Sony EX800ST impressions
Aug 21, 2019 at 2:28 AM Post #31 of 112
Hey all. Just picked these up after struggling to find a good iem to compliment my 1770 and R6. These are the first set that have good bass for my-- bass head bass that is still clear and isn't muddy. Great soundstage, too. Maybe it's the weird style, but these actually fit my ears better than all the Chi Find type iems. I really like them. Of course, it makes me wonder about the EX1000, but I couldn't find a pair as it's discontinued.

Best so far, but I do think maybe the KPE had a bit better clarity, but I prefer these overall based on fit and bass impact. I'm going to try the tape mod now and hook them up to the ES100 I ordered.

One drawback: hate the cable. Upgrades? Maybe a balanced one? These have that locking mechanism, so I assume they have to be Sont cables only.

Thanks

Josh
As said before, some people made adapter for these, pretty nice a dn can be had pretty affordable when you have retailers that stock em (I can have one here locally for 25-30$ from 2pin to MMCX)

Hi, how bad is the sound leakage on EX800? would it bother someone sitting next to you in a plane?
thanks, Jose
It doesn't really leak. It's still an IEM with small ish port on the side after all. At least as long as you don't listen to deafening volume that is.

Hi all, just wondering, what's your fav tips for ex800st?
I've tried a couple, the stock hybrid doesn't really work for me, I preferred the old Sony Hybrid with foam insert (came with my XBA A3), comply, and some RHA tips I own. I ended up putting a Spinfit on it tho, still deciding between it and spiral dots, but I had those onthe A3 so Spinfit it is

Impression: I'm too used to A3vs soundstage maybe, but the 800ST's doesnt have that big of a soundstage IMO, I think it's comparable to my IM04, bigeer than Shizuku, smaller than Adagio, what surprised me isn't that tho, it's how open it is, I sometimes feel like I'm not even wearing IEM with these, it's pretty ideal for when I want some awareness, listening indoors.
Otherwise fit is the same as my A3, tho the cable suck balls, it's thin, easy to tangle and long, 10-20cm longer than I want it to be.
I guess I'd buy some of those adapters.

Aug 21, 2019 at 2:36 AM Post #32 of 112
Funny how the OP said that it remind him most of his F1. The 800ST I feel closest to my MA900, which is the successor of the F1. Heh.

I really enjoy the open feel of the 800st... I really do, but there's some repair work done in my apartment R/N and there s a constant Drilling sound..off to my A3 I guess~

Aug 28, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #34 of 112
Can anyone confirm if there have been fake MDR-EX800ST? I see buyers of Japanese imports on amazon complaining of white packaging and a change in sound quality...
It has been a white box as far as i know

Aug 29, 2019 at 1:12 AM Post #35 of 112
Sep 18, 2019 at 11:09 PM Post #36 of 112
Yes, they come in a very simple white box.

@surfgeorge How do you find your AK t8ie comparing to EX800ST? I just got 800s to try, I use them with Symbio wide bore tips and I absolutely love the non fatiguing tuning and magic they produce in bass and mids with my R6Pro. Non of the earphones I owned produced anything like this and I’m looking to explore more DD options with better isolation to use on airplanes. Thanks!

Sep 19, 2019 at 1:10 AM Post #37 of 112
@surfgeorge How do you find your AK t8ie comparing to EX800ST? I just got 800s to try, I use them with Symbio wide bore tips and I absolutely love the non fatiguing tuning and magic they produce in bass and mids with my R6Pro. Non of the earphones I owned produced anything like this and I’m looking to explore more DD options with better isolation to use on airplanes. Thanks!
@AlexFL
My current set of IEMs are the EX800ST, the modded JVC FD02 and the T8ie MKII
The EX800 stands out as kind of flat and “faithful”, really the studio monitor kind of tuning.
The other thing that stands out is that the music sounds distant. It gets a lot of praise for soundstage, but to me it sounds more like the music is laid out in front of me than presented in an accurate soundstage. The third thing is that the treble can get a bit aggressive at high volume.

The T8ie IMO has much better clarity, resolution, dynamics and soundstage, it is smoother and more vivid.
The first impression is that a veil has been lifted, the music is closer, but the elements are much more accurately positioned in space, micro and macro details are very clear, and don’t get distorted or blurred even with the most complex music. At the same time it is smoother.
It’s a bit like going from a B&W photo with slightly flat contrast to a more vivid color photo with almost no grain, deeper blacks, smoother highlights (not burned out) and clearer details.

Reading this I have to put it a little bit in perspective, because it sounds so stark. I think the EX800 is really good at what it does and at the price point. I use it for my movie editing, and would not want to use my other IEMs. I also use it when I have to hear what’s going on around me (i.e. in the office) and I enjoy it. But the difference to the T8ie is really quite big. The driver of the T8ie seems to be extremely good and extremely fast, with low distortion. The tuning is very sensitive to the tips, especially because it is completely sealed, there’s no vent. Actually I don’t like that because you have to be very careful when inserting it to prevent driver flex and it’s so sensitive to seal and tips. With the original tips it has less bass then with the spinfits I use, and even with the Spinfits I have to pay attention to the seat. But it’s very comfortable.

