Sony EX800ST impressions
Oct 31, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #61 of 112
Today I receive my 800st. Wow, I love the smoothness of this IEM throughout the whole frequency range compare with Andromeda , I am able to listen music instrument separation and location with ease. No fatigue listening for hours. I was listen to Chesky 30th anniversary album, very good recording album.

Will listen more songs/album to explore the "real recording" sound

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2019 at 11:01 PM Post #62 of 112
What DAP are you using ? May be this IEM is easier to drive and need not balanced cable. JVC spiral dot is good and you may try Symbio Wide bore with foam for better noise isolation I think. If you feel dont comfortable you can remove the foam , depends on ear canals .
I am using HiBy R6 pro, EX definitely do benefit from power, it drives them much better then iPhone dongle. On the contrary the dongle pairs better with U12T.
I got Spiral Dots ++ today and though they are incredible and definitely the best with my BA IEMs they are not the best with EX800.

I actually use orange Symbio Wide bores which came without foam and to my ear they are absolutely best fit with EX800. Symbios have the hardest silicone of all tips I have and they reveal the EX800 magic in bass and mids the most, they also tame the treble spike very efficiently. EX800 is very weird IEM, unlike all others I had. The softer tips change sound to more the treble spike and less mids and mid bass. The harder tips tame treble spike and bring more bass and mids which I really like.

Nov 19, 2019 at 3:15 AM Post #63 of 112
I actually used L size Spinfit Cp100 for these, which is weird as I usually use M size, it's just that I like the sound more with L.
I also have tried Spinfit Twinblade on them, it also work, but tho I need to have the one with longer bore for deeper insertion.
Tried spiral dots, and the stock hybrid I don't really like the sound that much on those.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2019 at 8:15 AM Post #64 of 112
Final E tips did the trick for me.

I find EX800ST's much less sensitive to sound signature changes with tips compared to the EX1000's. They are a proper pain in the a** to get the right fit.

Nov 19, 2019 at 9:27 AM Post #65 of 112
Final E tips did the trick for me.

I find EX800ST's much less sensitive to sound signature changes with tips compared to the EX1000's. They are a proper pain in the a** to get the right fit.

I could never get a proper fit in my left ear using im70, now I can never get a proper fit with ex800 in my right ear :frowning2:

Nov 19, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #66 of 112
I think it really depends on our ear canal size which eartips suit us well. For my case, Symbio Wide Bore suits me well with better fit and noise isolation than other similar size eartips. Cheers

Nov 19, 2019 at 10:40 AM Post #67 of 112
I could never get a proper fit in my left ear using im70, now I can never get a proper fit with ex800 in my right ear :frowning2:
You may need to get customized eartips.

Nov 19, 2019 at 5:19 PM Post #68 of 112
Or try using different sized tips for L/R side.
Sony's EX/XBA fit mostly depends on tips selection. As other than the ear hanger, it's the only contact point for the IEM to hang onto.
Using different sized tips when your L/R ear have different size is just par the course.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2019 at 1:14 AM Post #69 of 112
I second the recommendation of @Sp12er3
I have been using different size tips on the right and left ear piece with good results.
I also have custom made silicone tips, which provide really secure fit and optimum seal, but mine also reduce treble.
So it's an expensive option with uncertain result.
I went back to regular tips.

Nov 21, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #70 of 112
I have settled on the Symbios as well. Personally, the best fit is using the small tip on my left ear and the medium size tip on the right ear. You might want to experiment with varying sizes since no two ears are the same.

Nov 22, 2019 at 12:34 AM Post #71 of 112
I have settled on the Symbios as well. Personally, the best fit is using the small tip on my left ear and the medium size tip on the right ear. You might want to experiment with varying sizes since no two ears are the same.

That's funny - it's the same for me! Small tip left and medium on the right...
And it's not just the size, the Pinna shape is different as well. My left ear is tricky...
Lots of trial and error. For my JVC FD02 and A&K T8iE I settled on Spinfits, which are kind of the opposite of Symbio.
Symbio is the hardest tip I have, Spinfits the softest.

Mar 2, 2020 at 2:22 AM Post #72 of 112
For people that get tired of the neutral tuning of the EX800st, you should try picking off the foam filter inside the bore, first impression it increase the vocal presence and detail much more than stock.
Just be careful as mine is old the foam already is flaking and start falling off in pieces when i start trying to poke it to pick it off, itd be risky if those peieces fell into the IEM and cover the driver as those kinds like to stick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back