Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 27, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #17,596 of 149,760
  Cthulu is in the building: http://schiit.com/products/floor-wart

Not nearly Lovecraftian enough.  Where are the non-Euclidean angles?  Or are they hidden on the inside?  To protect us?

OTOH, I could not find any Norse mythology creature with tentacles, either.  Only thing that comes up is the Kraken and wikipedia says the original myths mention no tentacles.

I offer the idea of a wall wart recycling program.

Feb 27, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #17,597 of 149,760
Clearly this is a rabbit hole. Every one has an Opinion. I would say the RP3 is a Good place. I started with the RP1 but modded it to the point of it basically being an RP3. Those SL1200's are built like Tanks, Well the Old ones, I do not know about the new ones, I have only read about them. The difference with ones like the Rega, VPI and Music halls Verses the SL1200's is the SL1200's are direct drive and sometimes the sound made by the mechanism can make its way through the chain. For it's Intended purpose It's a screwin awesome table and there are some people that use them for 2 channel rigs at home because they are probably one of the quietest Direct drives but in general belt driven is where a lot of the Hi Fi companies go because the motor is uncoupled from the platter which translates in to less noise or rumble. Pick your poison but there are a lot of very good mid priced tables and cart selection is another matter. If anything the TT makes me appreciate what Multibit does to make digital have that analog finesse that is missing from so many other DACS.

So anyone who has zero vinyl now, should just get a Schiit multibit dac. My gumby is better than a $1,500 table with a $250 cartridge. Don't forget the phono preamp too. So Gumby is better than a $2k setup.

For someone who has a bunch of old vinyl, it can sound really good. The Rega tables are good no fun fun ways to make music in the british style. That is PRAT and not that much detail. Rp3 is a minimum, but rp6 end up being end game for many. The ortofon cartidges seem to be more detail focused.

Feb 27, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #17,599 of 149,760
Alright turntable talk has me wanting to ask a question. I am looking for my first turntable. One HUGE feature I want is the ability to change speeds without it taking more than a few seconds. I've started buying albums, and a few are 33rpm and 45rpm. All 12", but depending on the quality of the album, speeds differ. Looking for something that is $300-500, can be upgraded with a new cart fairly easily. Not concerned with a preamp as I'll be using my MicroZOTL2 for that to start, with a Schiit product eventually if needed. Any help is greatly appreciated. Moving a belt is not ideal at all, rather it be a switch. Thank you!

Feb 27, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #17,600 of 149,760
most of the entry ones where mentioned  Rega PL1 (replaced the RP1), Music Hall MMF 2.3,  Project Debut series and the Orbit Turntables are good places to start.. I do agree with Brubacca MB with good mastered albums makes it a difficult choice. I decided to have my cake and eat it too but if you are like many and most or all of your music is digital ,MB Dacs are not to be discounted. Mimby makes cost of entry in reach of most while you navigate the world of spinning plastic disks. Don't be mistaken though if Mr Moffat decides to release Mani Uber/Mani 2 or some other variant I will be in line.

Feb 27, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #17,601 of 149,760

Clearly this is a rabbit hole. Every one has an Opinion. I would say the RP3 is a Good place. I started with the RP1 but modded it to the point of it basically being an RP3. Those SL1200's are built like Tanks, Well the Old ones, I do not know about the new ones, I have only read about them. The difference with ones like the Rega, VPI and Music halls Verses the SL1200's is the SL1200's are direct drive and sometimes the sound made by the mechanism can make its way through the chain. For it's Intended purpose It's a screwin awesome table and there are some people that use them for 2 channel rigs at home because they are probably one of the quietest Direct drives but in general belt driven is where a lot of the Hi Fi companies go because the motor is uncoupled from the platter which translates in to less noise or rumble. Pick your poison but there are a lot of very good mid priced tables and cart selection is another matter. If anything the TT makes me appreciate what Multibit does to make digital have that analog finesse that is missing from so many other DACS.

So anyone who has zero vinyl now, should just get a Schiit multibit dac. My gumby is better than a $1,500 table with a $250 cartridge. Don't forget the phono preamp too. So Gumby is better than a $2k setup.

For someone who has a bunch of old vinyl, it can sound really good. The Rega tables are good no fun fun ways to make music in the british style. That is PRAT and not that much detail. Rp3 is a minimum, but rp6 end up being end game for many. The ortofon cartidges seem to be more detail focused.

Yggy hitting the market I feel has changed the digital landscape in a wonderful and affordable way. And to give us Gumby is icing on the cake of foot tapping engaging mutibit analog sounding sound. I will hazard an opinion based on my experience and say that to get a phono cartridge to resolve even close to what Yggy does or even Gumby will cost you at least what Yggy costs. Then u still need a turntable etc. etc. etc.
blink.gif

That's not to say $2K won't buy you a good sounding rig that will make you smile, it will. To get to Gumby level of resolution is rabbit hole territory for sure let alone Yggy. Tweak this tweak that, get the VTA right, can you even easily adjust for VTA? Etc, etc. BTW there's over 2 hours of video in 5 segments of the Rega factory over on Analog Planet, everything from winding coils to R&D, might be worth a look.

Feb 27, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #17,602 of 149,760
Also If you are into any music made in the past decade most are probably coming from digital masters so it is kind of pointless,  that's another factor to consider. Although I have read somewhere a while back that some studios may be investing in analog again but I have no idea who are when of if it even happened.  It is entertaining to watch people very excited about a modern pop album playing on a crosley turn table via bluetooth speakers. Then It becomes a Sad realization of the driving force  behind the vinyl resurgence and I walk out of the store.

Feb 27, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #17,603 of 149,760
Alright turntable talk has me wanting to ask a question. I am looking for my first turntable. One HUGE feature I want is the ability to change speeds without it taking more than a few seconds. I've started buying albums, and a few are 33rpm and 45rpm. All 12", but depending on the quality of the album, speeds differ. Looking for something that is $300-500, can be upgraded with a new cart fairly easily. Not concerned with a preamp as I'll be using my MicroZOTL2 for that to start, with a Schiit product eventually if needed. Any help is greatly appreciated. Moving a belt is not ideal at all, rather it be a switch. Thank you!

Unless I simply missed it, they didn't mention a phono stage in their description on their web site. The MicroZOTL2 does not have a phono stage. It appears both inputs on the MicroZOTL2 are line level. You will still need a phono pre.

Feb 27, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #17,606 of 149,760
Where's the Schiit LPS???

In literally every product we make, with the exception of Fulla 2.

I'm sorry, but you'll have to de-program yourself from "meaningless buzzwords/ways to get more money out of you" that the other guys use. 

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Feb 27, 2017 at 10:54 PM Post #17,607 of 149,760
Jason Stoddard: dude you need to hang around other forums. Have you seen those chains of USB cleaners? PC > Wyrd > Regen > Intona > W4S Recovery > Jitterbug > DAC? The entire chain is worthless unless EACH ONE is powered by its own linear power supply!

Feb 27, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #17,608 of 149,760
@Jason Stoddard: dude you need to hang around other forums. Have you seen those chains of USB cleaners? PC > Wyrd > Regen > Intona > W4S Recovery > Jitterbug > DAC? The entire chain is worthless unless EACH ONE is powered by its own linear power supply!

Which is 100% idiotic. Sorry, I don't do audio nervosa.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Feb 27, 2017 at 10:57 PM Post #17,609 of 149,760

Users who are viewing this thread

Back