Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Jun 1, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #2,071 of 4,593

Quote:
Quote:

Sure! no problemo!, just sleep on the 500AUD p5, and get a new ultrasone!! easy!! lol...  easier said then done!!! but I would love to!! though I really do love the p5, they're like a hot yet really bitchy girlfriend T_T

My next purchase WILL BE an ultrasone RAWR!!!, but thats a long long time from now...    i'll live for now with the p5 and Aiaiai tracks for portable use.

500 is rough but knowing that electromics/cars are very expensive in Australia not exactly earth shattering. I wonder if sticking a couple of books together to get the headband stretching out would work for the discomfort?

That's what I would do. Chances are high you can bend them, or mod them in a way to make them less miserable. I wouldn't live with an uncomfortable headphone, and I'm a grado fan!

Jun 1, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #2,072 of 4,593

Quote:
That's what I would do. Chances are high you can bend them, or mod them in a way to make them less miserable. I wouldn't live with an uncomfortable headphone, and I'm a grado fan!

That's exactly why I'll never buy a Grado.  It's also why my Fostex T30 has only been taken out for meets until I got a pair of XB700 pads last month.  They're all I listen to at my main home rig now.

Jun 1, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #2,073 of 4,593

Quote:
That's exactly why I'll never buy a Grado.  It's also why my Fostex T30 has only been taken out for meets until I got a pair of XB700 pads last month.  They're all I listen to at my main home rig now.

I find my grado's completely comfortable with the bowls. But, I know a lot of people don't. They just fit my ears perfectly. 

Jun 1, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #2,075 of 4,593
Thanks ljokerl and Aflac for the suggestions. I now know what to narrow down for my purchase.
beyersmile.png

Jun 1, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #2,076 of 4,593

Quote:

Yep, thats why my SR80 was sold...  pain pain!!!! lol..  i've got very forward angled ears sadly..   good supraaurals tend to comply however, which is why I normally only use supraaurals. Like the AKG420 and AIAIAI tracks. my god..  hours.. easily...

Jun 1, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #2,077 of 4,593
I've tried one pair of Grados that were comfortable at the first meet I went to.  The pads were incredibly worn and about ready to fall apart.  Grados just need different pads to make them comfortable.

I have no problems with other supra aurals.  One of my favorite headphones is the PX-100.  It's extremely comfortable too.  It doesn't clamp hard, but the Portapro clamps hard, or at least harder, and I find it comfortable too.

The T30 clamps hard and has parallel cups with no swivel at all. The stock pads are also essentially unstuffed leather.  It would be uncomfortable even if it was circumaural.  XB700 pads fix that.

Jun 2, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #2,078 of 4,593

Quote:
I've tried one pair of Grados that were comfortable at the first meet I went to.  The pads were incredibly worn and about ready to fall apart.  Grados just need different pads to make them comfortable.

Maybe I can mention that since I live near Brooklyn.
wink_face.gif

Jun 4, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #2,079 of 4,593

Quote:
@anaxilus
shoot! oh well here in australia it was $180...hmm might check ebay later

@ocswing
yeah dont have amazon in aussie sadly..yeah anyway, i need to search for more stores,, and ebay aswell

thx a lot. sorted

Yeah they don't, but you should be able to find an Amazon seller that ships internationally, and sometimes depending on the brand Amazon ships to Australia 

Jun 4, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #2,080 of 4,593

Quote:
Hi ljokerl, nice review, a huge amount of headphones did you test!!! great work !!!

I have the Superlux HD 668B and i'm completlely agree with your impressions and i have to say like Negakinu "They need a warm source, like you said, and A LOT of burn-in." Superluxes are a bargain by the price.

About the Prodipe Pro 800 i have to say that it's a rebranded from this chinese headphones: Takstar ST650.

Original takstar 650 (cheaper than prodipe's)
http://takstar-shop.com/viewitem.php?groupid=1&productid=166

Prodipe Pro 800
http://www.prodipe.com/es/productos/auriculares/item/44-pro-800

Regards and keep goig with this amazing post!!.

Lol really? So they both have the same sound quality? I might pick up a pair if anyone else can verify.

- xDEFiNE

Jun 5, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #2,081 of 4,593
If I never really liked the old V6, do you think I will enjoy the sony zx700?  

I am likely going to rebuy the phiaton ms400 if i cant find anything that small and light but still circumaurial.  I am getting a bit annoyed by the larger sets in the 250g+ weight class that I use to sit outside with.  I enjoyed my old ms400 but that lack of a soundstage REALLY upset me to the point of selling it off.  Gah...its near impossible to find something small, lightweight, known for large sound stage, and has a short portable cord that isnt named The Edition 8 lol :[

Jun 5, 2011 at 12:31 PM Post #2,082 of 4,593

Quote:

I am likely going to rebuy the phiaton ms400 if i cant find anything that small and light but still circumaurial.  I am getting a bit annoyed by the larger sets in the 250g+ weight class that I use to sit outside with.  I enjoyed my old ms400 but that lack of a soundstage REALLY upset me to the point of selling it off.  Gah...its near impossible to find something small, lightweight, known for large sound stage, and has a short portable cord that isnt named The Edition 8 lol :[

The V6 and ZX700 don't really sound much alike aside from being on the dryer side of things in terms of texture/detail. Its sound is certainly more 'nondescript' than that of the V6 so if you had a problem with the upper midrange recession or treble of the V6, that shouldn't be a problem with the ZX700. Beware, however, that the ZX700 is probably 3x larger than the MS400, though it's not as heavy as it looks.

Jun 5, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #2,083 of 4,593

Quote:

The ZX700 is 260g so it is not small or lightweight. It does have a short cord and distributes it's weight well but it is not a true portable size-wise.

Jun 5, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #2,084 of 4,593
Yea, I know its not light, I am familiar with its specs.  Thats why I said i was annoyed by the 250gram + crowd.  Right now the zx700 is only $80 on amazon and it seems like its a good set to just lounge around outside with, and of course ( knowing me ) I am concerned with the soundstaging :)

If the stage is better than the ms400 ( wider, taller, deeper, better separation ) I'll get it.  

Jun 6, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #2,085 of 4,593
Added Fischer FA-004 and Koss UR55

Quote:
Yea, I know its not light, I am familiar with its specs.  Thats why I said i was annoyed by the 250gram + crowd.  Right now the zx700 is only $80 on amazon and it seems like its a good set to just lounge around outside with, and of course ( knowing me ) I am concerned with the soundstaging :)

If the stage is better than the ms400 ( wider, taller, deeper, better separation ) I'll get it.  

The ZX700 does have a more spacious stage than the MS400 but it's not a large improvement. Even the Bose Triport has a more spacious stage than the MS400. Too bad it's amoeba-like in shape and manages to screw up every positioning cue...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back