SR60-Mod
Dec 31, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #601 of 5,004

Quote:
Off topic. 

Are there any other headphones similar to the sr60is that take really well to modding? I'm done messing around with my sr60is, the sound I have is perfect (for some genres). The last thing I'll do is replace the inner plastic driver chamber with a wooden one, but I'm not in any rush to do that.

The Fostex T50RP.  A very different sound that Grado though.  So depends on what you're after.  Very modable and the Thunderpants version is fantastic.

Dec 31, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #602 of 5,004

Quote:
Quote:
Off topic. 

Are there any other headphones similar to the sr60is that take really well to modding? I'm done messing around with my sr60is, the sound I have is perfect (for some genres). The last thing I'll do is replace the inner plastic driver chamber with a wooden one, but I'm not in any rush to do that.

You might want to try some KSC75s.  Those drivers measure amazingly well for the price and pretty good even by standards of 'phones costing more than 20x as much.  They're just trapped in a crappy enclosure.  I'd bet they'd rock if you put them in a nice wooden shell.

I was looking for something a little higher end. I might still check them out, though

Quote:

Quote:
Off topic. 

The Fostex T50RP.  A very different sound that Grado though.  So depends on what you're after.  Very modable and the Thunderpants version is fantastic.

An ortho eh? The ortho thread is HUGE. I'll take a look. I'm looking for a different sound than a grado, BTW. 

Jan 1, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #603 of 5,004
COCOBOLO BEGINS

My friend, down in Pinellas Park, advised me to stop using poly and stick to lacquer.  Lacquer smells and it's flammable but it dries quickly, dries evenly and hardens up like glass.  I'm not there yet, but today I got a little closer.  I punched out ten "undies," the rebuilds designed to replace plastic fronts.  

This camera doesn't really do justice to it (I still can't find my cord to dump my camera's pictures onto the computer) but the lacquer really does a nice job of bringing out the color and texture of the wood - without any need for a stain.  It also gives the wood a nice shine.  This is three coats into the job.  I didn't bother to lacquer the insides of the shells, which is where you'll see rough wood and drips, but there's a method to my madness.  I could have prettied up the insides but I'm concerned about plasticating my replacement for plastic.  The rough texture will help diffuse potential sources of spikes.  I don't want to end up compromising the sound for looks - especially when nobody will ever see these insides.  The tops of these undies will have a "hat" to hold the cushion in place.  Once the driver is installed, nobody will see these insides.

I'm three coats in.  I'm hoping to put another four coats on before I buff and call it a day.  One thing that took so long in punching out these shells was the hardness of the wood.  Cocobolo really is a hard wood.  My poor drill press had an arduous job of cutting out these shells.  Between the hard sawdust that got into the grooves and the resistance of the wood, I had to cut and lift periodically.  Snapping up between cuts helped reduce heat on the blade while expelling sawdust, but it made for a much longer cutting session.  As I kept at it, I got better at avoiding the scorch marks, though I've come to like them.  The lacquer makes them look like an extra bit of variety in the wood.

Jan 1, 2011 at 2:39 AM Post #604 of 5,004
Quote:
I was looking for something a little higher end. I might still check them out, though

IMO the KSC75 driver is easily on the same technical level as the Grado Prestige drivers, but its just trapped in a much worse stock environment.  The Fostex driver is on another level though.  FWIR it will give you best closed headphone short of an R10 or 4070.

Jan 1, 2011 at 2:50 AM Post #605 of 5,004

Quote:
Quote:

IMO the KSC75 driver is easily on the same technical level as the Grado Prestige drivers, but its just trapped in a much worse stock environment.  The Fostex driver is on another level though.  FWIR it will give you best closed headphone short of an R10 or 4070.

Yeah, I wasn't doubting the driver at all, I was just looking for an upgrade rather than a sidegrade. That said, I don't like closed headphones, so I think I'm out of luck.

Jan 1, 2011 at 3:43 AM Post #606 of 5,004

Quote:

Quote:
Off topic. 

Oh goodness the ortho thread is nuts. They're always happy to bring more people into the fold though.

As another mod, I saw someone once wondering about trying to transplant the grado drivers into a Sony MDR-F1 shell. That would be pretty cool. Now you're taking the shell out of the equation entirely.

I think Ultrasones are pretty popular for modding as well.

Jan 1, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #607 of 5,004

Quote:
Oh goodness the ortho thread is nuts. They're always happy to bring more people into the fold though.

Not as nuts as Bilavideo and this thread. 
floatsmile.png

Jan 1, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #612 of 5,004

Quote:

So did you get a pair? I've been thinking this would be the direction I went with my next headphone purchase but I'm trending toward doing some mods on my SR60 first.

Jan 1, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #615 of 5,004

...wow. How Grados do you have to require that many?! Or you could just be messing around with different experiments with those I guess...
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, I wasn't doubting the driver at all, I was just looking for an upgrade rather than a sidegrade. That said, I don't like closed headphones, so I think I'm out of luck.

You can try to make a pair of Leakypants, but not too sure how well that'll work. But if you're adventurous and don't mind experimenting on your own... Short of that, there are the SFI drivers, which also require a lot of tinkering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back