Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Dec 31, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #2,583 of 7,711

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-Walkman-NW-ZX1-NW-F880-series-only-Screen-Protector-PRF-NWH40-Japan-WoW-/281233032384?pt=US_Personal_CD_Players&hash=item417acb84c0

Thanks, kinda pricey though. 
eek.gif

Dec 31, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #2,584 of 7,711
For now our best bet should be getting WMC-NWH10 first

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/offer-listing/B00FF086HE

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-WMC-NWH10-Hi-Res-Audio-Output-for-USB-Conversion-Cable-for-UDA-1-Japan-/271310977023

Then add male USB to male mini USB adapter / cable

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/USB-A-to-Mini-B-5-Pin-Data-Cable-Adapter-for-MP3-DC-/110925845691

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/USB-A-male-right-angle-to-Mini-5-pin-left-angle-adapter-/140600089537

In the long run, someone might have the balls to disect WMC-NWH10 and figure out what the pin configurations are.

I did post something related before but so far nobody wanna take the plunge yet

http://www.head-fi.org/t/680853/sony-nwz-zx1-35th-walkman-anniversary-model/450#post_9858609

Basically WMC-NWH10 should be only thing available on the market right now with all pins required for OTG (USB Host mode) to work properly.

WMP-NWM10 only worked for charging and USB Client mode so most likely that won't be very helpful for an external DAC.

do you have any idea of what type of USB is on the WMC-NWH10... is it 2.0 or higher?

thanks for the heads up on the adapters.

Dec 31, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #2,585 of 7,711

Thanks, kinda pricey though. 
eek.gif

I buggered up the one I got from PJ so I had to get another.. I got a few bits of dust under the film, when I lifted it I tried to pick a piece of the underside but ended up having a fingerprint on it so it had to go... I don't see why I should fork out £500 to stare at my own fingerprint, it's just not cricket.

Dec 31, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #2,587 of 7,711

I buggered up the one I got from PJ so I had to get another.. I got a few bits of dust under the film, when I lifted it I tried to pick a piece of the underside but ended up having a fingerprint on it so it had to go... I don't see why I should fork out £500 to stare at my own fingerprint, it's just not cricket.

Yea, applying them is always tricky. I followed a tip that I read somewhere, to apply them in a bathroom or somewhere there isn't much fabric. 

Dec 31, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #2,588 of 7,711
This is my first post.  New to the forum, needless to say.  Started this hobby about a year ago, and I have quickly reached the point where I really need a "support group," in order to bounce off ideas and to pick up experienced-based knowledge/information from others who share my interest. 

As my first venture into the forum, I wanted to get your advice/opinions on my portable rig.  I have been amping my ZX-1 with an RXmk3-b+ to drive LCD-XC and a couple of mid-fi cans (Sony MDR-1RBT and B&O H6). Fantastic sound signature, although I do wonder from time to time whether there would be a significant advantage in bypassing the amp on ZX-1.  However, with my JH16 Pro, the hiss (white noise) from RXmk3-b+ is annoying enough for me to really consider another amping option that would allow me to enjoy both the LCDs as well as my CIEMs…I should be getting the new Roxannes from JH audio in a couple of weeks as well, so synergy with CIEMs will be quite important.  I just never liked the PHA-1 and would like to avoid PHA-2 if I could, although it is probably the most seamless solution.  Besides, I am not sure if PHA-2 can really properly drive my LCD-XC…I listen to a mix of ALAC and FLAC files with a decent selection of high res material.  

Any suggestion/guidance on the following would be very much appreciated:

1) Is there a significant advantage in terms of SQ in using an external DAC with ZX1?
2) If so, which DAC/Amp combination would be the most suitable given my situation?  If not, is there an amp-only solution that makes sense here, or should I just keep my RXmk3-b+ and get a separate, low output amp for my IEMs?  

Many thanks in advance for your guidance, and I look forward to (hopefully) making contribution to the forum in the future.

Dec 31, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #2,589 of 7,711
  This is my first post.  New to the forum, needless to say.  Started this hobby about a year ago, and I have quickly reached the point where I really need a "support group," in order to bounce off ideas and to pick up experienced-based knowledge/information from others who share my interest. 

As my first venture into the forum, I wanted to get your advice/opinions on my portable rig.  I have been amping my ZX-1 with an RXmk3-b+ to drive LCD-XC and a couple of mid-fi cans (Sony MDR-1RBT and B&O H6). Fantastic sound signature, although I do wonder from time to time whether there would be a significant advantage in bypassing the amp on ZX-1.  However, with my JH16 Pro, the hiss (white noise) from RXmk3-b+ is annoying enough for me to really consider another amping option that would allow me to enjoy both the LCDs as well as my CIEMs…I should be getting the new Roxannes from JH audio in a couple of weeks as well, so synergy with CIEMs will be quite important.  I just never liked the PHA-1 and would like to avoid PHA-2 if I could, although it is probably the most seamless solution.  Besides, I am not sure if PHA-2 can really properly drive my LCD-XC…I listen to a mix of ALAC and FLAC files with a decent selection of high res material.  

Any suggestion/guidance on the following would be very much appreciated:

1) Is there a significant advantage in terms of SQ in using an external DAC with ZX1?
2) If so, which DAC/Amp combination would be the most suitable given my situation?  If not, is there an amp-only solution that makes sense here, or should I just keep my RXmk3-b+ and get a separate, low output amp for my IEMs?  

Many thanks in advance for your guidance, and I look forward to (hopefully) making contribution to the forum in the future.

Congratulations on your 1st post to Head-Fi and looks like you've been a quiet lurker and absorber with all the high end setups you've got with you and in the queue! Also you're in Tokyo so Akema****e Omedetou Gozaimasu - there's a mini Tokyo HF group PM me off line if you wanna join :D.

