Sony EX800ST impressions
Oct 20, 2019 at 4:44 AM Post #47 of 112
Sony’s stock tuning is quite different from Audio Technica’s. EX800ST is meant to be neutral and comfortable for long hour listening.

Try listening to just it and not A/B test it with other gear. If you still can't get into the groove on how it sound after your brain is used to new tuning, you can try modding it by detaching the foam/filter hole inside the nozzle.
People have been reporting drastic change in the upper registers with it off.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2019 at 12:30 AM Post #48 of 112
Oct 28, 2019 at 1:26 AM Post #49 of 112
I have the opportunity to buy one of this model for about 150$, its still worth it nowadays? Im using a DX220 as a main DAP, I always wanted the big brother EX1000 but those ones are very very difficult to find them. These ones are perfect, just few hours of use

Oct 28, 2019 at 2:37 AM Post #50 of 112
Price sounds ok. They are like 190 new in Japan, but abroad hard to get and around 220-240
SQ is good but only you can decide if they are right for you.
I‘d say it‘s worth trying and you can still sell them if you decide they are not for you.

Oct 28, 2019 at 3:36 AM Post #51 of 112
Price sounds ok. They are like 190 new in Japan, but abroad hard to get and around 220-240
I‘d say it‘s worth trying and you can still sell them if you decide they are not for you.
Maybe I can try to reduce the price to make it more worth it? I mean, I know that it deserves the money, they are a very good iem, I just wanted to know if nowadays its a good deal or better to go for a different family, that's all

Oct 28, 2019 at 9:52 AM Post #52 of 112
I would skip it. The N3 is better imo. Z5 beats both.

Oct 28, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #53 of 112
I would skip it. The N3 is better imo. Z5 beats both.

It really depends on what you are looking for.
The N3 and the Z5 have more bass and are hybrids, with a different treble presentation.
I liked them both, they are fun and really good.
The EX800 is really good too, in a different way. IMO it is more coherent and neutral, with a solid bassline but not really boosted.

I will keep my EX800, it's a really interesting IEM and for the price it's very good. I like to use it for classic and for video editing, where it's monitoring characteristics really help with judging the sound.

Cheers!

Oct 28, 2019 at 10:44 PM Post #54 of 112
It really depends on what you are looking for.
The N3 and the Z5 have more bass and are hybrids, with a different treble presentation.
I liked them both, they are fun and really good.
The EX800 is really good too, in a different way. IMO it is more coherent and neutral, with a solid bassline but not really boosted.

I will keep my EX800, it's a really interesting IEM and for the price it's very good. I like to use it for classic and for video editing, where it's monitoring characteristics really help with judging the sound.

Cheers!
Remember to burn them in

Oct 29, 2019 at 12:19 AM Post #55 of 112
I got mine recently slightly above 200 as few posts but no reply, it's on the way to my shore very soon.

I really need a studio monitoring IEM (I have owned ATH-50X) to listen non-bias sound recording.

Hope it will pair well with Sony's signature DAP for pure music. If no one can get me the feedback, I have to make my own decision. :D

Oct 29, 2019 at 8:03 PM Post #56 of 112
8E190AEC-BCAC-49D8-B955-9E58E3219877.jpeg
EX800ST cable mod - just cut the right length and solder a new 3.5MM jack. Get a Phillips SHE8000 tips from eBay and drive them with power - the only IEM I’m keeping and loving on top of my U12T

Oct 30, 2019 at 3:51 AM Post #57 of 112
EX800ST cable mod - just cut the right length and solder a new 3.5MM jack. Get a Phillips SHE8000 tips from eBay and drive them with power - the only IEM I’m keeping and loving on top of my U12T
Nice mod .

Talking about mod, is it worth to get EXK-MMCX adapter , I have few MMXX cables including Sony Kimber Kable with 4.4mm jack ?

Oct 30, 2019 at 7:31 AM Post #58 of 112
Nice mod .

Talking about mod, is it worth to get EXK-MMCX adapter , I have few MMXX cables including Sony Kimber Kable with 4.4mm jack ?
I tried 60$ 4.4 balanced OCC cable with them and returned it, IMO the stock cable is better. It seemed that cables don’t affect the sound on EX comparing to BA IEMs. I noticed that tips change the sound drastically and decided to further experiment, ordered JVC spiral dots and dots ++ on the way from Japan.

Oct 30, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #59 of 112
I tried 60$ 4.4 balanced OCC cable with them and returned it, IMO the stock cable is better. It seemed that cables don’t affect the sound on EX comparing to BA IEMs. I noticed that tips change the sound drastically and decided to further experiment, ordered JVC spiral dots and dots ++ on the way from Japan.

Would be nice if you could write your impression about them.

Oct 30, 2019 at 9:12 PM Post #60 of 112
What DAP are you using ? May be this IEM is easier to drive and need not balanced cable. JVC spiral dot is good and you may try Symbio Wide bore with foam for better noise isolation I think. If you feel dont comfortable you can remove the foam , depends on ear canals .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back