Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 23, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #17,507 of 152,109
My sub amp is class AB so nuhh 
tongue.gif

Feb 23, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #17,508 of 152,109
Anyone heard the Auralic Merak power amps? These are class "AD" (I think) and I have been told that they don't suck.

Getting back onto all things Schiit - my Yggdrasil has been operating for 24/7 for about 10 days now and it is sounding superb. Just superb. Stunning value. My only regret is not getting one sooner. That would have saved a bunch of dollars and a bunch of frustration also.

Feb 23, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #17,509 of 152,109
No such thing as "class AD."  Those Auralic amps use Hypex class D modules.  Apparently modified in some way according to Google, but Hypex is Class D topology.

Feb 23, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #17,510 of 152,109
I know this is a Schiit Thread but The Audioengine N22 Is Class AB. It replaced the Project Amp Box s which is what I believe Pro-Ject calls a "Digital amp"  AKA Class D. .The N22 injected warmth to as the Pro- ject sounded very thin and cold in comparison.  Overall it was an immediate improvement. and the Audioengine is $100 Cheaper.

My Desktop System Is Fulla 2 ( Work Laptop does not let me install drivers) to a Magni 2 U pre/outs to the Audio Engine N22. Speakers are Centrance MasterClass2504 and I use the RCA output of the N22 to a PSB Subseries 100 mini sub to round out the low end. I may start using my Surface as a source so I can use a Mimby or Bimby. I can listen for hours on this rig even when not working. Sometimes I do this Instead of firing up my actual 2 Channel rig with a Bimby and now a Freya etc. I would love to see small amp like this from Schiit. We hashed this out on this thread some time ago. You guys and gals are right there are very few good A/B amps suited for desktop use. The N22 is 22w RMS and can drive those Masterclass speakers louder than my ears can handle.

Feb 23, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #17,512 of 152,109
  I know this is a Schiit Thread but The Audioengine N22 Is Class AB. It replaced the Project Amp Box s which is what I believe Pro-Ject calls a "Digital amp"  AKA Class D. .The N22 injected warmth to as the Pro- ject sounded very thin and cold in comparison.  Overall it was an immediate improvement. and the Audioengine is $100 Cheaper.

My Desktop System Is Fulla 2 ( Work Laptop does not let me install drivers) to a Magni 2 U pre/outs to the Audio Engine N22. Speakers are Centrance MasterClass2504 and I use the RCA output of the N22 to a PSB Subseries 100 mini sub to round out the low end. I may start using my Surface as a source so I can use a Mimby or Bimby. I can listen for hours on this rig even when not working. Sometimes I do this Instead of firing up my actual 2 Channel rig with a Bimby and now a Freya etc. I would love to see small amp like this from Schiit. We hashed this out on this thread some time ago. You guys and gals are right there are very few good A/B amps suited for desktop use. The N22 is 22w RMS and can drive those Masterclass speakers louder than my ears can handle.

N22 is a nice amp, that I would replace with a piece of Schiit in a heartbeat.

N22 is an integrated with volume control.  Why not go Modi to N22 directly?

r2

Feb 23, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #17,513 of 152,109

Not Auralic, but Devialet claims their amplifiers are class "AD"

Devialet uses a low power class A amp paired with four class D amps, each rotated in phase by 90 degrees (that's per channel) so that's an entirely different kind of abomination.

Preferably something Asgard sized that can be stacked nicely with Bifrost and Jotunheim.

Feb 23, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #17,514 of 152,109

N22 is an integrated with volume control.  Why not go Modi to N22 directly?

r2

Yep I would probably replace it with a Schiit amp if decided to spend the cash on yet another amp for desktop use.

Magni2U is a far better Headphones amp. so I use the Pre outputs of the Magni2U to the N22. But you are right If I were not using Headphones I can go DAC right into the N22.

Feb 23, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #17,516 of 152,109
  Yep I would probably replace it with a Schiit amp if decided to spend the cash on yet another amp for desktop use.

Magni2U is a far better Headphones amp. so I use the Pre outputs of the Magni2U to the N22. But you are right If I were not using Headphones I can go DAC right into the N22.

Perfect.  My N22 is out of rotation now.  Previously, I ran it from a AudioEngine D-1 as the DAC/HP amp/pre with the N22 out of reach.  Next rotation will either go Modi MB direct or Modi MB through a Vale 2, for the fun of it.

I use Y splitters out of Schiit DACs to run a pair of Schiit HP amps or a HP amp and a speaker amp, works great.  Currently Modi MB > RCA Y split > Vale 2 & Mangi 2 U.  Sourced from an iPod/Pure, via Coax, it makes a very great small versatile kit.

JMTC,
r2

Feb 23, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #17,517 of 152,109

Nice! I'm getting an N22 to drive my Zu Audio Omen speakers. We'll see how that works. A future Schiit mini power amp would be very interesting as well.

Feb 23, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #17,520 of 152,109

Jason, kudos on your latest chapter - truly "all killer, no filler." If I ran Wharton, I'd invite you to be a regular guest lecturer.

For now, anticipating new wonders from Casa de CaCa. Betting there will be some real surprises. My wallet trembles.

In the meantime,
Be Healthy.
Be Happy.
And Be Productive.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back