The Astell & Kern AK240
Oct 25, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #5,687 of 9,131
Oct 25, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #5,688 of 9,131
  The DAC driver is here. http://www.iriverinc.com/lounge/loungeView.asp?sno=1093
You need to switch the AK240 to MTP mode if you want to copy, move, rename or delete files/folders because in DAC mode it can only be used as a USB DAC. Sometimes, it may be necessary to unplug/re-plug the USB cable before the AK240 shows up again in Windows Explorer.

Thanks.But,I already connect it with MTP mode.I didn't try DAC mode yet.

How is DAC performance ?

Oct 26, 2014 at 6:41 AM Post #5,691 of 9,131

Sigh . . . 
confused_face(1).gif

I don't know how to take your comment, but let me walk you through some of the issues I read and still remember about the AK240. I welcome corrections if I made any mistakes:

1. You cannot move data or rename folders once you copied them on the player.
2. There was someone complaining about the way songs play in terms of order. I also heard there are issues with some of htem being displayed as unknown even if they're appropriatley tagged.
3. The Wi-Fi capability needs a lot of work.
4. Apple users shouldn't use third party software to transfer files to and from a $2,500 player.
5. Extremely poor battery life for the price.
6. I heard it can take up to 40+ minutes for files on SD card to be indexed.
7. Long startup time. I don't want to wait about a minute until my player starts. This is worse than bootup time of a laptop.

Now these are but some of the things I recall from reading the forums in the last few months. I'm not into the player as much as I was in the beginning, since with $2,500 I can get myself an almost top of the line MacBook Pro or anything else of that caliber that actually delivers. So my take is that spending all this money for something that still has plenty of issues to work out is unacceptable given the fact iBasso (if I recall correctly) as a similar player which is almost equal in sound quality to the Ak240. Not to mention it comes in at around $500.

I'm actually sick of companies offering buggy products for extremely high prices by tempting people with their cool features, while behind the curtain there are still plenty of (important) issues to work out.

Oct 26, 2014 at 6:50 AM Post #5,692 of 9,131

I don't know how to take your comment, but let me walk you through some of the issues I read and still remember about the AK240. I welcome corrections if I made any mistakes:

2. There was someone complaining about the way songs play in terms of order. I also heard there are issues with some of htem being displayed as unknown even if they're appropriatley tagged.
4. Apple users shouldn't use third party software to transfer files to and from a $2,500 player.
7. Long startup time. I don't want to wait about a minute until my player starts. This is worse than bootup time of a laptop.

Now these are but some of the things I recall from reading the forums in the last few months. I'm not into the player as much as I was in the beginning, since with $2,500 I can get myself an almost top of the line MacBook Pro or anything else of that caliber that actually delivers. So my take is that spending all this money for something that still has plenty of issues to work out is unacceptable given the fact iBasso (if I recall correctly) as a similar player which is almost equal in sound quality to the Ak240. Not to mention it comes in at around $500.

I'm actually sick of companies offering buggy products for extremely high prices by tempting people with their cool features, while behind the curtain there are still plenty of (important) issues to work out.

err... I respect iBasso throughly with myself having the DX50 and having tried the DX90 as well but it comes no where close to AK240.

Oct 26, 2014 at 6:59 AM Post #5,693 of 9,131

Do you actually or have owned the this DAP? Or spent 20+ hours listening to it? Because, IMO while some of your 7 points are true, some more than others, it sounds so frigging good that its worth all of its shortcomings. And I am an apple fan boy, because of the reliability and ease in which its products operate.

Oct 26, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #5,694 of 9,131
I tried to answer some of your points in red below.

Quote:

1. You cannot move data or rename folders once you copied them on the player. My understanding is that this is a limitation of the android file transfer software. 
2. There was someone complaining about the way songs play in terms of order. I also heard there are issues with some of htem being displayed as unknown even if they're appropriatley tagged. All my music is tagged within iTunes and has zero issues with playing in order.  I do use media rage to quickly change band names with 'The' in front for sorting purposes and to embed album art. I actually think the random capability on my AK240 is better than my iPhone.
3. The Wi-Fi capability needs a lot of work. I haven't used this except to update firmware, so I can't say one way or the other
4. Apple users shouldn't use third party software to transfer files to and from a $2,500 player. ​As a relative android newb, my understanding is that this is an issue with android, not AK/iRiver
5. Extremely poor battery life for the price. Seems on par with 'audiophile' grade daps.  None of them are breaking the 20 hour barrier that I know of.
6. I heard it can take up to 40+ minutes for files on SD card to be indexed. ​All my music is on internal memory, so can't say about this one.
7. Long startup time. I don't want to wait about a minute until my player starts. This is worse than bootup time of a laptop. My player starts up in under 26 seconds.  Currently all music is on internal memory, so I'm not sure if having an SD card loaded makes a difference.

