SR60-Mod
Jan 5, 2011 at 10:05 AM Post #646 of 5,004
I just ordered 4ft of 4 braided silver wire and some nylon mesh from Homegrown Audio. Dismantling, punching holes, and recabling to commence soon
biggrin.gif

Jan 5, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #647 of 5,004
So, I had an amazing Idea, which I may attempt (but likely fail) to put into action. Steampunk Grado SR60? Wood covers, black mesh grill, curve thin diameter copper pipe to replace the C's on the gimbals. Copper rod to replace the metal rod, and a headband that looks something like <===>, formed by two bent peices of brass rod. the gimble toppers would have to be wood however, and I'm not so sure how I'd make the wood gimble toppers or the brass collars to hold the gimble in place however. Any ideas?

Jan 6, 2011 at 7:28 AM Post #648 of 5,004
like this?

or more akin to this?

Jan 6, 2011 at 9:05 AM Post #649 of 5,004
I don't have much in the way of advice on how to actually do it, but that would be pure win if you were able to construct some steampunk Grados

Jan 6, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #651 of 5,004
My thoughts were simpler, just replacing the gimbles/pads with a copper/brass tube frame, retaining the wood cups (wouldn't want to affect sound) and maybe doing the mesh grill in copper (or leaving it black to tie in the black foam pads). We will see if it ever happens, hahah.

Jan 7, 2011 at 9:17 AM Post #653 of 5,004

This is an absolutely awesome thread. Thank you Bill for all of the great documentation.
beerchug.gif

Thanks!  People have really taken to it.  There are a lot of creative minds out there.

In an unrelated note, the Bolivian rosewood came yesterday.  I got a block of it, which I'm hoping to put to good use.  I really like this stuff (which comes packed covered in wax to keep it dry).  It's hard and it's heavy but it's beautiful and more reasonably priced than the Brazilian rosewood that's legal to buy and sell.

I don't know yet how it stacks up to Brazilian rosewood (I won't get that lumber till next week) but I'm looking forward to finding out.

Jan 7, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #654 of 5,004

Quote:
I modded these for a (very patient) friend who said he didn't want the silver wire, since the 225i comes with the four-connector cable, but on my other projects I'm going to make silver a mainstay.  I can't convince everybody that this is good stuff but I just love it.  I feel like I've walked into a debate between silver fanatics and silver skeptics, with the fanatics giving testimonials over the benefit of their $500 cables and the skeptics laughing at $500 wire.  For $50, I made my own four-braid 99.99% silver cable and it was the best $50 I ever spent.  If it cost me $500, I'd choke and sputter, too, but what's $50 in this hobby?

hi billavideo, i really enjoy your thread
L3000.gif

may i know where did you buy those 24awg 4 braided silver wire?

Jan 7, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #655 of 5,004

Quote:
I modded these for a (very patient) friend who said he didn't want the silver wire, since the 225i comes with the four-connector cable, but on my other projects I'm going to make silver a mainstay.  I can't convince everybody that this is good stuff but I just love it.  I feel like I've walked into a debate between silver fanatics and silver skeptics, with the fanatics giving testimonials over the benefit of their $500 cables and the skeptics laughing at $500 wire.  For $50, I made my own four-braid 99.99% silver cable and it was the best $50 I ever spent.  If it cost me $500, I'd choke and sputter, too, but what's $50 in this hobby?

hi billavideo, i really enjoy your thread
L3000.gif

may i know where did you buy those 24awg 4 braided silver wire?

There are a variety of outlets online.  I went to Homegrown Audio.  There are also people selling silver on Ebay.

Jan 7, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #656 of 5,004
Hey everyone, this is my first post here. Great thread, lots of very good information here.

I recently bought a pair of SR-80i brand new and decided to do some of the mods in this thread.
- Removed the button and plastic grill and replaced it with a black metalic mesh
- Removed the white silk like lining
- Punched all 10 holes in the back of the driver
- Quarter modded the s-cushion pads
- Removed the vinyl headband and replaced it with a brown JMoney lambskin headband.

I have a question though... this thread mentions damping the interior of the enclosure and the driver with some felt to attenuate the HFs but I haven't really had the need to do that, is that normal? The headphones definitely have more refined bass, a bigger kick but the highs and mids are still as sharp as they were before the mods... Maybe I did something wrong? Any ideas?

I'm mostly listen to FLAC files on my Sansa Clip+ and music just sounds amazing...

The end result is this...

Jan 7, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #657 of 5,004
It doesn't hurt to try right? A packet of felt tabs is $2 from the hardware store, and if you don't like the sound then you can just remove the felt and stick it back under your furniture
biggrin.gif

Jan 7, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #658 of 5,004

Quote:
Hey everyone, this is my first post here. Great thread, lots of very good information here.

I recently bought a pair of SR-80i brand new and decided to do some of the mods in this thread.
- Removed the button and plastic grill and replaced it with a black metalic mesh
- Removed the vinyl headband and replaced it with a brown JMoney lambskin headband.

I have a question though... this thread mentions damping the interior of the enclosure and the driver with some felt to attenuate the HFs but I haven't really had the need to do that, is that normal? The headphones definitely have more refined bass, a bigger kick but the highs and mids are still as sharp as they were before the mods... Maybe I did something wrong? Any ideas?

I'm mostly listen to FLAC files on my Sansa Clip+ and music just sounds amazing...

I found the highs to be sharp, so I damped the interior with dynamat (similar to felt) and it helps get rid of the plastic sound that the grados have. It doesn't get rid of it, but it makes it less blaring.

Jan 7, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #659 of 5,004

Quote:

Quote:

I found the highs to be sharp, so I damped the interior with dynamat (similar to felt) and it helps get rid of the plastic sound that the grados have. It doesn't get rid of it, but it makes it less blaring.

I love the brown headband. I purchased one a few weeks back. I know its wrong but I have it on with the padded side out. Seem to get a better fit. Besides it was replaced for looks not comfort. The original headband never bothered me comfortwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back