SR60-Mod
Jan 1, 2011 at 4:54 PM Post #616 of 5,004

Quote:
Quote:
The Fostex T50RP.  A very different sound that Grado though.  So depends on what you're after.  Very modable and the Thunderpants version is fantastic.

So did you get a pair? I've been thinking this would be the direction I went with my next headphone purchase but I'm trending toward doing some mods on my SR60 first.

Not yet.  They're currently out of stock at most places.  When they get back in stock I'll buy.

I'm also looking to do some pad mods for my 325is.  I don't (yet) want to open them up so I'm going to try some pad mods to alter the sound and see what happens.  I'll be watching Bill to see what ideas he floats out for grado pad modding.

Jan 1, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #617 of 5,004

Aw man seriously? No one got him a comb for Christmas?

Nope.  All I asked for was a comb and a Coca Cola t-shirt in Hebrew or Arabic - and nobody sprung for either.  For the record, I have these neighbors next to me, nice people whom i don't want to disturb, but most of my free time ends up being at night.  The drill saw gets pretty loud and I've tried, for a time, to run it in the utility room, but the saw dust is just too much for a room I'm sharing with a washer and a dryer.  So, I look forward to these Saturdays when I can run out and let 'er rip during daylight to my heart's content.  On those very special days, I come back in covered in sawdust, so I don't worry about wearing anything special - and I often leave my hair uncombed.

I think it's a way of summoning the ghost of Jeff Bridges, Blessed be the dude.  I can revel in my inner wood worker and let the good times roll.

I've spent the last three hours making second-stage shells out of cocobolo.  This wood is so hard, it took at least two of those hours to drill out ten cups using drill saws of 2 5/8" and 1 7/8" for the cup walls.  I then sanded them and lacquered them.  I'm happy to say that the lacquer is working so much better than the poly.  It's so much smoother, dries so much faster and takes a harder, glass-like finish.  Between last night and today, I was able to apply five coats to the inner-shell "undies - and the results are good enough that I'm sorely tempted to quit while I'm ahead.  Today's cups are showing promise.  I sanded them a little more than the others.  With the lacquer, I'm started to see some really cool rings and colors in the cocobolo.

Jan 1, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #621 of 5,004
Hey Bill...I think rather than make my own cups like I was thinking in my comments on the RS1 thread, that I'll just buy some cups from Jmoney. Sent an email inquiry last night. I had already pretty much decided on getting some G cush pads for my HF2, so once my 60 is modded I'll have some bowl pads and some bagel pads to switch back and forth. Now I just need to find somebody to solder the cable for me and I'll be set. I dont have a solder iron and I dont really want to mess with it. seperating the driver from the plastic air chamber and gluing it into the new wooden one seems easy enough. Punching the holes seems easy enough too. I suppose I could just leave the cable alone but you seem pretty convincing that the 24 awg silver is worth the investment. All things considered it looks like it's probably going to cost me $130 to $150 for the wood cups from Jmoney, $40 to 50 for the new cable, and $45 or so for the G cush pads. So it's either going to be like flushing a couple hundred dollars down the toilet to bastardize my beloved SR60's; or a couple hundred dollars to have something that looks good hanging next to my HF2's. Hopefully they sound good too. This seems like a funner way to chase sound than a new DAC or amp, albeit a potentially expensive one.

Happy New Year everyone!

Jan 1, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #622 of 5,004

Quote:
Hey Bill...I think rather than make my own cups like I was thinking in my comments on the RS1 thread, that I'll just buy some cups from Jmoney. Sent an email inquiry last night. I had already pretty much decided on getting some G cush pads for my HF2, so once my 60 is modded I'll have some bowl pads and some bagel pads to switch back and forth. Now I just need to find somebody to solder the cable for me and I'll be set. I dont have a solder iron and I dont really want to mess with it. seperating the driver from the plastic air chamber and gluing it into the new wooden one seems easy enough. Punching the holes seems easy enough too. I suppose I could just leave the cable alone but you seem pretty convincing that the 24 awg silver is worth the investment. All things considered it looks like it's probably going to cost me $130 to $150 for the wood cups from Jmoney, $40 to 50 for the new cable, and $45 or so for the G cush pads. So it's either going to be like flushing a couple hundred dollars down the toilet to bastardize my beloved SR60's; or a couple hundred dollars to have something that looks good hanging next to my HF2's. Hopefully they sound good too. This seems like a funner way to chase sound than a new DAC or amp, albeit a potentially expensive one.

Happy New Year everyone!

They'll sound good as long as you don't use the g cush pads.

Jan 1, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #623 of 5,004

Quote:
They'll sound good as long as you don't use the g cush pads.

That's sort of a subjective thing though isnt it Bob, I'm not going to be listening with your ears. I've read where a number of head fier's have gotten the G cush pads and liked them. i've seen others say not so much. So the response has really been a mixed bag. The thing is I wont know how they sound for myself without trying them out myself. It may be that I prefer the bowls but the investment would allow me to have the comfies that I have on my 60 now, the bowls from the HF2, and the bagels. Three pairs of pads to intermingle with two headphones. First things firdt though. First I have to get the wooden cups from Jmoney. I sent an email to them yesterday.

Plus my on again off again quest to rescue a dog might be back on again. Adoption fees usually range in the $200 to $300 range. So my disposable income for the SR60 mod may get postponed. I want the dog more than I want another set of headphones.

Jan 1, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #624 of 5,004
The G-Cush pads sounded sibilant on my unamped iPod when I was wearing them with my GS1000.  In one of my exchanges with Purrin, he reminded me that the GS1000 has a very sharp upper end, which would help explain the trouble I had with the jumbos.  I cut them back but later discovered that I didn't have to, and wouldn't have had to, if I had simply amped the GS1000 with my M^3 with variable bass boost.  Those same pads did not create sibilance issues with my modded SR60s or the PS1000.  

I cling to the view that an HF2, if vented like a PS1000, would have about as good a chance of sounding like a PS1000 as any headphone on the planet (or my name ain't Nathan Arizona).  I should get a pair of jumbos to see how they sound with these cocobolo shells.

Jan 2, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #626 of 5,004

Quote:
The G-Cush pads sounded sibilant on my unamped iPod when I was wearing them with my GS1000.  In one of my exchanges with Purrin, he reminded me that the GS1000 has a very sharp upper end, which would help explain the trouble I had with the jumbos.  I cut them back but later discovered that I didn't have to, and wouldn't have had to, if I had simply amped the GS1000 with my M^3 with variable bass boost.  Those same pads did not create sibilance issues with my modded SR60s or the PS1000.  

I cling to the view that an HF2, if vented like a PS1000, would have about as good a chance of sounding like a PS1000 as any headphone on the planet (or my name ain't Nathan Arizona).  I should get a pair of jumbos to see how they sound with these cocobolo shells.

Bill those things are beautiful.  Maybe all I need is a hunk of nice wood and some help from my neighbor. I've been groping around the last few minutes trying to find an alternative headband to attach them too. No luck yet. 

Jan 2, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #628 of 5,004
Quote:
show photos of your finished grado

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHahahahaha...

'Finished'.

That would be nice, eh?

Jan 2, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #629 of 5,004

Quote:
Quote:
show photos of your finished grado

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHahahahaha...

'Finished'.

That would be nice, eh?

*chuckles*

I'm finished. Except for my cable, I have a new one coming in any day now. Have a picture.

Hopefully the Jumbos will leave my house any day now (I'm looking at you, Bill)

Oh, and I just finished cleaning up my desk, it no longer looks so messy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back