The Astell & Kern AK120
Nov 22, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #6,346 of 7,071
Titanium does darken with age if my titanium wrist watch is anything to go by, it does develope patina ...

Hmmm, you really think it's real Titanium, and not just a coloring?  I really think the AK case is aluminum that is Anodized to what ever color AK chooses: example the 'new' Blue Note AK240 that is....blue. I doubt there's any real Titanium there, and if there is, its only a few microns thick. Be very careful...it may rub/buff off and leave the shinny aluminum body color showing through!

Nov 22, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #6,347 of 7,071

Hmmm, you really think it's real Titanium, and not just a coloring?  I really think the AK case is aluminum that is Anodized to what ever color AK chooses: example the 'new' Blue Note AK240 that is....blue. I doubt there's any real Titanium there, and if there is, its only a few microns thick. Be very careful...it may rub/buff off and leave the shinny aluminum body color showing through!

Yep, this is the issue unfortunately - fairly certain it's just an anodised coating on an aluminium body to give a titanium effect. Any hard rubbing/buffing is out, as well as using cleaning solutions past mild soap and water, without risking damage to the anodised layer. It's pretty frustrating!

Nov 22, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #6,348 of 7,071
  Yep, this is the issue unfortunately - fairly certain it's just an anodised coating on an aluminium body to give a titanium effect. Any hard rubbing/buffing is out, as well as using cleaning solutions past mild soap and water, without risking damage to the anodised layer. It's pretty frustrating!

First try 97% Rubbing Alcohol on a Q-Tip. Rub *only* in the direction of the machining marks - probably length wise. If that doesn't work try Lacquer Thinner. Don't let any get on the window or the lettering.

If neither of those work then it might be a permanent change in the color of the Anodizing, like maybe a chemical reaction to something from your fingers?

Nov 22, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #6,349 of 7,071
First try 97% Rubbing Alcohol on a Q-Tip. Rub *only* in the direction of the machining marks - probably length wise. If that doesn't work try Lacquer Thinner. Don't let any get on the window or the lettering.

If neither of those work then it might be a permanent change in the color of the Anodizing, like maybe a chemical reaction to something from your fingers?

Thanks for the tips, very much appreciated. Will certainly give those a try.

Nov 24, 2014 at 4:17 AM Post #6,350 of 7,071

The same thought I had when I saw pictures of those used AK120 TITAN on e-earphone's site. Color wearing out near the top button placement and near the side buttons. They did include "discolored" in the description. First thought the titanium color and "scratch less" will be good to go with the Mac but hesitated when I saw that. The usual black seems to be a better bet. Not sure which 1 to buy now.

Nov 24, 2014 at 5:29 AM Post #6,351 of 7,071
The same thought I had when I saw pictures of those used AK120 TITAN on e-earphone's site. Color wearing out near the top button placement and near the side buttons. They did include "discolored" in the description. First thought the titanium color and "scratch less" will be good to go with the Mac but hesitated when I saw that. The usual black seems to be a better bet. Not sure which 1 to buy now.

Now 128gb microsd cards are available, I'd probably just go with the standard black AK120 to be honest. After a few cleaning attempts, looks like there's no fixing the staining on mine. And since it's been in its case from day one, I'm not sure what kind of care you need to take for it to live a blemish-free life. Doesn't spoil my enjoyment of the sound of course, but for the price you naturally expect more.

Nov 24, 2014 at 5:39 AM Post #6,352 of 7,071
Now 128gb microsd cards are available, I'd probably just go with the standard black AK120 to be honest. After a few cleaning attempts, looks like there's no fixing the staining on mine. And since it's been in its case from day one, I'm not sure what kind of care you need to take for it to live a blemish-free life. Doesn't spoil my enjoyment of the sound of course, but for the price you naturally expect more.

Yea, since the coating quality don't really stack up the the price for it, I'll just go with the normal black version and save the money for some microSD or silver cables. A bit disappointed as I thought the titanium colour really pop in many situations. No way I will pay full retail for $1200 buying a local set, a used set from e-earphone is like less than half of the asking price. Hope don't get heavy tax at the customs.

Nov 24, 2014 at 9:18 AM Post #6,353 of 7,071
Hello everybody,

I'm seriously thinking to buy an AK 100 or 120, I'm also looking at Cowon P1.
My main use will be reading my Flac library on my Hifi system, as I don't want to build a home network with a Nas or to swith on my tv or to use a tablet to be able to select a track or an album, I think the AK or Cowon high quality sources can be an interesting option.

But to be clear I don't find any shop around me where to try it on a Hi Fi system, can you give me your feedback about sound quality etc with such devices used in "stand alone" mode ?
I mean plugged by RCA on a HiFi amp ?

Is it worth the price ? Or is it better to go on more entry level system and a DAC ?

Let me know.

Thanks

Nov 25, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #6,354 of 7,071
Did anyone here experience a "sd card cognition is failed" message for one of the sd card slots before? I tried all the firmwares and it still can't get fixed. Please let me know if you guys have any solution to this. Thanks!

Update: When I reboot the player, I can see two sd cards logo on the top left corner (this didn't happen when I first plug the sd card in, won't show sd logo until a reboot), I still can't get anything from that SD card, however.

Nov 25, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #6,355 of 7,071
Did anyone here experience a "sd card cognition is failed" message for one of the sd card slots before? I tried all the firmwares and it still can't get fixed. Please let me know if you guys have any solution to this. Thanks!

Update: When I reboot the player, I can see two sd cards logo on the top left corner (this didn't happen when I first plug the sd card in, won't show sd logo until a reboot), I still can't get anything from that SD card, however.

Possibly a defective card ? Have you tried a different card in that slot ?

Good luck....

Nov 25, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #6,356 of 7,071
Wow, your right, it's just an anodizing finish and here all along I assumed it was real Ti due to the significant cost increase! In that case the if it's under a year old I would get in touch with A&K and get then to replace the case as it's obviously defective!

Nov 25, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #6,357 of 7,071

Possibly a defective card ? Have you tried a different card in that slot ?

Good luck....

I am sure it is not a defective card because the card work in the other slot.

Nov 25, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #6,360 of 7,071
Mine is a second hand RWAK120B so I am not sure if it is still covered by iriver...

I think you can contact Red Wine Audio. I think they will have much better understanding about the device, maybe they have parts and knowledge to fix it at a cost.

*don't take my words too seriously, I have yet to own an AK device, but I'm going to get 1 soon. And I've read a little here and there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back