The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Sep 12, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #211 of 21,761
Quote:
It should be Eclectic Boogaloo instead. It's actually a pretty good album, though I'm not sure if any of you would know it.

Dr. Steel is pretty well known on the Internet. I remember seeing some wiki articles about him totally ripping off another guy's act. Either way, I do like his sense of theatre (but not his music so much).

Sep 12, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #212 of 21,761
Dr. Steel is pretty well known on the Internet. I remember seeing some wiki articles about him totally ripping off another guy's act. Either way, I do like his sense of theatre (but not his music so much).

He's pretty well-know, I'm aware of that. But it's not like I expect everyone to know him.

I do like his music to be honest. Though not on a frequent basis; once every other month or less is good.

Sep 12, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #213 of 21,761
Quote:
I'm starting to realize how little free time I have in university. Between colleges, commuting, making exercises, and preparing for lectures I hardly have any time left. 

I'm also starting to realize that being a student is a very expensive hobby.

Well aren't you a good student. I can't wait to see what you have to say junior year. I think that's about when I used up the last (excuse the language, but that's about the only way I can describe it) **** I had left to give. Now I'm just on auto-pilot.

It is. As for food, here's a way to restore some dignity to your diet. Boil and egg, and boil your traditional 20c ramen noodles in a separate pot. When both are cooked, cut up the hardboiled egg into fine pieces into the strained ramen. I personally don't like to strain the noodles completely so I'll have a little "juice." Then, season it to your liking. 

I call it Egg ramen-a-la-Walmart

Sep 12, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #214 of 21,761
Well aren't you a good student. I can't wait to see what you have to say junior year. I think that's about when I used up the last (excuse the language, but that's about the only way I can describe it) **** I had left to give. Now I'm just on auto-pilot.

It is. As for food, here's a way to restore some dignity to your diet. Boil and egg, and boil your traditional 20c ramen noodles in a separate pot. When both are cooked, cut up the hardboiled egg into fine pieces into the strained ramen. I personally don't like to strain the noodles completely so I'll have a little "juice." Then, season it to your liking. 

Preparing for lectures? It means spending 5 minutes reading the notes or text books related to the course I'm following.

I always stir fry my ramen and add soy sauce and whatever leftover ingredients I find in the fridge.
I'm still living with my parent so most of the time I eat at home (and for free). However, sometimes I go out with others and eat at a restaurant (of course one supplying cheap meals for students). A meal there is usually around €8. Which is incredibly cheap compared to normal restaurants, but after eating out a couple times + beer, you can easily spend a lot of money in a month.

Sep 12, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #215 of 21,761
Quote:
Preparing for lectures? It means spending 5 minutes reading the notes or text books related to the course I'm following.
I always stir fry my ramen and add soy sauce and whatever leftover ingredients I find in the fridge.
I'm still living with my parent so most of the time I eat at home (and for free). However, sometimes I go out with others and eat at a restaurant (of course one supplying cheap meals for students). A meal there is usually around €8. Which is incredibly cheap compared to normal restaurants, but after eating out a couple times + beer, you can easily spend a lot of money in a month.

Oh. Lucky man. I realized this summer how much I miss my mother's cooking.

Btw, what's the drinking age over there?

Sep 12, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #216 of 21,761
Quote:

That's beginner ramen.

Moderate: Crack the egg right over the boiling ramen. It'll cook through and you've saved yourself a pot to clean.

Advanced: Save the cutting board and knife for the chives and greens and chunks of carrots you should also chop up and add in.

God mode: Add some kimchi, slices of fish sausage and spam or hot dog, some ddok, and sprinkle liberally with red chili powder. Now you've got yourself a good budae jigae and you won't have to eat for the rest of the day.

Sep 12, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #219 of 21,761
Quote:
Still not liking the sound of that...
The seller on amazon that sold me the microSD 64GB card cancelled the order! :frowning2: ... bought it from another seller now... Let's see...

(BTW, haven't received my Clip Zip yet...)

So far, my second one is working

Skinner-esqe superstitious tip: First thing you do, update the stock firmware to the latest version.

Quote:

So I found a good condition pair of Koss ESP / 10 electrostatic headphones and matching energizer, complete with the original carry case and papers. The price was fairly reasonable, so I decided to claim it. This was the followup to the ESP 9, and the predecessor to the ESP 950.

