my toaster is my best friend, my fridge has tried to eat me, I've gone back in time and met Jesus, you know - stuff like that). They usually get so huffy and uptight about the whole thing...And if that doesn't get them, I tell them that I have been diagnosed with Witigo Complex or some other absurd disease (that I can't actually get because it doesn't exist within my culture) and that I'm feeling kind of apprehensive about being inside...:veryevil: I know, I'm terrible, but what's the point in living if you don't have some fun.

Also I'll admit that whenever I see the modern psychobabble acronyms, all I can think of is NTSF:SD:SUV::

Jul 25, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #10,597 of 15,119
As a 25+ year corporate slave that has done time in a dozen companies, I have been subjected to every organizational development & quality management flavor of the month:  TQM, Quality Circles, Kaizen, Six Sigma, Deming, T-groups, you name it...

I think my favorite was when a consultant came in, turned off the lights, played soothing ocean sounds and told us to put our heads on the table and close our eyes.  He then spent 20 minutes telling us to visualize ourselves walking along the beach and letting the waves carry our conflict and stress out to sea while the sunshine bathed down on us to show us the path to greater productivity....

That project was canceled 3 months later!  
tongue.gif

Jul 25, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #10,598 of 15,119
Magick,
You're a bad man for showing this China-Hiend-Audio website, it's like being at a buffet, I want everything. Are they legit or is it just purdy pictures?

Sure are, they sold me the one I just purchased. I'm considering getting these mono blocks for my 2ch speaker rig.

http://www.china-hifi-audio.com/meixing-mingda-mc845ab-tube-mono-block-power-amplifier-pair-p-368.html

Mmm... sexy. :cool:

Edit: Oh, and if you feel nervous, they do take Paypal, so you do get that added protection.

Jul 25, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #10,601 of 15,119
One of the things on my "want to do that someday" list is build a tube amp.  I'm not much of a DIY guy, but I think I can solder well enough for that - as long as there are no teeny-tiny bits I can generally put the heat in the right place without burning a hole in either my project or my fingers.

Jul 25, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #10,602 of 15,119
One of the things on my "want to do that someday" list is build a tube amp.  I'm not much of a DIY guy, but I think I can solder well enough for that - as long as there are no teeny-tiny bits I can generally put the heat in the right place without burning a hole in either my project or my fingers.

I completed a DIY kit without any prior knowledge or experience. It isn't hard, you should just buy a kit some time and put it together. It's a load of fun.

Jul 25, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #10,604 of 15,119
Meh, I'd pay a buck for a good tone generator app. Oh wait, I did. Does much more than that Cardas thing, too.

http://www.performanceaudio.com/apps/tonegeneratorpro/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back