Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Jun 7, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #2,086 of 4,593
Super behind in the times, but I found this thread upon seeing Jude's link to it in his basic headphone recommendations.  Fantastic.  I have a lot of friends who are looking for a good pair of headphones, but don't want to spend a lot of money, and this will be super helpful.  Many thanks.

Jun 7, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #2,087 of 4,593

Quote:
Super behind in the times, but I found this thread upon seeing Jude's link to it in his basic headphone recommendations.  Fantastic.  I have a lot of friends who are looking for a good pair of headphones, but don't want to spend a lot of money, and this will be super helpful.  Many thanks.

Thanks, glad the thread is useful!

Jun 8, 2011 at 8:59 AM Post #2,089 of 4,593
Hi,

Loved reading your review comparing all the headphones.

I just bought a AKG K-44. I think it beats the lower end sennhesier HD 201, 202 for sound. Have you heard that model? How would you rate them for sound?

Cheers

Steve.

Jun 8, 2011 at 10:52 AM Post #2,090 of 4,593

Quote:
(Was going to request adding the Shure SRH440 to your list, but I see that's already been done. Thanks!)

Yes, it's definitely been requested but it's still not on the menu (yet).

Quote:
Hi,

Loved reading your review comparing all the headphones.

I just bought a AKG K-44. I think it beats the lower end sennhesier HD 201, 202 for sound. Have you heard that model? How would you rate them for sound?

Cheers

Steve.

Never heard the K44 or HD201. I've heard the HD202 and it was decent but not great. 

Jun 9, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #2,091 of 4,593
Your thread is TOO useful joker...instead of making it clearer what I should pick im more confused and have more factors to consider than ever! 
bigsmile_face.gif
  Great job though. 

Do you guys take requests for suggestions here?  I've read through so many of these reviews and still cant pick.

I will be using headphones with my tablet or iphone.  (Need to be easy to drive) Mic would be nice but not necessary.  Looking for good sound (i listen to rock and pop, like michelle branch, P!nk, 80's music, glee, yellowcard etc) , good portability (I will mostly use these when I travel home, at the airport, in the car I dont want to look like a douche with giant head phones on). I think since these will be areas with people i need either a closed set or a low leakage set.  Trying to spend under 150 (as the only time i'd ever use these would be for travel since i have a nice set of speakers at home).  If any further clarification as to my needs would help I'll be happy to give more.  Thanks in advance!

Jun 9, 2011 at 10:52 AM Post #2,092 of 4,593

Quote:
Your thread is TOO useful joker...instead of making it clearer what I should pick im more confused and have more factors to consider than ever! 
bigsmile_face.gif
  Great job though. 

Do you guys take requests for suggestions here?  I've read through so many of these reviews and still cant pick.

I will be using headphones with my tablet or iphone.  (Need to be easy to drive) Mic would be nice but not necessary.  Looking for good sound (i listen to rock and pop, like michelle branch, P!nk, 80's music, glee, yellowcard etc) , good portability (I will mostly use these when I travel home, at the airport, in the car I dont want to look like a douche with giant head phones on). I think since these will be areas with people i need either a closed set or a low leakage set.  Trying to spend under 150 (as the only time i'd ever use these would be for travel since i have a nice set of speakers at home).  If any further clarification as to my needs would help I'll be happy to give more.  Thanks in advance!

iPhone controls are pretty limiting in portable headphones. In the $150 range from everything I've tried that means Klipsch Image One and AKG Q460. Unfortunately I don't find the Klipsch to be a big enough upgrade from the underperforming Monster Beats Solo and V-Moda Crossfade (which also have iPhone controls) and wouldn't recommend them for more than $80-90. The Q460 is actually quite good but it's vented and doesn't isolate as much (though it doesn't leak a lot, similarly to the cheaper K430). It is very portable and has an easy-going - if not immediately impressive - sound. If you can live without the mic, the Phiaton MS300 is another good compact set in that price range. Not sure which I like better between that and the AKG.

Jun 9, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #2,094 of 4,593
Looking around I found the akg460 for 130, phiaton ms300 for about 120 and with a coupon the sennheiser hd25-ii for 170.  I know the sennheisers are quite highly regarded and amongst these 3 if sound quality and portability (ease of driving, wearable in public, tough) are most important is it worth springing the extra for the senns?

Jun 9, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #2,095 of 4,593

Quote:
Looking around I found the akg460 for 130, phiaton ms300 for about 120 and with a coupon the sennheiser hd25-ii for 170.  I know the sennheisers are quite highly regarded and amongst these 3 if sound quality and portability (ease of driving, wearable in public, tough) are most important is it worth springing the extra for the senns?

The Sennheisers are quite unsightly and don't fold. They also fit a little bit tighter than the MS300/Q460. Other than that they are a solid portable set. Just don't expect them to be as stylish as the other two.

Jun 12, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #2,097 of 4,593
Quote:
btw i found out the new ms 400s have less bass

Where did you find this out? I have both iterations (the red and the black), and after using the reds for some time, I didn't notice any appreciable difference in bass quantity when I started using my blacks. You consider your black ones bass-light?

Jun 13, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #2,098 of 4,593
It's because the headroom graphs have changed, and this has been enough to convince people that it's bass light now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back