Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Jul 18, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #2,252 of 4,593
Hi joker! First of all, I would like to thank for such an amazing work. Very useful threads indeed!

But I have the following questions:

- Since my only references are the Meelectronics M6 and Xears TD100, which one of these are the best match in terms of sound signature (if they are a match at all) to the Creative Aurvana Live! (portable headphones)? Also, in terms of sound quality, how would you classify the TD100 in comparison with the Creatives (an estimative in %)?

- Are there any IEM's with the same/similar build quality and physical structure of the M6 (very low microphonics, over the ear design, 90º jack) with a sound signature close to td100 (or a little bit more neutral) also with the same/better sound quality?

- Is there any place where I can get some earguides for my td100 (cheap ones)?

Thank you in advance!

Jul 19, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #2,253 of 4,593

Quote:
- Since my only references are the Meelectronics M6 and Xears TD100, which one of these are the best match in terms of sound signature (if they are a match at all) to the Creative Aurvana Live! (portable headphones)? Also, in terms of sound quality, how would you classify the TD100 in comparison with the Creatives (an estimative in %)?

The TD-III is much closer to the CAL! in signature and in quality. I would say they are about equal or maybe give a slight edge to the CAL! in overall performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Suns /img/forum/go_quote.gif

- Are there any IEM's with the same/similar build quality and physical structure of the M6 (very low microphonics, over the ear design, 90º jack) with a sound signature close to td100 (or a little bit more neutral) also with the same/better sound quality?

Sennheiser IE6 or maybe Fischer Eterna if you're okay with more bass/less mids than TD-III.

Quote:
- Is there any place where I can get some earguides for my td100 (cheap ones)?

I actually just got some test gliders recently from MEElec. I usually don't like these - Phonak and V-Moda ones are frustrating to use and Soundmagic ones are big and ugly. The MEElec ones are okay, though. Not sure about price or availability but you can always contact them and ask.

Aug 5, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #2,254 of 4,593
This is absolutely an amazing review of all these headphones. I'm new to the headphone world and this will really help me out in choosing my first "pricey" set of headphones. I think I'm leaning towards the ath-m50s because I will be listening to them from my DAP. Thanks! This is will be like my reference point for headphones! =)

Aug 5, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #2,255 of 4,593

Quote:
This is absolutely an amazing review of all these headphones. I'm new to the headphone world and this will really help me out in choosing my first "pricey" set of headphones. I think I'm leaning towards the ath-m50s because I will be listening to them from my DAP. Thanks! This is will be like my reference point for headphones! =)

Glad the thread has been helpful! 

Aug 6, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #2,257 of 4,593
I'd have to say I pretty much agree with your Triport review - I've always thought that they were better than everyone seemed to think they are.

The cabe is atrocious though.  It broke at the plug after a few months and I've had to replace it a few times since then.  I've recently considered just recabling them for fun, now that I don't really use them anymore...

Aug 6, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #2,258 of 4,593
I'd say the build quality of the Bose Triport is even worse than you scored it. I have one. Both earpads ripped, causing the padding to constantly slip out on both cups, and the cord became ripped in like four different places. I was thinking of buying some new pads for it though, just for kicks.

Aug 6, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #2,259 of 4,593
It's great that joker added the HD428. I did a review way back about it and not many people payed attention. It's a great headphone and you can get used it on eBay for around $20.

Aug 7, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #2,260 of 4,593
Glad to see a fair review of Bose headphones. Sure they're severely overpriced, but you pay for that Bose name (for whatever reason) and more for the comfort and how portable they are. People seem to think they're absolute garbage, but they're really not. Sound more like a $60-$75 headphone and that's part of the problem.

I hate to admit it, but the Bose AE1 reviewed was an old favorite before I got into this hobby and had no clue about sound quality. This was back when buying headphones online was less common and I was still using a portable CD player! I tried it again recently expecting it to be horrible, but it really wasn't and sounded quite good! In no way does it sound like a $150 headphone, but luckily it's much cheaper now. I and others also find it a lot better than the newer AE2. It seems a lot more clear too. The AE1 actually has painful treble for my ears at times. The mids are a bit too relaxed at times, but not severely recessed or anything. It has a decent amount of bass but it's not even remotely bass heavy to me.

My preferences are really strange. I don't like the ZX700 and HD-668B and I like the Bose AE1? What the heck?!

BTW about Triport build quality. My first pair broke and I called Bose and they send me a replacement no questions asked. Well guess what? The replacement broke a few months later. I decided no more Bose for me! Funny that this is the only headphones that's ever broke on me. It seems anything with this design breaks easily.

Aug 7, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #2,261 of 4,593
It is nice that they're really not that bad.  If people want to get a nice pair of headphones and don't want to bother with research, they'd be fine with the Triports...on the other hand, if people want a nice pair of headphones and go for the Beats...that's a different story.

Aug 7, 2011 at 4:01 AM Post #2,262 of 4,593

Quote:
It's great that joker added the HD428. I did a review way back about it and not many people payed attention. It's a great headphone and you can get used it on eBay for around $20.

I paid about $30 for a refurbished pair and it's worth every penny. Crummy materials typical of Sennheiser's entry-level gear so I'd expect the pads to disintegrate over time (mine have already started to go) but otherwise very good headphones.

Quote:
Glad to see a fair review of Bose headphones. Sure they're severely overpriced, but you pay for that Bose name (for whatever reason) and more for the comfort and how portable they are. People seem to think they're absolute garbage, but they're really not. Sound more like a $60-$75 headphone and that's part of the problem.

That's pretty much the difference between Skullcandy, Earpollution, Urbanears and all of those other fashion brands and Bose, in my experience. The fashion garbage I've heard isn't worth buying at any price while the Bose set would be easily justifiable in a lower price bracket. They may not be tuned for accuracy but at least someone listens to them during development to make sure they will please a reasonably discerning consumer.

Aug 7, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #2,263 of 4,593
Joker do you have in plans a review for the Fostex TH-7B? Or the v-moda crossfade M-80?
Since you live in California you could get a free review sample from v-moda
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back