The Astell & Kern AK120
Jun 18, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #1,546 of 7,071
Quote:
Hello everyone,

I need your help!
I was wondering if any of you own or have used the AK120 with the Westone ES5 custume earphones. If yes, please give your impression on this setup. I'm trying to decided between buying the RWAK100 and the AK120 to use with my Weatone.
Do you think the 5 ohm in the AK120 would be an issue with the Westone ES5 20 ohm?

Thank you so much,

Output impedance is only one part of what impact the sound quality. AK120 inherently is on another level compared to the AK100 in terms of sound quality and the measured output is 3.5 (claimed 3) I can't imagine the modified AK100 would sound better.  FWIW I own the AK100 and AK120 but only demo'ed the RWAK100.

Jun 18, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #1,549 of 7,071
Quote:
Tell me about it...I should receive my AK120 tomorrow 

Mim, please post your impressions with your Miracles.

Hopefully UM Miracles will also sound good, as if I recall correctly, their impedance is around 16 ohms too.

They are 15.9  
biggrin.gif
  I am using a demo Mezzo AK100 and it took me a few hours to enjoy the pairing with the Miracles. I return home tomorrow and my AK120 is waiting for me......

Let's hope Mim has good things to say.

Jun 18, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #1,550 of 7,071
For those of you who wanted to downgrade to 1.00, please try [removed per Jmoon's request] instead. This version should have the same sound signature found on the 1.00 firmware. Please note this [removed per Jmoon's request] does not include the USB DAC feature nor DSD support. 

All of your concerns about the change in SQ have been well noted and have been forwarded to the team. If you still want v1.00 for your AK120, please let me know via PM.

Finally! Big thanks Jmoon and happy to hear our feedbacks made it to the team. :)

Jun 19, 2013 at 3:45 AM Post #1,552 of 7,071
Look what I got ! Just played a couple of songs, sounds good. The difference is very important with AK100 mod ORIGINAL firmware, less so with Listrid 2.0. But overall I would say more authority and note weight than AK100 mod. I just listened to a couple of songs though...and apparently the player need a bit of burn in. So my AK100 mod is going for sale.

Jun 19, 2013 at 3:54 AM Post #1,554 of 7,071
That's serious stuff you got there Mimouille.Is that pure silver?
I am happy for you my friend, and I hope my AK120 will be here in the next 2 days, can't wait any longer..
Will ring them today as they were really slow at answering my emails.
What closed headphones are you going to use it with, any impression?Thanks
triportsad.gif

Jun 19, 2013 at 3:57 AM Post #1,555 of 7,071
Let us know how the AK120 sounds with SE5. And comparison with TP would be great as well! 
etysmile.gif

Quote:
Look what I got ! Just played a couple of songs, sounds good. The difference is very important with AK100 mod ORIGINAL firmware, less so with Listrid 2.0. But overall I would say more authority and note weight than AK100 mod. I just listened to a couple of songs though...and apparently the player need a bit of burn in. So my AK100 mod is going for sale.

Jun 19, 2013 at 3:59 AM Post #1,556 of 7,071
Very nice mimou! Glad you like it. It does noticeably improve with some usage. The sound opens up nicely.

If those are his Miracles then that could be his gold/silver cable. Quite a bit more pricey than the silver cable (although that is also pricey :p).

Jun 19, 2013 at 4:07 AM Post #1,557 of 7,071
Quote:
That's serious stuff you got there Mimouille.Is that pure silver?
I am happy for you my friend, and I hope my AK120 will be here in the next 2 days, can't wait any longer..
Will ring them today as they were really slow at answering my emails.
What closed headphones are you going to use it with, any impression?Thanks
triportsad.gif

Thank you ! This cable is the original Tralucent Silver Gold Cable, works wonders with BA iems. Since then, Gavin has a new more ergonomic version which I use with my 1plus2. I use only only iems...ever. :)

Jun 19, 2013 at 4:09 AM Post #1,559 of 7,071
Quote:
Very nice mimou! Glad you like it. It does noticeably improve with some usage. The sound opens up nicely.

If those are his Miracles then that could be his gold/silver cable. Quite a bit more pricey than the silver cable (although that is also pricey :p).

Thanks :) Yes indeed silver / gold. You know everything I own :wink:

Jun 19, 2013 at 4:10 AM Post #1,560 of 7,071
Quote:
Thanks :) Yes indeed silver / gold. You know everything I own :wink:

I wonder why?
biggrin.gif

I'm not sure if I mentioned it earlier or not in this thread but the 8as pair extremely well on the AK120 with 1.21. I've really come to enjoy the sound the more I've used it. Could also be the gold cable has started to settle in (hadn't used it much until I got the 8As).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back