Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
May 28, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #2,056 of 4,593

Quote:

Yep. They are good cans. Well-built, comfortable, noise-isolating. Sound quality is the weakest link but they aren't terrible - maybe a 6/10 on my scale. Here in the US they are <$40 though.

Yeah just saw that on amazon.com they sell for 36 usd! And i thought 50 gbp where a deal. A bit weird that philips is a Netherlands company (no import taxes) and are more expensive in Europe.
thx for the info though, they look like a decent and portable pair of cans.

May 30, 2011 at 7:04 AM Post #2,059 of 4,593
Hi ljokerl, nice review, a huge amount of headphones did you test!!! great work !!!

I have the Superlux HD 668B and i'm completlely agree with your impressions and i have to say like Negakinu "They need a warm source, like you said, and A LOT of burn-in." Superluxes are a bargain by the price.

About the Prodipe Pro 800 i have to say that it's a rebranded from this chinese headphones: Takstar ST650.

Original takstar 650 (cheaper than prodipe's)
http://takstar-shop.com/viewitem.php?groupid=1&productid=166

Prodipe Pro 800
http://www.prodipe.com/es/productos/auriculares/item/44-pro-800

Regards and keep goig with this amazing post!!.

May 30, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #2,061 of 4,593
Very interesting, thanks. I guess that explains where Cortex and Prodipe got the same basic headphone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remior /img/forum/go_quote.gif

About the Prodipe Pro 800 i have to say that it's a rebranded from this chinese headphones: Takstar ST650.

Original takstar 650 (cheaper than prodipe's)
http://takstar-shop.com/viewitem.php?groupid=1&productid=166

Prodipe Pro 800
http://www.prodipe.com/es/productos/auriculares/item/44-pro-800

Regards and keep goig with this amazing post!!.

May 31, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #2,063 of 4,593
Reviews are but words sadly,

Bought the B&W p5 for its 'comfort' value. My ears hurt after 30mins of use each time. Did a forceful 2 hour listening and now my ears are bruised bad. No headphones on them for a day or to for recovery. This is after 1 month of 'break in' on the p5. O well. I still love them. Wonder if i could... stretch and bend the steel.

Anyways!! I believe great power comes great responsibility. This thread of yours holds so much 'swaying power' that anything not mentioned are slightly left behind. As such!! I'd like to vouch that the Aiaiai Tracks (not tma-1) deserve a shot at competing with the ultra portables, as should the AKG 420 and Jays C-jays. They'll rock px100's boat...

May 31, 2011 at 10:31 AM Post #2,064 of 4,593

Bought the B&W p5 for its 'comfort' value. My ears hurt after 30mins of use each time. Did a forceful 2 hour listening and now my ears are bruised bad. No headphones on them for a day or to for recovery. This is after 1 month of 'break in' on the p5. O well. I still love them. Wonder if i could... stretch and bend the steel.

Anyways!! I believe great power comes great responsibility. This thread of yours holds so much 'swaying power' that anything not mentioned are slightly left behind. As such!! I'd like to vouch that the Aiaiai Tracks (not tma-1) deserve a shot at competing with the ultra portables, as should the AKG 420 and Jays C-jays. They'll rock px100's boat...

Where exactly does it hurt on your ear?

May 31, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #2,065 of 4,593
I'm trying to pick the right Portable Headset that's right for me in terms of excellence of all ranges of the frequency and more heavily and clear on bass. Then there is the wideness and depth of soundstage.The Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO, the Audio Technica ATH M50 or the Ultrasone HFI 580?

May 31, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #2,066 of 4,593

Quote:
Quote:

Where exactly does it hurt on your ear?

The surface of my earlobes, at no specific area, just the clamping causes discomfort after 30mins. Owh well..   I hear women complain bout extremely painful yet awesome high heels...   and still wear them proudly

Jun 1, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #2,067 of 4,593

Quote:
I'm trying to pick the right Portable Headset that's right for me in terms of excellence of all ranges of the frequency and more heavily and clear on bass. Then there is the wideness and depth of soundstage.The Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO, the Audio Technica ATH M50 or the Ultrasone HFI 580?

Having only heard the M50, I can say it matches your requirements but I'm not sure how it compares to the others. 

Quote:
The surface of my earlobes, at no specific area, just the clamping causes discomfort after 30mins. Owh well..   I hear women complain bout extremely painful yet awesome high heels...   and still wear them proudly

The P5 is one of the less offensive supraaurals for my head size but the headband is difficult to stretch. You may just have to stick to some of the really loose ones such as the Ultrasone HFI-15G.

Jun 1, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #2,068 of 4,593
I'm a big fan of the DT770, it has recessed mids and has a few peaks here and there but for some reason my brain just likes them. They have tons of bass, but it's not in-your-face bass like teh M50 is. Instead of midbass bloat (which is what a lot of "bass monsters" do) the DT770 hits deep and hits fast. It's pretty well known as a drummer's headphone, and for good reason. It also has pretty good soundstage for a closed headphone, is quite comfortable, and is relatively detailed for the price you can get em at (~$100-110 used). The only problem is that it's not really portable - it's huge and doesn't fold, and has a long cable to boot. I still prefer it over the M50, although truth be told the comparison was pretty close. I haven't heard the HFI580, although I would like to.

Jun 1, 2011 at 9:19 AM Post #2,069 of 4,593

Quote:

Having only heard the M50, I can say it matches your requirements but I'm not sure how it compares to the others. 

The P5 is one of the less offensive supraaurals for my head size but the headband is difficult to stretch. You may just have to stick to some of the really loose ones such as the Ultrasone HFI-15G.

Sure! no problemo!, just sleep on the 500AUD p5, and get a new ultrasone!! easy!! lol...  easier said then done!!! but I would love to!! though I really do love the p5, they're like a hot yet really bitchy girlfriend T_T

My next purchase WILL BE an ultrasone RAWR!!!, but thats a long long time from now...    i'll live for now with the p5 and Aiaiai tracks for portable use.

Jun 1, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #2,070 of 4,593

Sure! no problemo!, just sleep on the 500AUD p5, and get a new ultrasone!! easy!! lol...  easier said then done!!! but I would love to!! though I really do love the p5, they're like a hot yet really bitchy girlfriend T_T

My next purchase WILL BE an ultrasone RAWR!!!, but thats a long long time from now...    i'll live for now with the p5 and Aiaiai tracks for portable use.

500 is rough but knowing that electromics/cars are very expensive in Australia not exactly earth shattering. I wonder if sticking a couple of books together to get the headband stretching out would work for the discomfort?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back