Sony EX800ST impressions
May 12, 2019 at 10:16 PM Post #17 of 111
you can get adapters for them and use MMCX or 2 pin but the adapters are $35-$50 bux.. rich

congrats! The 800s are awesome IEMs. Legendary even.

Where do I find the adapters at this price? If you could provide a source, thanks!

May 12, 2019 at 10:25 PM Post #18 of 111
@redrol , did you end up with a pair? They do have the right amount of bass, finally, but they don't have the detail and musicality that I remember the Kanas having. But hard to do real A/B from memory. Doing more comparisons today and tomorrow with the KZ ZS 10 and Beyer 1770.

With the KZ, I found that the silicone worked best, and tried the large, which enhanced the bass by making a better seal. Same with Sony. Wondering if I should try Kanas again with the larger silicone tips. Also curious about difference between pro and non pro.

May 13, 2019 at 8:25 AM Post #19 of 111
@redrol , did you end up with a pair? They do have the right amount of bass, finally, but they don't have the detail and musicality that I remember the Kanas having. But hard to do real A/B from memory. Doing more comparisons today and tomorrow with the KZ ZS 10 and Beyer 1770.

I think your memory serves you well. I had the KPE and the EX800ST in parallel for a few weeks before I sold the KPE.
The KPE is musical and has very good clarity and detail, in a smooth and floating way.
The EX800 sounds drier, it has a lot of detail but presents it differently. And from bass to lower mids the EX800 is IMO much more detailed.
They are really quite different. If you liked the KPE and want some more mid bass punch, better balance and timbre and smoother treble, check the JVC FD01 thread for the dicussions about the modded FD02.

Last edited:
May 13, 2019 at 8:57 AM Post #20 of 111
Thanks. I did the tape mod on the 800's and then played with the EQ some more to bring the mids and treble up a bit. Treble is really rolled off I'm...not I may just be used to the Beyer treble spike.

The KZ benefitted from the EQ tweaking as well (though it's a different EQ tweak). They don't sound the same, but overall clarity isn't too different, which is a big compliment to a $50 headphone. However, the Sony's are th first one that actually sound like a decent overear to me, though my 1770 still sounds far better. Is there a next step up, other than the ex1000. Would that be the JVC?

May 13, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #21 of 111
Thanks. I did the tape mod on the 800's and then played with the EQ some more to bring the mids and treble up a bit. Treble is really rolled off I'm...not I may just be used to the Beyer treble spike.

Personally I don't like the tape mod, the EX800 is already very warm and the tape mod really overpowers the mids and treble.
I also don't use EQ as it reduces the SQ I am getting from my Mojo.

All that said I find the EX800 very capable with the right music, play "Whisky and you" by Chris Stapleton, some acoustic guitar music, instrumental jazz.
But with vocals the flat tuning up to 1000Hz is unusual, and I also prefer a more Harman tuned response, elevating the vocals and underlying them with a full lower bass.
I'll PM you about the FD02, since this is the EX800ST discussion.

May 14, 2019 at 2:43 AM Post #22 of 111

With the KZ, I found that the silicone worked best, and tried the large, which enhanced the bass by making a better seal. Same with Sony. Wondering if I should try Kanas again with the larger silicone tips. Also curious about difference between pro and non pro.

Yep. I love them. I do the tape mode with a decent sized pin hole. The soundstage is absolutely massive. Mids are wonderful. I crank volume and they only get better. Total keepers.

May 14, 2019 at 8:14 AM Post #23 of 111
I agree on this one.... But still want a different cable

May 14, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #24 of 111
Using them at gym now. With music on, these have been the best isolation this far. Can't hear any gum noise, as with Kanas, dm6, and KZ, there was a lot of noise. Stoked on these.

May 14, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #25 of 111
May 16, 2019 at 2:33 AM Post #27 of 111
Jul 25, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #29 of 111
Hi all, just wondering, what's your fav tips for ex800st?

Jul 25, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #30 of 111
Spiral dot or Symbio peeled

Users who are viewing this thread

Back