Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Jan 1, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #2,598 of 7,711
UI - wonderful. Adding to playlists on the fly couldn't be easier. Sound Quality - excellent. Detailed but not digital sounding.

My gripe is the weakness in driving even 'easy to drive' headphones. At full volume, the ZX1 is just adequate with my KEF M500 (32ohm), and not quite enough for the Beyerdynamic t51p (same drivers as DT1350, 60ohm). With a more demanding phone (Beyerdynamic DT250, 250ohm), the ZX1 is downright shy. IMHO Sony has really missed a trick here...if I'm being cynical I'm guessing they want to push sales of the matching amp...but with so many wonderful portable cans on the market now, a high end DAP should be able to drive them and not limit me to IEMS if I want to remain portable. 25% more power would have been nice and eminently achievable. 

Which brings me to something I found curious. Maybe I'm showing a profound lack of technical knowledge in what follows - please set me straight if there is a logical explanation.

I thought it would be great to compare 2 rigs where the DAP is just being used as transport, with DAC and amp duties handled by the Pico DAC/Amp, a lovely little thing.

1. iPod Touch 5th gen, CCK, USB into the Pico
2. ZX1, WMC-NWH10 cable, USB into the Pico

Now I am used to the Pico providing ample power to drive the DT250/250 smoothly at a large volume. Indeed with setup #1, the Pico on low gain and volume half way up, it was smooth but at the upper limit of my volume tolerance. Setup #2, the Pico on high gain and full volume was still below my pain threshold.

My question is how can this happen? In both cases the same digital file is being fed into the Pico's DAC, no? I performed this test with identical track.

Rant over. The ZX1 is still a keeper, it just could so easily have been perfection.

Jan 1, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #2,599 of 7,711
Just a friendly 'heads-up', Johann:

There's a convenient 'Search This Thread' button at the top of each forum webpage, to save you from having to read the entire thread

Glückliches neues Jahr! 
beerchug.gif

Jan 1, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #2,600 of 7,711
  My gripe is the weakness in driving even 'easy to drive' headphones. At full volume, the ZX1 is just adequate with my KEF M500 (32ohm), and not quite enough for the Beyerdynamic t51p (same drivers as DT1350, 60ohm). With a more demanding phone (Beyerdynamic DT250, 250ohm), the ZX1 is downright shy.

The Sony ZX1 has hit the sweet spot by making an audiophile DAP for sensitive iems.

There are other substitutes out there in the market to drive headphones (even the easy-to-drive ones).

Jan 1, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #2,601 of 7,711
any news about a 256 Gb version (or a version with MicroSD slot) ?   128 Gb is really too little for a collection of HD-Res files !!

Jan 1, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #2,602 of 7,711
  any news about a 256 Gb version (or a version with MicroSD slot) ?   128 Gb is really too little for a collection of HD-Res files !!

haha
but no walkman has ever had slots,,i would not keep my hopes up really

Jan 1, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #2,603 of 7,711

The Sony ZX1 has hit the sweet spot by making an audiophile DAP for sensitive iems.

There are other substitutes out there in the market to drive headphones (even the easy-to-drive ones).

What would be the minimum cost IEMs thought to do the ZX1 justice?

I only have Etymotic Research hf3s at present which I have to work really hard with placement to get much bass from my Sony A808 or iPhone.
And some AKG £100 headphones that are the complete opposite, bass heavy and no sparkle despite trying two different pairs thinking the first was broken!

Jan 1, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #2,604 of 7,711

Undoubtedly the first sentence is correct.

But a company like Sony aims for mass appeal, and the growth in "lifestyle" headphones in the last 3 years has been phenomenal. Val alone sold something like a million+ sets in 2012, I seem to recall. It would seem logical to me that a Sony's strategy should not be "let's grab x% of AK's market share in high end DAPs", but rather "let's try to get x% of Momentum/V-Moda/etc buyers to buy our high end DAP". The second strategy potentially taps into a way larger group, but your device needs to be able to drive their cans.

You may well be right and that Sony has deliberately targeted owners of sensitive IEMs here by virtue of the product design...I just believe that if this is the case, they've missed an opportunity.

Jan 1, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #2,606 of 7,711
  Undoubtedly the first sentence is correct.

But a company like Sony aims for mass appeal, and the growth in "lifestyle" headphones in the last 3 years has been phenomenal. Val alone sold something like a million+ sets in 2012, I seem to recall. It would seem logical to me that a Sony's strategy should not be "let's grab x% of AK's market share in high end DAPs", but rather "let's try to get x% of Momentum/V-Moda/etc buyers to buy our high end DAP". The second strategy potentially taps into a way larger group, but your device needs to be able to drive their cans.

You may well be right and that Sony has deliberately targeted owners of sensitive IEMs here by virtue of the product design...I just believe that if this is the case, they've missed an opportunity.

sony has been losing its market in all the segments for some time now,,mainly due to foolish decisions i would say.

Jan 1, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #2,607 of 7,711

sony has been losing its market in all the segments for some time now,,mainly due to foolish decisions i would say.

They may well have in the past but from what I can see at least with their ZX1's being sold out and having to pre-order, or with their Alpha 7(R) in the same situation.

I'm not certain if such sweeping statements are valid. There's a lot more at play in terms of volume of products they push vs what other companies, their overhead costs vs other companies, etc.

What I do know is that with the more recent offering of products in 2013 get fully booked out prior and during early stages of their release, interest in their local showrooms and galleries seem to be buzzing, size of their booths in events in comparison to their competitors, etc. contribute to the overall judgement to how well they're doing.

Back on topic, bottom line from me for my personal use, the ZX1 gets a huge thumbs up from me. I have not felt any regret in letting go of my AK120. Naturally I will be curious on competitor offerings - X5 (and upcoming X7), AK240, DX90, etc. but at least for me, the ZX1 has set a new (low) price (high) performance ratio and that's what I'll be looking at in these upcoming DAPs.

Jan 1, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #2,608 of 7,711
So I just checked the tracking and it's at my local post office. I'll get it tomorrow since there are no deliveries today. I'll have to buy a generic screen protector and tomorrow I'll cut it for the dap :) I hope this purchase takes me away from the HM901 since I was really tempted by that before I bought this dap. 

Jan 1, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #2,609 of 7,711
Did someone quoted 20-25h flac battery?
i dont come even close to 20,should i worry?
Do u turn it off when not in use?
What about shuffle, love that.

Also, anyone found a way to see whats playing w/t unlocking the player (with the stock player?)

Jan 1, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #2,610 of 7,711
I agree with Anak, sony has quite a few sold out products like the 7r, their ultra z1, their mdr1, and now this walkman. I have to pre order them in us and wait or pay crazy price to get it from ebay. I remember pouncing from store to store to get the mdr1 and z1 ultra and now the sony 7r and this walkman.

Does not seems like sony is loosing in all market segment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back