Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 24, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #17,536 of 152,133

​I prefer my Mjolnir 2 balanced over singled ended. But maybe I was influenced by the Yggy's owners manual. I also have a single ended amp in use which I enjoy....

Quote:

Which is 100% BS. Use the single-ended outputs if you only have single-ended inputs. It's that simple.

Remember, every opinion on here is only an opinion, colored by one's own preferences and experience, or lack thereof. If we were less transparent about how the single-ended output was derived (like many, many, many other manufacturers), I bet that a whole lot less people would believe the SE output was inferior.

Listen for yourself, decide for yourself...bottom line.

I know that but it's pretty much universally agreed upon here that Yiggy XLR is a better beast than Yiggy RCA.

I couldn't agree more! Everything I've read of the Yggy magic - and things I haven't read - have appeared with my system using only SE output both to my headphone (Decware CSP2+ preamp/headamp) and speaker (Plinius SA250) amps. So much so, I haven't yet got round to trying the XLR output.

Of course it might be I'll eat my words when/if I get round to trying XLR
redface.gif

But I kinda doubt it
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 24, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #17,537 of 152,133

Jason was talking about the Yggdrasil's outputs. His statements regarding SE vs balanced may not hold for the Mjolnir's outputs (or inputs for that matter).

If I remember correctly Mjolnir's topology works best in balanced and the Mjolnir's SE output does not sound as good.

EDIT: I should say that I'm not disagreeing with your comment. In retrospect probably wasn't worth a reply.

Feb 24, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #17,538 of 152,133

Quote:

Jason was talking about the Yggdrasil's outputs. His statements regarding SE vs balanced may not hold for the Mjolnir's outputs (or inputs for that matter).

If I remember correctly Mjolnir's topology works best in balanced and the Mjolnir's SE output does not sound as good.

​Correct about his statement, and the pic of the Yggy owners manual is about it's balanced and single ended outputs. I enjoy both from Yggy but with what I have I do prefer balanced. But both single ended outputs from Yggy are in use and I enjoy them also.

Feb 24, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #17,540 of 152,133

I believe tat all participants need a refresher as to what a balanced [120 ohm XLR] is vs a single ended RCA comprise. We seem to have some subscribers that do not understand these things.

​We could probably eliminate 2/3 of the posts in these threads if we removed everything posted by people who do not understand what they are talking about. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 24, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #17,541 of 152,133
​We could probably eliminate 2/3 of the posts in these threads if we removed everything posted by people who do not understand what they are talking about. 
biggrin.gif

Just think how awesome the internet would be if you could apply that rule to it!!

Feb 24, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #17,542 of 152,133
I ordered the Mimby and some PYST Cables on Tuesday evening EST.  I discovered this morning that I fat fingered my Zip Code and inverted a couple of numbers (I inadvertently sent the package 182 Miles West of my location).  Once I discovered the error, I sent an email to Schiit and received a response shortly after 9am PST.  Laura was extremely helpful and called Fed Ex for me and corrected my error immediately.  I really appreciate the Customer Service.  Thank you Laura!

Feb 24, 2017 at 11:04 PM Post #17,544 of 152,133
Jason,

My plan is is to use build a two channel speaker system consisting of:

Yggdrasil
Freya
Mjolnir 2
Vidar
Vidar
Spatial Hologram M3 Turbo S Speakers

The problem is that Freya has no line level output for Mjolnir 2. I need to get output from Yggdrasil to Mjolnir 2. Yggdrasil has only one set of XLR outputs and those will be going to Freya. I can use one of Yggdrasil's SE outputs for Mjolnir 2 but I would prefer to use XLR.  Is it possible to "Y" the XLR outputs without compromising the signals? Or am I better off just biting the bullet and use SE outputs for Mjolnir 2?

The Spatial Hologram M3 Turbo S speakers have this spec: impedance is  4Ω nominal, 3Ω minimum. Will they work with the Vidar in dual mono mode? Is that the best way to set the amps up?

Thanks!

Feb 24, 2017 at 11:45 PM Post #17,545 of 152,133
Feb 25, 2017 at 12:28 AM Post #17,546 of 152,133

Which is 100% BS. Use the single-ended outputs if you only have single-ended inputs. It's that simple.

Remember, every opinion on here is only an opinion, colored by one's own preferences and experience, or lack thereof. If we were less transparent about how the single-ended output was derived (like many, many, many other manufacturers), I bet that a whole lot less people would believe the SE output was inferior.

Listen for yourself, decide for yourself...bottom line.

Thanks. I really appreciate reading this from the horse's mouth.

Feb 25, 2017 at 5:27 AM Post #17,547 of 152,133
I'm relatively new to the higher end of the desktop audio spectrum. I've recently purchased my first Schiit and I'm very satisfied. I am using a Modi Multibit and a Vali 2 to drive HE-400is. My previous desktop setup was a Fiio E10k and I had never used a tube headphone amp before. Doing A/B tests, the Multibit DAC absolutely smokes the Fiio DAC section when using the Vali as the amp for both tests. I'm simply astounded how much of a difference it makes. I don't have a great way of testing the two amps side by side, but there I think the results are less clear for me. I'm enjoying rolling tubes in the Vali (NOS Amperex Bugle Boy seems to be the winner for me), but I'm not sure I'm entirely drinking the tube koolaid, and now I really want to get something solid state from Schiit to compare directly with the Vali 2, or to switch things up from time to time.

Can anyone recommend what route I should go? I could buy a LISST for the Vali, or save up my pennies for an Asgard or Jot. Also, if I went with the Jotunheim, do you think it would be worth getting the balanced D/S DAC with the Jotunheim and terminating my headphone in XLR? or should I just connect the excellent Mimby to the Jot and stick with single ended?

Feb 25, 2017 at 6:07 AM Post #17,548 of 152,133
  I'm relatively new to the higher end of the desktop audio spectrum. I've recently purchased my first Schiit and I'm very satisfied. I am using a Modi Multibit and a Vali 2 to drive HE-400is. My previous desktop setup was a Fiio E10k and I had never used a tube headphone amp before. Doing A/B tests, the Multibit DAC absolutely smokes the Fiio DAC section when using the Vali as the amp for both tests. I'm simply astounded how much of a difference it makes. I don't have a great way of testing the two amps side by side, but there I think the results are less clear for me. I'm enjoying rolling tubes in the Vali (NOS Amperex Bugle Boy seems to be the winner for me), but I'm not sure I'm entirely drinking the tube koolaid, and now I really want to get something solid state from Schiit to compare directly with the Vali 2, or to switch things up from time to time.

Can anyone recommend what route I should go? I could buy a LISST for the Vali, or save up my pennies for an Asgard or Jot. Also, if I went with the Jotunheim, do you think it would be worth getting the balanced D/S DAC with the Jotunheim and terminating my headphone in XLR? or should I just connect the excellent Mimby to the Jot and stick with single ended?

my advice: if you´re happy, don´t change setup.
eventually buy the LISST or another tube to try

Feb 25, 2017 at 6:36 AM Post #17,549 of 152,133

I would suggest upgrading your headphones before worrying about source gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back