Now these are but some of the things I recall from reading the forums in the last few months. I'm not into the player as much as I was in the beginning, since with $2,500 I can get myself an almost top of the line MacBook Pro or anything else of that caliber that actually delivers. So my take is that spending all this money for something that still has plenty of issues to work out is unacceptable given the fact iBasso (if I recall correctly) as a similar player which is almost equal in sound quality to the Ak240. Not to mention it comes in at around $500. Certainly a reasonable way of thinking about spending hard earned dollars, although I disagree about plenty of issues to work out. The price is certainly in the silly territory and there are a lot of useful things one could buy instead, then again I'm a sucker for gadgets, especially one as beautiful and well made as the AK240.

I'm actually sick of companies offering buggy products for extremely high prices by tempting people with their cool features, while behind the curtain there are still plenty of (important) issues to work out. I don't find the player buggy at all.  In fact it is the first alternative 'audiophile' player to an Apple product that I like and find comparable.  The original AK100 was buggy to me but I really like the AK240 UI. 

Oct 26, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #5,695 of 9,131
I also believe that as new firmware updates are available, more bugs/problems will be fixed.

Oct 26, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #5,696 of 9,131
These makers aren't Apple. That's simply it. It is a much bigger deal for them to achieve that level of polish. Also, Apple aren't going to make any effort to make iTunes compatible with third party products, because when those products change and it breaks compatibility they will blame Apple. This has happened in the past.

As for battery life, you get a choice between power and battery life. There are no free lunches here.

Oct 26, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #5,698 of 9,131
My sigh was due to the fact that your posting provided no value to the forum.  We learned nothing new other that you don't like a product due to what you have heard or read.  While these can certainly be included in postings they need to compliment an experience or a question etc.  What you posted was a rant based not on experience but on what you have heard from others. Further, your rant wasn't interesting, insightful or even original.  Lastly, many of the issues you put in your latest post demonstrate a lack of knowledge. Examples:

1) Load times take a long time - This is an Android issue and not the DAP.

2) Battery life is poor - It's in the ballpark with other powerful DAPs.  DAPs like the AK240 require copious amounts of power but consumers require DAP's size and weight to be within set limits so the result is lower battery life.

3) Apple users shouldn't be required to use a third party application to load software - This is wrong in two parts. First, the "third party" application is required by Google to load data to an Android device from the OS X platform.  Second, the "third party" application is from Google who you might be know is the publisher of the Android operating system and therefore is not a "third party" application.

I could go on but I have lost interest and no longer want to spend anymore time and effort on this topic.  My suggestion to you is become educated on a topic as well as take the time to experience a solution before you rant. 

Oct 26, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #5,699 of 9,131
  My sigh was due to the fact that your posting provided no value to the forum.  We learned nothing new other that you don't like a product due to what you have heard or read.  While these can certainly be included in postings they need to compliment an experience or a question etc.  What you posted was a rant based not on experience but on what you have heard from others. Further, your rant wasn't interesting, insightful or even original.  Lastly, many of the issues you put in your latest post demonstrate a lack of knowledge. Examples:

1) Load times take a long time - This is an Android issue and not the DAP.

2) Battery life is poor - It's in the ballpark with other powerful DAPs.  DAPs like the AK240 require copious amounts of power but consumers require DAP's size and weight to be within set limits so the result is lower battery life.

3) Apple users shouldn't be required to use a third party application to load software - This is wrong in two parts. First, the "third party" application is required by Google to load data to an Android device from the OS X platform.  Second, the "third party" application is from Google who you might be know is the publisher of the Android operating system and therefore is not a "third party" application.

I could go on but I have lost interest and no longer want to spend anymore time and effort on this topic.  My suggestion to you is become educated on a topic as well as take the time to experience a solution before you rant. 

+1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back