SR60-Mod
Jan 10, 2011 at 1:26 AM Post #676 of 5,004

Hey Bilavideo...

After following this thread closely, I finally found the courage to take apart my 325is and do these mods. I have to commend you for your extremely detailed explanation and pictures which makes these mods possible for people like me who are a little bit of a coward (paranoid if you will) when it comes to taking apart the cans. Having done it now, I can only say that it was actually easier than it appeared but would not have been possible without your detailed sharing. 

I did the driver venting, damping and grill cloth removal mods. I am not sure why in the hell I went ahead and vented 8 holes without trying out 4 first. 8 was definitely too much for me. It brought out some mid bass which I didn't appreciate so it went back in and covered 4. With just 4 holes, the sound was every inch perfect to me and the 325is is now a very very different beast altogether. I just can't keep it off my head :)

I meant to ask you one other thing - as you already know, the 325is has this plastic ring in the aluminium chamber. I presume it is there to prevent the drivers from being pushed too far into the chambers. I understand from one of your posts that you had this ring removed. Three questions:

1) How did you remove the ring?
2) How does it sound after that? Is the difference gained worth removing the ring from the chambers?
3) Without the ring in the chamber, how would you know how far you can push the drivers into the chambers? 

I am very keen in removing those rings but the above questions are what preventing me from doing so at the moment. I thought I should write to you and get your views before attempting. Thanks a heap for your time and your effort in sharing these wonderful mods. Because of them, I found a new love in my 325is :) Have a great one dude!

Thanks for the kind word.  I appreciate the encouragement and am glad these mods worked out for you.  In the "more is not necessarily better" category, I think a lot of Headfiers who've tried the mod like four holes better than the full 10.  It's what Grado does on its big cans.  Like you, I went for the full ten - probably out of sheer curiosity.  One good reason to go easy on the venting is to prevent a bit of overkill that would make it perhaps too easy to get all that bass.  At one end of the extreme, the bass is always playing catchup with the treble.  At the other end, bass is beautifully full on bass-anemic tracks but there's always an issue of cone breakup.  I'm hesitant to dope the drivers, but there may be a case for doing so with all the holes vented.  On the DT770, all eight holes are vented but the driver is covered in a rubbery substance that was probably sprayed out of a can.

With regard to the ring in the SR325, it's evil.  I'd get rid of it.  Some say it's there to prevent the plastic from being pushed in too far.  Maybe.  It may be there to keep the grill, which isn't welded in, from slipping back.  Whatever the case, it affects the sound.  Get rid of it and the sound will improve.  It is the source of some form of resonance because when I took mine out, the presentation was smoother - and addictive.  Yes, I really like the SR325 with these problems stripped away.  It really does give its big brothers a run for their money.

The SR325 can and will survive the loss of this plastic ring.  Like a lot of design elements, it's probably the brainchild of somebody who was thinking about it "on paper."  If the aluminum shell were too big for the plastic front cup, a ring would definitely be useful for preventing a shift beyond a certain point.  But the coupling between the plastic and the metal is pretty snug.  It took some doing to remove them.  That same tight fit will resume when the two are put back together.  If you want more anchoring, apply some hot glue.  Just get rid of that ring.  A conspiracy theorist would suggest it's there to keep the SR325 in its place, below the woodies.  Whatever the case, the 325 definitely sounds better without it.

Jan 10, 2011 at 3:05 AM Post #677 of 5,004

Quote:
Thanks for the kind word.  I appreciate the encouragement and am glad these mods worked out for you.  In the "more is not necessarily better" category, I think a lot of Headfiers who've tried the mod like four holes better than the full 10.  It's what Grado does on its big cans.  Like you, I went for the full ten - probably out of sheer curiosity.  One good reason to go easy on the venting is to prevent a bit of overkill that would make it perhaps too easy to get all that bass.  At one end of the extreme, the bass is always playing catchup with the treble.  At the other end, bass is beautifully full on bass-anemic tracks but there's always an issue of cone breakup.  I'm hesitant to dope the drivers, but there may be a case for doing so with all the holes vented.  On the DT770, all eight holes are vented but the driver is covered in a rubbery substance that was probably sprayed out of a can.

With regard to the ring in the SR325, it's evil.  I'd get rid of it.  Some say it's there to prevent the plastic from being pushed in too far.  Maybe.  It may be there to keep the grill, which isn't welded in, from slipping back.  Whatever the case, it affects the sound.  Get rid of it and the sound will improve.  It is the source of some form of resonance because when I took mine out, the presentation was smoother - and addictive.  Yes, I really like the SR325 with these problems stripped away.  It really does give its big brothers a run for their money.