To your question, I think it kinda depends on what external DAC/Amp you're thinking of using. I've been experimenting around a little (picked up an Apex Glacier from Fujiya in Nakano yesterday) and on my quick listen with my Alpha Dogs/FitEar MH335DW/TH-900, I didn't benefit much by using the Apex Glacier as an external DAC. Trying the Tralucent DACAmp One prototype the ZX1 sounds to be no par but I need a greater listen (not to mention that it's still a prototype). The PHA-2 on the other hand did seem to improve over the ZX1.

But you could be right in that the PHA-2 may not have what it takes to drive your LCD-XC. I had it driving my Alpha Dogs fine though. I guess your best bet is to bring your XCs over to e-earphone, Fujiya or the Sony Ginza store to try there.

Alternatively you could consider sticking to the ZX1 as the transport source and look into the Cypherlabs Algorhythm Duet new amp which has a lower noise floor than the Rx Mk3 B+.

In general though I've been very very impressed with the ZX1 that I use it as it is with my easy-to-drive IEMs.

N.B. I found the ZX1 and the Roxannes can be a little "shrilling" 'cos to my ears the ZX1 tends to lean a little on the bright side and to my ears the high end of the trebles on the Rox can be a little peaky. I preferred the Rox with the HM-901 in that case.

Dec 31, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #2,590 of 7,711
AnakChan,

Thank you for your quick and thoughtful response and AkeOme to you as well.   I admit that I have been lurking around the forum for the past half year or so, and I have been thoroughly impressed by everyone's knowledge and wisdom.  Very happy to finally join the forum.  I will reach out to you separately to inquire about the Tokyo HF Group.  

Based on your feedback, I think one solution is maybe to go with PHA-2 and use it to drive my IEMs, but use it as a DAC for my RXmk3-b+ when I am listening to my harder-to-drive cans such as the LCDs.  I will head over to e-earphone and try out all possible configurations before I make the plunge.  My experience with JH16 and ZX-1 (no amping) has actually been pretty good, so not picking up anything at all could be one of the possible outcomes, depending on my visit.

Too bad to hear about your impression on the Rox-ZX-1 combo.  Is it still too bright even when you turn on the bass knob on the Rox?  I guess the bass knob, at least theoretically, is not supposed to affect the treble anyway... I think I should be getting mine within a couple of weeks  -  a JH rep told me that I was No.30 on their original que - so hopefully I will be able to report my initial impressions with various sources pretty soon.  My primary desktop setup is iMac(Audirvana)-Onkyo DAC-100S-Woo WA6SE and I also have a WA7 and a Meridian Explorer in my office.  Fiio X3 is the only DAP I have other than the ZX-1, and I never could pull the trigger on the AK100/120 for some reason.  Given your impression with the Rox-ZX1 combo, Fiio X3 may be a surprisingly good match with the Rox, if I can live with the lower resolution.    

In any case, many, many thanks for your advice, and I will let you know if I make any progress : )

Jan 1, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #2,591 of 7,711
No one has really talked about zx1 + ES5 so Ill chime in. I picked up a ZX1 in Tokyo about a week ago (on vacation here) and before this I have always used iPhone 4S as DAP. I never bought another dap because of horror stories and ui issues, but I decided to just buy zx1 since it seemed very popular/good battery life/128 GB storage/I could get for cheaper in Japan and resell if I wanted to. I would say it is definitely brighter than neutral like others have reluctantly stated; not a bad thing with ES5s but It can annoy my rather sensitive ears at times with select songs(being honest, I prefer the rolled off treble of the ES5s). It's biggest advantage over iPhone 4s audio wise is the soundstage, it is really nice withwise. It is also more detailed/extended in the highs and lows, to a certain extent. Electronic and instrumental/female vocal music still sounds wonderful to me and am happy with the device overall. As Sony states, I am getting 20-25 hours battery life from FLAC playback. My only annoyance with the device is the volume changer has too big increments, and you can't precisely drag it like you can on an iPhone.

For reference, with my ES5 I have thought audio quality of my NFB 11.32 to be more or less on par with my iP4s.

Jan 1, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #2,592 of 7,711
Hi guys, anyone is able to compare the sound quality of ak120 pairing with fitear togo 334 against pairing of zx1 with fitear togo 334? I am now using ak120 with fitear togo 334. Would u all advise me to change my dap to zx1 in terms of sound quality? Thanks in advance

Jan 1, 2014 at 2:16 AM Post #2,593 of 7,711
As Sony states, I am getting 20-25 hours battery life from FLAC playback.

Thanks for confirming this because that's been the only disappointment I've had with my F807. It's all well and good if I have my 6.6Ah battery pack with me but for truly portable applications (ie. long flights without a USB port in the seat), it just doesn't cut it.

What about the line output level? My F807 doesn't appear to be true line level (around 6dB lower). Is the ZX1 more faithful in this respect?

"If it sounds good to you, that's all that matters. " - Artstar

Jan 1, 2014 at 4:42 AM Post #2,595 of 7,711
Are any of using the ZX1 in place of a streamer or media player into a quality hifi/av processor?  I currently stream hi-res from a NAS via my Oppo Blu-ray player as my Sonos system only plays standard CD quality and will not be upgraded as Sonos see no large market for hires.  How does the ZX1 fare?

Is a standard Sony port to 2 phono cable all that would be needed if using the inbuilt DACs and Amp? I also use an external Rega DAC that has greatly improved on the Sonos DACs via Optical out.
Does the included ZX1 cable allow Co-ax or Optical out that would go direct to an external hi-fi DAC?

Hoping to hear from Fortis soon to sample his LX1 and amps/headphone collection! only 10 miles away so should be fun!

Happy New Year everyone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back