At $550 used (what I paid) I think the T8ie is very good value, at a lower price point I would now recommend the Massdrop JVC FDX1. It is very similar to the FD02, but with 3 interchangeable nozzles with different filters.
Even without hearing it I think it is really good value at $250 and I have ordered it. I‘d say my modded JVC FD02 sits between the EX800 and the T8ie, closer go the 800, but it shares some characteristics of the T8, just not at the same level.
The FDX1 might be even a bit better, and it is a tank of an IEM, great for traveling.

Isolation might be slightly better with the T8, but I did not really hear much difference.

Cheers!

Sep 21, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #38 of 112
@AlexFL
My current set of IEMs are the EX800ST, the modded JVC FD02 and the T8ie MKII
The EX800 stands out as kind of flat and “faithful”, really the studio monitor kind of tuning.
The other thing that stands out is that the music sounds distant. It gets a lot of praise for soundstage, but to me it sounds more like the music is laid out in front of me than presented in an accurate soundstage. The third thing is that the treble can get a bit aggressive at high volume.

The T8ie IMO has much better clarity, resolution, dynamics and soundstage, it is smoother and more vivid.
The first impression is that a veil has been lifted, the music is closer, but the elements are much more accurately positioned in space, micro and macro details are very clear, and don’t get distorted or blurred even with the most complex music. At the same time it is smoother.
It’s a bit like going from a B&W photo with slightly flat contrast to a more vivid color photo with almost no grain, deeper blacks, smoother highlights (not burned out) and clearer details.

Reading this I have to put it a little bit in perspective, because it sounds so stark. I think the EX800 is really good at what it does and at the price point. I use it for my movie editing, and would not want to use my other IEMs. I also use it when I have to hear what’s going on around me (i.e. in the office) and I enjoy it. But the difference to the T8ie is really quite big. The driver of the T8ie seems to be extremely good and extremely fast, with low distortion. The tuning is very sensitive to the tips, especially because it is completely sealed, there’s no vent. Actually I don’t like that because you have to be very careful when inserting it to prevent driver flex and it’s so sensitive to seal and tips. With the original tips it has less bass then with the spinfits I use, and even with the Spinfits I have to pay attention to the seat. But it’s very comfortable.

At $550 used (what I paid) I think the T8ie is very good value, at a lower price point I would now recommend the Massdrop JVC FDX1. It is very similar to the FD02, but with 3 interchangeable nozzles with different filters.
Even without hearing it I think it is really good value at $250 and I have ordered it. I‘d say my modded JVC FD02 sits between the EX800 and the T8ie, closer go the 800, but it shares some characteristics of the T8, just not at the same level.
The FDX1 might be even a bit better, and it is a tank of an IEM, great for traveling.

Isolation might be slightly better with the T8, but I did not really hear much difference.

Cheers!
Thank you for detailed response. Do you find T8 brighter comparing to EX800? I’m a bit treble sensitive. And do you find mids sitting in the back on them. I specifically loved EX800 tuning, especially mids and bass presentation and overall coherent sound with dynamic driver. I wasn’t very impressed with details initially but notice that details improve with burn in, now they are at around 60 hours, not sure if they need more. I have ordered 4.4 Balanced cable to try with R6Pro as my hybrids change significantly on balanced vs SE.

Sep 21, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #39 of 112
I also found stock tips just terrible. In my case they sound the best with Symbio wide bores, I found that symbio’s silicon softness was right on the spot with tonality, softer tips get more sparkle and sub bass but symbios were just right. I did shorten the stem 1.5MM on them to bring the tube closer to ear and love what I heal.

Sep 22, 2019 at 7:03 AM Post #40 of 112
Thank you for detailed response. Do you find T8 brighter comparing to EX800? I’m a bit treble sensitive. And do you find mids sitting in the back on them. I specifically loved EX800 tuning, especially mids and bass presentation and overall coherent sound with dynamic driver. I wasn’t very impressed with details initially but notice that details improve with burn in, now they are at around 60 hours, not sure if they need more. I have ordered 4.4 Balanced cable to try with R6Pro as my hybrids change significantly on balanced vs SE.
I find the EX800 treble a bit brighter and harsher compared to the T8ie, the lower mids of the EX800 are a bit more forward, but the T8ie responds strongly to the tips, the Spinfits elevate bass, especially sub bass, the stock tips are more flat.

Sep 27, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #41 of 112
While I absolutely love the sound of the EX800ST, I can't for the life of me get them to stay inserted. They always feel like they barely stay sealed. Anyone else have similar issues? I've tried the three Sony tips that came with them, different double flange tips I have, as well as two different sized T-200 comply foams and none of them seem to keep them in place. I'm constantly feeling like I need to keep pushing them in. It's frustrating.

Sep 27, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #42 of 112
The only way I got good and stable seal was by using custom tips by the custom art. :gs1000smile: they are like perfect for the ex800st.

Sep 27, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #43 of 112
The only way I got good and stable seal was by using custom tips by the custom art. :gs1000smile: they are like perfect for the ex800st.

How was your experience dealing with them? How long did it take to receive them?

Sep 27, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #44 of 112
Very nice guys and more than easy transacting. I had two ciems and the custom tips made for me. If I remember correctly the tips needed 2 week until I had them in my hands.

Oct 17, 2019 at 2:38 AM Post #45 of 112
Yes, they come in a very simple white box.
Hi, just ordered one unit 800ST from Amazon via Japan Shop Ninja, is it trusted seller?

As many people said its package is in white box, because it's not for sale outside Japan?

Anyone know how good 800ST pairing with Sony DAP WM1A?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back