From that grainy picture they look like ghetto immitations of the SAx000/Qualia.  Wonder how they sound...

Quote:

In other related news, someone contacted me about the HE60 and offered one in "like new condition," wanting to know how much I'd offer. I asked for some more details. Does it include the HEV70, the box, the papers? Are the o-rings in tact? The stators free of noise? I also mentioned that pictures would go a long way in helping me determine how much to offer, or if I'd even want to offer anything. I didn't get a response for a week or so. I sent a follow up, asking if they were still available and if he could please give me more info. He replied in two lines: "They are like new. I haven't had time to take pictures."

LOL. Sometimes less is more. Sometimes it isn't.

Hopefully this will turn out to be something positive.

what

Quote:

I've been enamored with the Liquid Lightning, and have pretty much decided on getting one. I had planned to put in my order around Friday or so, having been told there were two units left at the beginning of the week. I got an e-mail saying they had just sold the last one yesterday.

;____;

The next production run will be in February of next year. However! I'll be getting a refurbished unit, basically repaired by Alex to be like new after a shipping issue involving some of the internals. There'll be a discount too. I can hold onto the demo unit for the time being, so I'm pleased in the end with how it all turned out more or less.

I'll be returning the Liquid Glass this Friday, so hopefully the second pair of tubes I'm waiting on will arrive, and I can experiment with rolling them a bit before then. As awesome as the Liquid Glass sounds, I'm personally hoping the Liquid Gold will be released eventually. That's the one I'm most interested in, aside from the LL.

Cool.  Are you getting that one with a Senn bias jack?

Quote:
A friend of mine let me try out his Symphones Magnum V4 modded Grados, something I've been wanting to try for a while now. This particular build is rather nice, consisting of a custom lambskin headband and wood cups that were crafted by a DIYer with the username Cabillas who apparently no longer makes them. Giving them a listen, I can hear what the fuss is about. They aren't any more detailed than the RS-1 to my ears, however tonally they have a more balanced sound signature somewhat akin to vintage John Grado (those "pink drivers" that aren't actually pink...). The top end in particular is much more amiable to my ears, though it still retains the immediacy and bite that fans of the Grado house-sound cherish so much. There's a bit of warmth to the sound overall; apparently metal cups render the Magnum drivers somewhat more cleanly with less resonance, whereas the wood gives a somewhat more euphonic sound.

I've gotten a few offers on pairs of Magnums (I can't help but think of condoms when I type that word out). Some of the builds are quite nice. I've also gotten offers on various cups by themselves, along with an offer by my friend to assemble a pair for me with whatever parts I scrounge together. I like the idea of going this route, as it would allow me to customize my pair; there are small businesses that offer gimbals and headbands of various styles, so there seem to be quite a few options.

What would a girl like you know about that? 
wink_face.gif
  I think of .357 and .44, but that's just me.

I should put those on my "to try" list.  A Grado the kept the flavor and got rid of the pain sounds appealing.  Have any idea of what sort of combo you'd go for - color, materials, cup shape/size, etc?  I'm thinking a shark skin headband...

Quote:
As I previously mentioned, this semester has involved re-reading quite a bit of contemporary thought. I find myself being drawn back toward post-structuralism and psychoanalysis, specifically Lacan; as with my headphone hobby, I tend to cycle through different moods and changes in taste with regard to what amount to little more than masturbatory intellectual exercises. I'm still rather neoplatonic by nature, but I tend to explore alternative views for periods of time, entertaining them as "what ifs." I don't necessarily have to agree to benefit, as on the one hand they provide a challenge in and of themselves and are stimulating when one attempts to parse through their logic (or lack thereof); on the other hand it helps to strengthen my own approach when I can define it by the contours of what it's not. Which is rather Derrida-esque or Lacanian itself, I suppose.

In this instance, I find myself applying Lacan to the specifics of this hobby, using his writings as a tool to frame the behaviors of certain head-fiers and audiophiles. Perhaps head-fi is a manifestation of the Symbolic Order, a network of audiophile terminology---signifiers---which leads to yet more terminology. It cannot however fully encompass the Real, the dimension of music listening which people seem to equate with magic or a certain primordial response, and so the remainder is manifest in that never-ending quest for "the perfect" headphone. Whatever newest FOTM is released is Objet Petit a, and people rush to acquire it, consume it, defend it against naysayers. But ultimately find it unsatisfying. So they move on, continually trying to find that special piece of gear that will satisfy their longing, but to no avail.