The SR325 can and will survive the loss of this plastic ring.  Like a lot of design elements, it's probably the brainchild of somebody who was thinking about it "on paper."  If the aluminum shell were too big for the plastic front cup, a ring would definitely be useful for preventing a shift beyond a certain point.  But the coupling between the plastic and the metal is pretty snug.  It took some doing to remove them.  That same tight fit will resume when the two are put back together.  If you want more anchoring, apply some hot glue.  Just get rid of that ring.  A conspiracy theorist would suggest it's there to keep the SR325 in its place, below the woodies.  Whatever the case, the 325 definitely sounds better without it.

You deserve every bit of recognition every other modder in this forum has offered. And now I'm going to add one more - after receiving your reply, I stopped whatever I was doing (listening to 325is) and took my cans apart...again. This time I was convinced the plastic ring needed to go and that is exactly what I did...

Forks off, hairdryer on, chambers off and I began tucking into the plastic ring with an extremely fine flathead screwdriver. I pried it bit by bit and you're right that it does take some considerable effort to get them loose. By the time I completed prying the entire ring, I felt like I could have used the strength to cut up a log. The plastic ring came loose and I pulled it out. As you put it, the grills were not welded down so I applied a very tiny dab of tack on each side (12, 6, 3, 9) and it felt just right. Warmed up the chamber again and I carefully put the driver back in. You're right, it was snug enough without requiring any extra glue whatsoever. I then did the same on the other chamber and in under 30 mins, I had both plastic rings removed and had put everything back in place...

Now for the ultimate test. Source on, amp on, 325is over the head and...music! Two words - Holy Hell! Make that three words - Holy Freaking Hell! The 325is sounded like a totally different can! How can two plastic rings affect sound so tremendously??? I just don't get it. The pace is scary, the bass is surreal, the mids are sweeter and the highs, extremely well defined! Come to think of it, the plastic rings were the only thing preventing the 325is drivers from "making contact" with the aluminium chambers. With the rings removed, the 325is is now a pure hybrid of plastic-aluminium layout, which is really breathtaking. I believe the wood-aluminium combo of the HF2 / PS1000 is superior but I second your notion that if you want a 325is at its best, the rings just have got to go. 

The sound is so so good that I am already contemplating taking the day off tomorrow so that I can have more listening time with my "resurgent" 325is. These are definitely not your ordinary 325is! I'm just so thrilled! All you 325is owners, trust me, this is one mod you MUST do if you want to listen to your 325is at its best. Coupled with the other mods (driver venting, grill cloth removal and damping) it will make you seriously think whether the jump to any of the RS series is worthwhile. I used to own an RS-1 (classic button version) and as far as my memory serves me, my newly modded 325is trumps it. I no longer feel the need to want to buy an RS-1 anymore. PS1000 maybe, if the price is right and I can afford one...

I take my hats off to you Bilavideo! Thank you!

Jan 10, 2011 at 3:39 AM Post #678 of 5,004

Quote:
The sound is so so good that I am already contemplating taking the day off tomorrow so that I can have more listening time with my "resurgent" 325is. These are definitely not your ordinary 325is! I'm just so thrilled! All you 325is owners, trust me, this is one mod you MUST do if you want to listen to your 325is at its best. Coupled with the other mods (driver venting, grill cloth removal and damping) it will make you seriously think whether the jump to any of the RS series is worthwhile. I used to own an RS-1 (classic button version) and as far as my memory serves me, my newly modded 325is trumps it. I no longer feel the need to want to buy an RS-1 anymore. PS1000 maybe, if the price is right and I can afford one...

This made me smile. 
redface.gif
 That's exactly how I felt when I did my mods too. Congratulations.

Jan 10, 2011 at 4:04 AM Post #679 of 5,004

Quote:
Quote:

This made me smile. 
redface.gif
 That's exactly how I felt when I did my mods too. Congratulations.

Thanks dude! Another ultimate test coming later tonight - let's see what the missus thinks. She is an avid listener also and she has a couple of albums of her own that she uses for auditioning. She was kinda pissed at me for selling off the RS-1. She says the SR325is sounded thin compared to the RS-1 and prior to these mods, I agree. I can't wait to see what she thinks of this new beast when she gets back from work later. If you are wondering, I had to sell the RS-1 then as I needed the money then to fund another project. Ever since I sold it, I truly regretted my decision...and not a day goes by I fail to think of an opportunity to buy one back. After today's mods, I can safely say that urge is entirely gone.

Yes, the new beast is THAT good!

Jan 11, 2011 at 9:09 AM Post #680 of 5,004
Latest update: The missus had her time with the resurgent beast today and her jaw dropped so hard to the ground that she was entirely convinced I upgraded the drivers or did something to my rig. In short, she loved it. She said that her favorite track, Paralelo by Carmen Cuesta has never sounded so good since the RS-1 days. You should have seen her face :) So I took some time and explained to her the mods, showed her this thread and she said "Make sure you thank Bilavideo for these wonderful sharing." So there you have it. 

