The Astell & Kern AK120
Nov 25, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #6,361 of 7,071
  Hello everybody,

I'm seriously thinking to buy an AK 100 or 120, I'm also looking at Cowon P1.
My main use will be reading my Flac library on my Hifi system, as I don't want to build a home network with a Nas or to swith on my tv or to use a tablet to be able to select a track or an album, I think the AK or Cowon high quality sources can be an interesting option.

But to be clear I don't find any shop around me where to try it on a Hi Fi system, can you give me your feedback about sound quality etc with such devices used in "stand alone" mode ?
I mean plugged by RCA on a HiFi amp ?

Is it worth the price ? Or is it better to go on more entry level system and a DAC ?

Let me know.

Thanks

I don't think the AK100/120 is the best choice for a home hifi system. There are tons of full sized units that you can control with an iPad/iPhone/android that will do the job at least as well. 

Nov 25, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #6,362 of 7,071
If you want portable in a home situation I am seeing quite a few Hugo's appearing as the DAC of choice in some quite high end systems of late!

Nov 26, 2014 at 2:31 AM Post #6,363 of 7,071

I don't think the AK100/120 is the best choice for a home hifi system. There are tons of full sized units that you can control with an iPad/iPhone/android that will do the job at least as well. 

Yes but I don't want / need a tablet, I want something simple.
A full size unit meens hard drive, + the unit + something to control and launch tracks etc
I want something simple, and I was wondering if a high quality device like the A&K or a cowon was the right choice.

If you want portable in a home situation I am seeing quite a few Hugo's appearing as the DAC of choice in some quite high end systems of late!

Chord Hugo is not in my budget range.

But if I understand your offers, you mean it's better to get a DAC, then to choose a transport ?
The A&K was interesting in my mind because of his capacity to be used as USB DAC, but you seems to be clear on that, looks not interesting as a Home HiFi system player.

Sorry if my english is not perfect, hope you got me.

Nov 26, 2014 at 2:54 AM Post #6,364 of 7,071
  Yes but I don't want / need a tablet, I want something simple.
A full size unit meens hard drive, + the unit + something to control and launch tracks etc
I want something simple, and I was wondering if a high quality device like the A&K or a cowon was the right choice.

Chord Hugo is not in my budget range.

But if I understand your offers, you mean it's better to get a DAC, then to choose a transport ?
The A&K was interesting in my mind because of his capacity to be used as USB DAC, but you seems to be clear on that, looks not interesting as a Home HiFi system player.

Sorry if my english is not perfect, hope you got me.

I was pretty happy with the SQ straight out from the AK100 -> Sunfire amp -> Speakers

Nov 26, 2014 at 3:04 AM Post #6,365 of 7,071
I was thinking that with a device like this:
http://store.sony.com/500gb-hi-res-music-player-system-zid27-HAPS1//cat-27-catid-All-Res-Audio
you don't have as many trade offs for portability as you would with an AK120. There seem to be these types of players in all price ranges. 

Nov 26, 2014 at 3:51 AM Post #6,366 of 7,071
  I was thinking that with a device like this:
http://store.sony.com/500gb-hi-res-music-player-system-zid27-HAPS1//cat-27-catid-All-Res-Audio
you don't have as many trade offs for portability as you would with an AK120. There seem to be these types of players in all price ranges. 

Ok thanks, but I allready have an amp and Focal speakers, I don't need another amp.

It's really hard to choose, too many options, too many possibilities to listen at my flac library.

Nov 26, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #6,367 of 7,071
I think you can contact Red Wine Audio. I think they will have much better understanding about the device, maybe they have parts and knowledge to fix it at a cost.

*don't take my words too seriously, I have yet to own an AK device, but I'm going to get 1 soon. And I've read a little here and there.

Anyone here knows if Vinnie will do this kind of fix? Let me know! Thanks :)

Nov 27, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #6,372 of 7,071
I can attest to Vinnie's great customer service. My original 120 S Mod needed to have one of the chips changed out. He repaired it under warranty. No guarantee he can repair the SD slot though.

Nov 28, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #6,373 of 7,071
A side benefit to using the glove on the AK120 is it seems to have ended one of the most annoying things about the 120 for me, the back selection of tracks. I always needed to do two precise presses of the back button Togo back to the beginning of the track playing. One pres would have taken me to the previous track played. Now it works as every other player I have used does which is one push to start the track over, two to go to the previous track!

Nov 28, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #6,374 of 7,071
Oh, and a heads up! I think it's still on, Centrance are having a Thanksgiving sale, type in THANKS14 in the coupon section on the checkout and you save $120 on the cost of the glove!

Dec 1, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #6,375 of 7,071
I had an interesting problem on a plane over Thanksgiving weekend. I have a new file that is 192/24 that is one long double album (bin master rip of Physical Graffiti 1:20). As soon as the player's screen went to sleep, the file started breaking up. If I touched the power button to wake up the screen it played fine. Sort of a bummer. Was fine on shorter tracks and lower resolutions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back