I think you're going way over all our heads here.  You're at least going over mine.  Derrida and Lacan have not entered my meme-pool through pop-cultural osmosis. 
frown.gif

Sep 12, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #221 of 21,761
Quote:

That's beginner ramen.

Moderate: Crack the egg right over the boiling ramen. It'll cook through and you've saved yourself a pot to clean.

Advanced: Save the cutting board and knife for the chives and greens and chunks of carrots you should also chop up and add in.

God mode: Add some kimchi, slices of fish sausage and spam or hot dog, some ddok, and sprinkle liberally with red chili powder. Now you've got yourself a good budae jigae and you won't have to eat for the rest of the day.

I don't really like how the egg gets when you boil it with the ramen. As for God mode, remember we're trying to keep it under $1/meal here 
tongue.gif

Sep 12, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #222 of 21,761
The new plugs were said to be fully digital >_< . I'll hope that person just said it by accident, if it was fully digital then we wouldn't and seriously looking at it, I think it's gone, why would Apple have a seperate connector on the new switches just for audio? Very few people would hhave a use for it like that. BUT then again, there are docks that B and W are using that plug in directly

so it is still unknown if the new very small pluggs will support analog out from the DAC, depending on how you analyze it as I have said above, it could or couldn't have it. Let's await more details

Now the new earphons the earpods look interesting, the back ports were said to increase bass and side ones to increase vocal performance as Apple said more air = better performance. Just paraphrasing here, they would be nice to get a hold of and try as those earpods would probably be everywhere in a few years, so if the performance is good then hey, why not. The stock apple earbuds can already be said to be decent, lifeless and harsh, but "flatter" than many other paid earphones and not to mention they are stock free and worldwide iconic.

Sep 12, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #223 of 21,761
Quote:
So I found a good condition pair of Koss ESP / 10 electrostatic headphones and matching energizer, complete with the original carry case and papers. The price was fairly reasonable, so I decided to claim it. This was the followup to the ESP 9, and the predecessor to the ESP 950.

Be sure to start a thread about how awesome it is...

More seriously, keep us updated. Hopefully it works as well as it looks (in its 1970s suburban living room sort of way).

In this instance, I find myself applying Lacan to the specifics of this hobby, using his writings as a tool to frame the behaviors of certain head-fiers and audiophiles. Perhaps head-fi is a manifestation of the Symbolic Order, a network of audiophile terminology---signifiers---which leads to yet more terminology. It cannot however fully encompass the Real, the dimension of music listening which people seem to equate with magic or a certain primordial response, and so the remainder is manifest in that never-ending quest for "the perfect" headphone. Whatever newest FOTM is released is Objet Petit a, and people rush to acquire it, consume it, defend it against naysayers. But ultimately find it unsatisfying. So they move on, continually trying to find that special piece of gear that will satisfy their longing, but to no avail.

Arguments about subjective/objective and such that go on here often make me wish more people would read at least some of the popularizations of the structuralist and post-structuralist critiques. It always seems to me that these things have been hashed out pretty thoroughly by people who were a lot more capable of considering the natures of creation and observation, even if these people felt they had to construct a new critical language in order to do it. (Which was not necessarily a good thing, forty years along, but I think they were earnest about what they were trying to do at the time.) Or maybe it's just because I feel like sometimes that if I have to endure one more discussion anywhere about how a creator's intentions are filtered by their audience's intentions (the essential problem of human interface design), I will plotz.

Sep 12, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #224 of 21,761
Awesome! I am going to go to my nearest apple store and start bragging about how android is better than IOS.:veryevil:

It is? :p

Oh, saw this and decided that when Jackson dies, I'm going to do everything I possibly can to get one!

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecFukIIXWyA[/VIDEO]

Edit: Actually, I just read about how they destroy every piece of furniture you own and can't be trained to do otherwise. Bummer.

Well, there's always a pet fox, there's a breeder of domesticated foxes just a couple counties over from me.

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXy9QxKqUQo[/VIDEO]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back