Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 25, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #17,553 of 152,050
  Also, if I went with the Jotunheim, do you think it would be worth getting the balanced D/S DAC with the Jotunheim and terminating my headphone in XLR? or should I just connect the excellent Mimby to the Jot and stick with single ended?

I'm not sure if you're implying that you cannot use the balanced XLR outs to your headphones with the Mimby but if you are that is incorrect - you could run your Modi MB into the Jotunheim via your single ended PYST you already own and then terminate your headphones' cable to XLR and use the balanced no problem. Anything before the amplifier enters the chain is irrelevant when it comes to the way you use the headphone outs.

Feb 25, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #17,554 of 152,050
Originally Posted by fargus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Can anyone recommend what route I should go? I could buy a LISST for the Vali, or save up my pennies for an Asgard or Jot. Also, if I went with the Jotunheim, do you think it would be worth getting the balanced D/S DAC with the Jotunheim and terminating my headphone in XLR? or should I just connect the excellent Mimby to the Jot and stick with single ended?

​There certainly are many routes. Is it worth experimenting with LISST when there's Magni 2 uber? Jotty is a fine piece of kit. If you don't want the hobby of rolling tubes Jotty comes close to Mjolnir 2, less money and no tubes. If you branch out into speakers it's a fine preamp (no remote) and if you like it you have the option of two Vidars and the headroom that brings. Want a turntable? Just add the phono stage.

If you eventually go all balanced right through to your cans and do speakers you may save time and frustration chasing down ground loops. But then if you still like your Vali (you can use the single ended out of a Gumby for instance) you will probably end up leaving an adapter for single ended plugged in for convenience and now you're spending more money.    
eek.gif
    So part of it might be a realistic budget. Good thing this Schiit is affordable!

Feb 25, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #17,555 of 152,050

​There certainly are many routes. Is it worth experimenting with LISST when there's Magni 2 uber? Jotty is a fine piece of kit. If you don't want the hobby of rolling tubes Jotty comes close to Mjolnir 2, less money and no tubes. If you branch out into speakers it's a fine preamp (no remote) and if you like it you have the option of two Vidars and the headroom that brings. Want a turntable? Just add the phono stage.

If you eventually go all balanced right through to your cans and do speakers you may save time and frustration chasing down ground loops. But then if you still like your Vali (you can use the single ended out of a Gumby for instance) you will probably end up leaving an adapter for single ended plugged in for convenience and now you're spending more money.    
eek.gif
    So part of it might be a realistic budget. Good thing this Schiit is affordable!

Don't forget about Magni. It is only single ended, but it's a very capable little amp. If you just want to get a taste of what solid state schiit sounds like, Magni could be a very excellent choice.

My first setup was a Modi 2 Uber going into a Magni 2 Uber and I absolutely loved it (but then gave it to a friend and got him hooked on schiit). I upgraded to a Mimby + Vali 2, which ended up as my work setup. Currently I'm using a Bimby + Valhalla 2 at home, and it is so amazing.

This all being said, I really want to get a Jotty. It looks so awesome, and I bet it sounds even better. Heck, eventually I want to own every piece of schiit they offer (my ultimate dream is an Yggy). I just can't get enough schiit. 
atsmile.gif

Feb 25, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #17,556 of 152,050
Agreed on the Modi/Magni...was a cost-effective entry point into good headphone Dac/Amp combos. But like you did, I'm thinking of upgrading the work setup. The problem is whether to go Mimby / Asgard 2 or a Jot w/internal Dac...still on the fence but leaning towards the Mimby / Asgard 2.

Feb 25, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #17,557 of 152,050

I'm not sure if you're implying that you cannot use the balanced XLR outs to your headphones with the Mimby but if you are that is incorrect - you could run your Modi MB into the Jotunheim via your single ended PYST you already own and then terminate your headphones' cable to XLR and use the balanced no problem. Anything before the amplifier enters the chain is irrelevant when it comes to the way you use the headphone outs.

I'm coming from a place of not-knowing, so forgive my ignorance, but is this really true?  Is SE-use less significant if it's followed-up with balanced down the line?

Feb 25, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #17,558 of 152,050
The balanced output on the Jot is the same regardless whether the input is SE or XLR...

