Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Jul 13, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #2,236 of 4,593

Quote:
I have long hair and my hair's never been caught in it.

My hair is Mil-spec and it gets razed.  The two times I've ever worn them.

Jul 14, 2011 at 9:08 AM Post #2,238 of 4,593
I love the PHX, I just wish Numark's OEM did better driver matching.  Both pairs I've had were very imbalanced in the L/R.  One right, one left.  If they did the sort of driver matching AKG does, they could charge double.  I do wonder how well the USB version's headphone amp is.  Numark's headphone jacks match the PHX nicely.  Not quite as much as as my parent's Pioneer receiver, but well.

Jul 14, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #2,240 of 4,593
Quote:
I love the PHX, I just wish Numark's OEM did better driver matching.  Both pairs I've had were very imbalanced in the L/R.  One right, one left.  If they did the sort of driver matching AKG does, they could charge double.  I do wonder how well the USB version's headphone amp is.  Numark's headphone jacks match the PHX nicely.  Not quite as much as as my parent's Pioneer receiver, but well.

The one I tested was balanced properly but I've read complaints of imbalance before. I'm sure severe channel imbalance is covered by warranty. 

For the asking price ($51 at B&H now!) they do sound fantastic (I did not get to test the USB cable).

Jul 15, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #2,241 of 4,593
Delete!

Jul 17, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #2,243 of 4,593
[size=10pt]That was actually the replacement direct from Numark under warranty.  The first was about double the channel imbalance to the opposite side and was sent back to them for that reason.  So they're zero for two in my book.  Their OEM appears to do no driver matching at all.  It's a shame, because the drivers are excellent.  A higher-end lower resonance version with good (no great) matching would be worth the price.  Whole average frequency matching, several frequency ranges averaged each, all plotted.  AKG does that sort of thing and stores the data in a database.  Manufacturers do that to allow varying grades of a particular model.  AKG 240DF, for instance.  Some company should find out exactly what drivers they are, the driver housing shape/size inside, and do one based on that.  [/size]

[size=10pt]Considering how many headphones have those screw-in connectors now, it'd be worth having the USB cable just for that.  I'm curious how the DAC & opamp in the cord fairs compared to their mixers.  Anyone know if it's ASIO or just normal?  Bit depth?[/size]

Jul 17, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #2,245 of 4,593

Quote:
Have you tried the PS 500's?

I have not.

Quote:
[size=10pt]That was actually the replacement direct from Numark under warranty.  The first was about double the channel imbalance to the opposite side and was sent back to them for that reason.  So they're zero for two in my book.  Their OEM appears to do no driver matching at all.  It's a shame, because the drivers are excellent.  A higher-end lower resonance version with good (no great) matching would be worth the price.  Whole average frequency matching, several frequency ranges averaged each, all plotted.  AKG does that sort of thing and stores the data in a database.  Manufacturers do that to allow varying grades of a particular model.  AKG 240DF, for instance.  Some company should find out exactly what drivers they are, the driver housing shape/size inside, and do one based on that.  [/size]

[size=10pt]Considering how many headphones have those screw-in connectors now, it'd be worth having the USB cable just for that.  I'm curious how the DAC & opamp in the cord fairs compared to their mixers.  Anyone know if it's ASIO or just normal?  Bit depth?[/size]

That's a shame about Numark. A very simple balance test wouldn't increase QC costs much. 

You should be able to at least get the specs for the DAC cable from them.

Quote:
Oh, and the Denons should have been in this round-up, along with the Fostex.

There's the excellent Denon HP700 in the lineup, as well as the Creative re-brand of the D1001k. Generally i try and spread out what I cover across different brands and price ranges, and of course my time is quite limited.

Jul 17, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #2,246 of 4,593
Oh, I'm trying to find review on the PS 500, can't seem to find any... 
frown.gif

Jul 17, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #2,247 of 4,593

Quote:
Oh, I'm trying to find review on the PS 500, can't seem to find any... 
frown.gif

Assuming you're talking about the Phiaton, here's what I've got...
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/523079/review-comparison-phiaton-showdown-ms-300-vs-ms-400-vs-ps-500

Jul 17, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #2,248 of 4,593

Quote:
Assuming you're talking about the Phiaton, here's what I've got...
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/523079/review-comparison-phiaton-showdown-ms-300-vs-ms-400-vs-ps-500

Thanks!

Jul 17, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #2,249 of 4,593
I thought you were saying the Creative was different sounding than the Denon 1001 and closer to the JVC, or have you never heard the Denon and were surprised the Creative sounded so much like the JVC?  So it's mostly agreed the Denon and Creative sound similar?

You've never heard the Fostex?  I'd be very interesting what you think of it compared to all these others.  Seems like a great price and very unique design.

Is it accurate to say the flattest, least-hyped (in terms of sound) studio-capable headphone in this round-up is the Sony mdrxz700?  Neutrality is what I'm interested in.

Jul 18, 2011 at 2:54 AM Post #2,250 of 4,593

Quote:
I thought you were saying the Creative was different sounding than the Denon 1001 and closer to the JVC, or have you never heard the Denon and were surprised the Creative sounded so much like the JVC?  So it's mostly agreed the Denon and Creative sound similar?

You've never heard the Fostex?  I'd be very interesting what you think of it compared to all these others.  Seems like a great price and very unique design.

Is it accurate to say the flattest, least-hyped (in terms of sound) studio-capable headphone in this round-up is the Sony mdrxz700?  Neutrality is what I'm interested in.

I heard the Creatives and Denons side by side and thought they were remarkably similar and there was no point in reviewing both. Picked up something else that day. I am not familiar with anything Fostex. 

Not sure of the ZX700 is very studio-friendly and its sound adds a bit of warmth and is more forgiving than I'd want in a studio can. It is very smooth. I though the Denon HP700 did a remarkable job of staying true to the recording, bit of extra sparkle aside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back