The diary entries of a little girl nearing 30!
Jul 26, 2012 at 4:06 AM Post #10,606 of 15,119
Quote:

Real CF or DiNoc? Inquiring minds want to know.

I've confirmed those are real Carbon fiber face-plates that are hand crafted. They will also offer face plates in Wood, Alligator Skin and Shark skin :wink:. Those options will be on a limited basis though. Can't have PETA shutting them down now can we? lol
devil_face.gif

Jul 26, 2012 at 7:41 AM Post #10,607 of 15,119
I've confirmed those are real Carbon fiber face-plates that are hand crafted. They will also offer face plates in Wood, Alligator Skin and Shark skin :wink:. Those options will be on a limited basis though. Can't have PETA shutting them down now can we? lol :devil_face:

Aren't the later two illegal in some jurisdictions? (I know when I shipped some stuff to a buyer in Australia I had to specifically declare that I wasn't shipping animal products off of a list of endangered/poached species, for example).

Still, very neat.

billybob,

I've heard the Bottlehead kits are a good place to start - never tried one myself, but that's what I've heard.

Magick,

You were supposed to say "no, it's a scam, don't spend $texas there on all of the shiny and pretty looking toys" :p

I found a multi-channel amp there that's begging to be mated with my old digital preamp, and some mono blocks, and etc etc etc. :eek:

Jul 26, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #10,608 of 15,119
I can't believe some of you guys have never been to that site!  They are all over eBay - you guys must hang-out only at the expensive gear websites.  I guess there are advantages to being a bottom feeder!  
tongue.gif

Jul 26, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #10,609 of 15,119
I can't believe some of you guys have never been to that site!  They are all over eBay - you guys must hang-out only at the expensive gear websites.  I guess there are advantages to being a bottom feeder!  :p

I'm aware of most of the gear on that site, never seen that retailer though. :xf_eek:

Jul 26, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #10,610 of 15,119
I've heard the Bottlehead kits are a good place to start - never tried one myself, but that's what I've heard.

I started my DIY adventures with the Crack + Speedball. It is pretty easy (well the Crack side was) and I spent a weekend slowly building it.

Now I want to build my own ß22 but have no time any more.

Jul 26, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #10,611 of 15,119
News from Leckerton:

Quote:
Hello,

My test amplifier shows that an input pad works as I expect. Another  solution I can suggest is to decrease the output volume of your  source. This would also allow you to turn the volume up at the  amplifier, and would not require changing anything on the amp. Have  you tried this?

Regards,
 Nick

I told him none of my portable sources allow this (which is true) and he offered to mod my amp :)

I received my Rx 3 MK-B today and have listened to it a bit with my Signature Pros and the 334's.  As I posted before, Caleb said they were going to send me a unit with a lowered gain, and I think they did, since I have a decent amount of usable volume with the Fitears, but I'm not 100% sure.  My stopping point on most tracks with the 334's is just past 3 o'clock (volume starts around 1).  On most amps this wouldn't be in my comfort zone, but the Rx 3's volume knob is so tight I don't see myself accidently turning it higher. I still wish the gain was a bit lower than it is.  I feel like, with a portable amp, it should be assumed that the low gain setting is really IEM friendly, whereas this is just usable.  If the balanced output is any louder (which it probably is?), I don't think balanced IEM's would be usable at all.  Do note, though, that I'm running it out of the CLAS, which seems to have twice the lineout volume of an iPod although that shouldn't excuse it because iPod -> CLAS -> amp is kind of ALO's thing; you should be able to assume they test their amps with it.

Sonic impressions:  Sounds pretty good so far.  In my mind I tend to evaluate mids before anything else and they have this great sense of texture and authority to them that the HP-P1's integrated amp doesn't.  Bass seems really quick, clean, and powerful to boot.  Iuno about treble yet.  I'm posting here as opposed to the Rx3 thread because my impressions obviously aren't very mature.

Rantiness:  Should a $650 pocket amp that's supposedly been under development for two years really have background noise and channel imbalance?  The channel imbalance extends further than that of the HP-P1's integrated amp too, and the amp in that thing isn't even lauded as being all that great, nor is it expensive when you consider how much of the unit's cost is just the DAC.  The background noise isn;t an issue when music is playing and it's strangely higher when the amp is at lower volumes, but hearing it when my music is paused definitely effects my enjoyment of the product itself.  As I was getting at the other day, this interest of mine isn't all that rational. 

Jul 26, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #10,612 of 15,119
I'm aware of most of the gear on that site, never seen that retailer though. :xf_eek:

Here's another, they're cheaper on some things.

http://www.china-highend-hifi.com/prod01123412422621345.htm

Watch the shipping charges, use a credit card (no debit), and stick with Paypal.

God, those amps are killing me. Here they are in real life, check out the size of them (the ones on the floor). :cool:

Jul 26, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #10,614 of 15,119
Magick,
That is just gorgeous. Yours?

No, from an ad I read on their site. They're the "alternate amplification" I'm considering for the Wilsons, when I'm craving some tube sound. They're impressively priced, about 1/3 the retail of comparable Carys, with better specs and looks.

http://www.mei-xing.com/english/English/cp/2_845-AB.html

Jul 26, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #10,616 of 15,119
I started my DIY adventures with the Crack + Speedball. It is pretty easy (well the Crack side was) and I spent a weekend slowly building it.
Now I want to build my own ß22 but have no time any more.

Ack the B22.

I'm closing the 1 year mark on my Beta22 build, and it still doesn't work.

Jul 26, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #10,618 of 15,119
Quote:
Has anyone in this thread ever read an entire 6moons review?

Yes, but it's been a very long time - several years ago.

Jul 26, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #10,620 of 15,119

Users who are viewing this thread

Back