Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 25, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #17,566 of 149,744

Yep, I got that! Does that mean it is best to hook my Yggdrasil to a preamp (Freya) using the XLR? Or is the balancing stuff you were talking about only matter inside the DAC?

Use balanced if you have it; if you don't, it is a negligible downgrade to SE, unless you absolutely need the 6db gain.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Feb 26, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #17,568 of 149,744
Tomorrow, my 3rd piece of Schiit, the celebrated Mani will be here. Will report back. 

I'm still disappointed it won't unwrap the MQA origami of the original pressing of Mr. Fantasy I just scored. 
gs1000.gif
evil_smiley.gif
L3000.gif

Feb 26, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #17,569 of 149,744
Tomorrow, my 3rd piece of Schiit, the celebrated Mani will be here. Will report back. 

I'm still disappointed it won't unwrap the MQA origami of the original pressing of Mr. Fantasy I just scored. :gs1000smile: :evil: :L3000:  

You will love the Mani. I have had it for a while, but I recently upgraded my turntable to a Rega RP-1 and the Mani makes it sing.

My next piece of Schiit is due to arrive Saturday. Ragnarock! I just bought my friend's Gumby so I'm looking forward to upgrading my Schiit stack. Currently I have Bimby with Valhalla 2. Will be listing both this week along with SYS and LISST.

Feb 26, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #17,570 of 149,744
You will love the Mani. I have had it for a while, but I recently upgraded my turntable to a Rega RP-1 and the Mani makes it sing.

My next piece of Schiit is due to arrive Saturday. Ragnarock! I just bought my friend's Gumby so I'm looking forward to upgrading my Schiit stack. Currently I have Bimby with Valhalla 2. Will be listing both this week along with SYS and LISST.

An upgraded Schiit stack is of the highest priority!

I am going to hook up my Mani to Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC, with Kimber Silver Streak cables. 
Expecting good things!

Feb 26, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #17,571 of 149,744

I use a Mani With a Rega RP1 Brings a Smile to My face Everytime I Spin it up.  Still Debating which cart to settle on.

Feb 26, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #17,572 of 149,744
Hi Jason, not sure if you've decided what to write about for your next chapter but may I suggest a future one on electrostatic headphones and amps?

Looking at your lineups of amps, that really is the only thing missing. And considering that some of the most expensive headphones and amps out there are electrostatics, I won't be surprised if you already have a few prototypes lying around in your workspace.

Feb 26, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #17,573 of 149,744
  I use a Mani With a Rega RP1 Brings a Smile to My face Everytime I Spin it up.  Still Debating which cart to settle on.

You guys are really tempting me to revive the vinyl classics I've had in (careful) storage for decades since I went to the (dark) digital side. To set the bar, check my sig below for my current digital 2-channel system. I could easily get a Mani and connect it to my Hegel integrated amp, but in the long decades since I last played vinyl, I have no idea about which turntables and cartridges would make me as happy as my Yggy. I have a nice open place for that turntable next to the Yggy in my living room 
wink_face.gif

Feb 26, 2017 at 10:11 PM Post #17,574 of 149,744
Thank for all of your recommendations. I may just pick up a LISST for schiits and grins, since it's only $50. It's good to know I can use a single ended DAC in the chain and still get benefits from the balanced outputs of the Jotunheim. I will likely go that route eventually.

Feb 26, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #17,575 of 149,744
  You guys are really tempting me to revive the vinyl classics I've had in (careful) storage for decades since I went to the (dark) digital side. To set the bar, check my sig below for my current digital 2-channel system. I could easily get a Mani and connect it to my Hegel integrated amp, but in the long decades since I last played vinyl, I have no idea about which turntables and cartridges would make me as happy as my Yggy. I have a nice open place for that turntable next to the Yggy in my living room 
wink_face.gif

To save your self a ton of money and headache, the new Rega Planar 3 is basically impossible to beat. Start with the stock Elys cart
then move on from there if you really get the upgrade bug.

Feb 26, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #17,576 of 149,744
  To save your self a ton of money and headache, the new Rega Planar 3 is basically impossible to beat. Start with the stock Elys cart
then move on from there if you really get the upgrade bug.

Nice entry level table, but not even close to matching the Yggy.

At least start with the new Technics SL-1200GR, which also has a removable headshell for easier cartridge updgrades.

Feb 27, 2017 at 12:25 AM Post #17,578 of 149,744
Feb 27, 2017 at 8:07 AM Post #17,579 of 149,744
I use a Mani with a U-turn Orbit Plus.  In addition to to a turntable weight, I upgraded to a Ortofon 2M Red (previously used a Grado Black), made all the difference in the world with my Mani.
The U-turn is made a few miles down the road from me in Woburn, MA, and I've had nothing but good experiences in dealing with them.  The only thing I dislike is the belt is a little bit of a bear to get onto the platter if you have the cue lever installed.

Feb 27, 2017 at 8:52 AM Post #17,580 of 149,744
Question for anybody with both a Schiit Gungnir and Ragnarock.  How do you guys stack your Schiit?  Obviously the Rag is larger than the Gumby but the amp should be on top for cooling purposes.  I just need some ideas.  I was thinking of some type of shelf, but don't really want to put yet another shelf on my shelf....

Thanks in advance!

John 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back