Even as I type now, she's hogging onto the 325s, trying out different tracks from her favorite albums. Honestly I have not seen her so upbeat since the RS-1 days and frankly, she's only used the 325s twice. Both times she bit**ed about it. Bad. Her comments were that the 325s were too shrill and thin...and God forbid - not worth the time listening to. I know. OUCH! Although I don't think it was a fair comparison at the time since she was comparing what she heard to the RS-1. And the 325s were new back then. 

Anyway, judging by how hyped up she is, it looks like I'm going to have to split my listening time with her from now on...unless I go out and get another 325is and do these mods so both she and I has one each. After all, the RS-1 is already off my books so there just might be some spare cash for another killer 325is :)

Jan 11, 2011 at 9:26 AM Post #681 of 5,004
I wasn't too impressed with the SR325i either. It was definitely nice but it sounded a bit too metallic and sharp to my ears. With all the recent mods for Grados I really felt the urge to buy a SR-225 or SR325, though it will have to wait as I have way too many headphones right now :)
Anyway with these mods it would be interesting to mod them the MS1000 way. With opening holes and lining the pads I am sure you can combine the speed and resolution of the SR325 with the benefits from the MS1000 mod (soundstage, more layers, more audiophile bass).

So if I understand correctly, there is a plastic ring inside the metal cups of the SR-325 and that when you remove it, you will get better sound? Why did Grado put the ring in there in the first place? :p

Jan 11, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #682 of 5,004

Latest update: The missus had her time with the resurgent beast today and her jaw dropped so hard to the ground that she was entirely convinced I upgraded the drivers or did something to my rig. In short, she loved it. She said that her favorite track, Paralelo by Carmen Cuesta has never sounded so good since the RS-1 days. You should have seen her face :) So I took some time and explained to her the mods, showed her this thread and she said "Make sure you thank Bilavideo for these wonderful sharing." So there you have it. 

Even as I type now, she's hogging onto the 325s, trying out different tracks from her favorite albums. Honestly I have not seen her so upbeat since the RS-1 days and frankly, she's only used the 325s twice. Both times she bit**ed about it. Bad. Her comments were that the 325s were too shrill and thin...and God forbid - not worth the time listening to. I know. OUCH! Although I don't think it was a fair comparison at the time since she was comparing what she heard to the RS-1. And the 325s were new back then. 

Anyway, judging by how hyped up she is, it looks like I'm going to have to split my listening time with her from now on...unless I go out and get another 325is and do these mods so both she and I has one each. After all, the RS-1 is already off my books so there just might be some spare cash for another killer 325is :)

Tell your missus that her comments made my day.  Thanks again.  When I first started modding, I got a lot of sneers and jeers.  It's gratifying to see people using the mods and loving it.

Jan 11, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #683 of 5,004

So if I understand correctly, there is a plastic ring inside the metal cups of the SR-325 and that when you remove it, you will get better sound? Why did Grado put the ring in there in the first place? :p

I'm not sure.  Theories range from evil sabotage (Grado trying to prevent the $300 SR325 from competing with the RS1) to shell alignment to grill reinforcement.  I'm more of a "grill reinforcement" man.  My ring was down by the grill.  The only useful function it could serve there was to keep the grill in place possibly because Grado had no interest in welding it in.  As the SR325 was a new bird, compared to its plastic and wood cousins, this may have seemed like a workable solution.

But the ring sucks.  It really does affect the sound.  Taking it out makes a noticeable difference, one I hadn't anticipated when I found it in mine and removed it as a matter of course.

Jan 11, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #684 of 5,004
Here's where my stupid little YouTube video on how to shim the gap between homemade shells and plastic inner/front shells on the lower-priced Grados.  It's seven minutes long and only watchable because of the unexpected complications that arise when my grandson gets into the picture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weDK5SNpEk0

Jan 11, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #685 of 5,004
I just wanted to say thanks for this thread.

As a result I bought a used pair of SR60 and did a few of the mods here. I am enjoying them and glad to be back on Team Grado.

Jan 11, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #689 of 5,004
Yeah...weird...the video is like in fast forward and the audio is normal speed. The video gets finished but the audio gets cut off. 

Quote:
OK. For some reason the video is hauling butt but the sound is normal speed.......

Jan 11, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #690 of 5,004
Oh God, I hate what YouTube did to my video.  It was bad enough before they ran me like a 33 on 78.  I'm a stop-motion nightmare!  Does anybody know what (technically) is wrong with this upload?  

Oh well, the Brazilian rosewood is here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back