Feb 25, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #17,559 of 152,050
  Is it possible to "Y" the XLR outputs without compromising the signals?

Yes, this works fine with a simple Y cable and there's no compromise of sound. I've used splitters from Blue Jeans Cables with my Yggy since the day I got it. Currently split the output to a WA22 and Rag.

Feb 25, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #17,560 of 152,050

I'm coming from a place of not-knowing, so forgive my ignorance, but is this really true?  Is SE-use less significant if it's followed-up with balanced down the line?

I've found that connecting a balanced DAC to my balanced amplifier(s), for example the Emotiva Stealth I used to own and the Metrum Pavane I've extensively tested (as a friend owns one), there has been very little if any discernible difference between XLR interconnects as opposed to SE RCAs, honestly. I've even had like a month of using that same person's Lampizator Golden Gate which is a complete an utterly ridiculous tube DAC which costs around twice what the Chord DAVE does and I could not tell the difference between balanced and SE into my Mjolnir 2/Jotunheim.

Granted I'm not the most analytical listener there is, I don't try to be though my hearing is quite good, I'm sure there is a little bit of extra separation going on or "clearer" sound in an ultra slight way but my experiments have led me to believe I should not be bothered by it at all and just make do with what I got - if your DAC/amp are balanced and you can get good XLR interconnects then by all means use XLR, no reason not to optimise everything to the max.

Maybe the differences would be further obviated through speakers rather than headphones, or maybe my headphone amps aren't picking up the nuances properly (though the Jotun/MJ2 are both amazing), but either way that has been my experience.

XLR out to headphones from the aforementioned amps however I can tell is different from SE - it's not a drastic change but it is there and it is noticeable without having to dig deep to find it.

Feb 25, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #17,561 of 152,050
Yes.  As I just posted in another thread, it is a persistent myth that balanced audio is "better" than SE.  The signal is the same, only the level is different.

Feb 25, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #17,562 of 152,050

I've found that connecting a balanced DAC to my balanced amplifier(s), for example the Emotiva Stealth I used to own and the Metrum Pavane I've extensively tested (as a friend owns one), there has been very little if any discernible difference between XLR interconnects as opposed to SE RCAs, honestly. I've even had like a month of using that same person's Lampizator Golden Gate which is a complete and utterly ridiculous tube DAC which costs around twice what the Chord DAVE does and I could not tell the difference between balanced and SE into my Mjolnir 2/Jotunheim.

Granted I'm not the most analytical listener there is, I don't try to be though my hearing is quite good, I'm sure there is a little bit of extra separation going on or "clearer" sound in an ultra slight way but my experiments have led me to believe I should not be bothered by it at all and just make do with what I got - if your DAC/amp are balanced and you can get good XLR interconnects then by all means use XLR, no reason not to optimise everything to the max.

Maybe the differences would be further obviated through speakers rather than headphones, or maybe my headphone amps aren't picking up the nuances properly (though the Jotun/MJ2 are both amazing), but either way that has been my experience.

XLR out to headphones from the aforementioned amps however I can tell is different from SE - it's not a drastic change but it is there and it is noticeable without having to dig deep to find it.

Yes.  As I just posted in another thread, it is a persistent myth that balanced audio is "better" than SE.  The signal is the same, only the level is different.

Noted. Thanks for the follow-up!

Feb 25, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #17,563 of 152,050

But, here is something from Mike regarding your post::

Entirely agreed in an analog sense.  When evaluating digital systems, there exist a number of common mode high frequency trash that has everything to do with digital noise and spurious non-synchronous clocks all the way back up up the digital chain.  Doing a "hard way" balance (doubling up on DACs and analog) is a way to deal with (largely cancel) these artifacts.  Unfortunately, this is not a cost effective way of dealing with this problem.  All Schiit DACs are hard way balanced.  Many, probably most others are not.

Feb 25, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #17,565 of 152,050

And please note that in a purely analog (amplifier/pre-amplifier) sense, @Ableza is right on.

Yep, I got that! Does that mean it is best to hook my Yggdrasil to a preamp (Freya) using the XLR? Or is the balancing stuff you were talking about only matter inside the DAC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back