The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Sep 12, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #201 of 21,761
Quote:

I'm meeting with a furry friend tomorrow actually. He is trying to get into an art/design course and wants some input on his folio submission. I wonder how many works he will submit with his fursona...

Maybe only if he's really good at anthro drawings he will put some anthro art on his portfolio.

Sep 12, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #204 of 21,761
maverickronin vs Clip Zip
 ​
Round 2
 ​
FIGHT!

Sep 12, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #205 of 21,761
Sony a99 looks so sleek.

I need to read-up on the "transparent mirror" thing that allows them to eliminate the pentaprism. I haven't been following cameras recently and that one took me by surprise. I've had too many decades of camera-to-eye to give up on the viewfinder - it's the only way the camera feels stable to me.

Sep 12, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #207 of 21,761
Quote:
maverickronin vs Clip Zip
 ​
Round 2
 ​
FIGHT!

Still not liking the sound of that...
The seller on amazon that sold me the microSD 64GB card cancelled the order! :frowning2: ... bought it from another seller now... Let's see...

(BTW, haven't received my Clip Zip yet...)

Sep 12, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #209 of 21,761
Let's hope we can make this part 2 a better place.

I'm starting to realize how little free time I have in university. Between colleges, commuting, making exercises, and preparing for lectures I hardly have any time left. Especially because I'm also going out late more often than usual. One of the good things of this is that I always study Japanese whenever I'm riding the train, meaning I get to study Japanese frequently and consistently. Which are the most important things when studying a language, in my experience.

I'm also starting to realize that being a student is a very expensive hobby. Even in my situation where I get a couple hundred bucks per month, still live with my parents, free public transport, and have tuition paid for me by my dad's company. Unfortunately beer and food is not cheap. Nor are books. I've got a couple people that might want tuition from me, so that could be a nice source of income. But I'm still debating whether I should sacrifice too much of my weekend or not for work, since university might get very tough in the near future for me.

On a completely different note: today I tried naginata (kinda like kendo, but with a 'naginata', i.e. a Japanese halberd). I liked it, but I also realized how incredibly difficult this is, especially at the beginning. I want to try it, but I'm afraid of wading through the steep learning curve. While I tried naginata today, I'll actually be doing kendo. Since naginata is always on Wednesdays, and I have me Wednesday evening reserved for something else already. Looking forward to my first kendo training on Monday.

I am sad because this thread does not include "Electric Boogaloo" in the title.

It should be Eclectic Boogaloo instead. It's actually a pretty good album, though I'm not sure if any of you would know it.

Sep 12, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #210 of 21,761
Dear Diary,

So I found a good condition pair of Koss ESP / 10 electrostatic headphones and matching energizer, complete with the original carry case and papers. The price was fairly reasonable, so I decided to claim it. This was the followup to the ESP 9, and the predecessor to the ESP 950.

In other related news, someone contacted me about the HE60 and offered one in "like new condition," wanting to know how much I'd offer. I asked for some more details. Does it include the HEV70, the box, the papers? Are the o-rings in tact? The stators free of noise? I also mentioned that pictures would go a long way in helping me determine how much to offer, or if I'd even want to offer anything. I didn't get a response for a week or so. I sent a follow up, asking if they were still available and if he could please give me more info. He replied in two lines: "They are like new. I haven't had time to take pictures."

LOL. Sometimes less is more. Sometimes it isn't.

Hopefully this will turn out to be something positive.

I've been enamored with the Liquid Lightning, and have pretty much decided on getting one. I had planned to put in my order around Friday or so, having been told there were two units left at the beginning of the week. I got an e-mail saying they had just sold the last one yesterday.

;____;

The next production run will be in February of next year. However! I'll be getting a refurbished unit, basically repaired by Alex to be like new after a shipping issue involving some of the internals. There'll be a discount too. I can hold onto the demo unit for the time being, so I'm pleased in the end with how it all turned out more or less.

I'll be returning the Liquid Glass this Friday, so hopefully the second pair of tubes I'm waiting on will arrive, and I can experiment with rolling them a bit before then. As awesome as the Liquid Glass sounds, I'm personally hoping the Liquid Gold will be released eventually. That's the one I'm most interested in, aside from the LL.

A friend of mine let me try out his Symphones Magnum V4 modded Grados, something I've been wanting to try for a while now. This particular build is rather nice, consisting of a custom lambskin headband and wood cups that were crafted by a DIYer with the username Cabillas who apparently no longer makes them. Giving them a listen, I can hear what the fuss is about. They aren't any more detailed than the RS-1 to my ears, however tonally they have a more balanced sound signature somewhat akin to vintage John Grado (those "pink drivers" that aren't actually pink...). The top end in particular is much more amiable to my ears, though it still retains the immediacy and bite that fans of the Grado house-sound cherish so much. There's a bit of warmth to the sound overall; apparently metal cups render the Magnum drivers somewhat more cleanly with less resonance, whereas the wood gives a somewhat more euphonic sound.

I've gotten a few offers on pairs of Magnums (I can't help but think of condoms when I type that word out). Some of the builds are quite nice. I've also gotten offers on various cups by themselves, along with an offer by my friend to assemble a pair for me with whatever parts I scrounge together. I like the idea of going this route, as it would allow me to customize my pair; there are small businesses that offer gimbals and headbands of various styles, so there seem to be quite a few options.

As I previously mentioned, this semester has involved re-reading quite a bit of contemporary thought. I find myself being drawn back toward post-structuralism and psychoanalysis, specifically Lacan; as with my headphone hobby, I tend to cycle through different moods and changes in taste with regard to what amount to little more than masturbatory intellectual exercises. I'm still rather neoplatonic by nature, but I tend to explore alternative views for periods of time, entertaining them as "what ifs." I don't necessarily have to agree to benefit, as on the one hand they provide a challenge in and of themselves and are stimulating when one attempts to parse through their logic (or lack thereof); on the other hand it helps to strengthen my own approach when I can define it by the contours of what it's not. Which is rather Derrida-esque or Lacanian itself, I suppose.

In this instance, I find myself applying Lacan to the specifics of this hobby, using his writings as a tool to frame the behaviors of certain head-fiers and audiophiles. Perhaps head-fi is a manifestation of the Symbolic Order, a network of audiophile terminology---signifiers---which leads to yet more terminology. It cannot however fully encompass the Real, the dimension of music listening which people seem to equate with magic or a certain primordial response, and so the remainder is manifest in that never-ending quest for "the perfect" headphone. Whatever newest FOTM is released is Objet Petit a, and people rush to acquire it, consume it, defend it against naysayers. But ultimately find it unsatisfying. So they move on, continually trying to find that special piece of gear that will satisfy their longing, but to no avail.

XoXo 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back