Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Apr 16, 2008 at 9:44 PM Post #2,461 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by coredump /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a noob question.

I plan to use my Zero as a DAC connected to an MKIII. What role does the OPAMP play in the DAC? In my limited understanding I think the DAC chip does the analog conversion and the OPAMP amplifies the signal. If I'm connecting this to another amp why would it be beneficial to have good OPAMPs in the DAC?

That's it in a nut shell. Opamps "colorize" as they amplify the signal for output, depending on their characteristics. If you have a poor sounding Opamp in the DAC section, your output signal will be poor sounding and your MKIII will of course, amplify the poor sounding signal. So, the better the Opamp, the better the final output from your MKIII.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 16, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #2,462 of 9,388
So is the 627 THAT much better than the stock chip, or 1361 / 1364? So far the differences are VERY very small to me. Is it a better 'sounding' chip, or is it renowned because it's the most neutral?

Also, I believe I will need two 627's and a Brown Dog just for the DAC section, (Making it a rather pricey upgrade) is this correct?

Apr 16, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #2,463 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm still re-ripping my CDs to lossless and this may go on for a while!
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm in the same process via EAC / FLAC as well. This does make a not so subtle difference to me. Glad I'm doing it, but it'll be a while...

Apr 16, 2008 at 10:15 PM Post #2,464 of 9,388
Wondering:
LT1469 + LT1364 DAC=good, phone =good

LT1469 + LT1361 DAC=great, phone=great

Why does the rating of the DAC change when the headphone amp's OpAmps are changed? Shouldn't it be independent of the headphone amp? Or does the headphone amp still influence the sound of the RCA outs?

Oh yes, is there a consensus as to whether the DIYkits OPA627BP's are legit?

Apr 16, 2008 at 10:24 PM Post #2,465 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by oatmeal769 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So is the 627 THAT much better than the stock chip, or 1361 / 1364? So far the differences are VERY very small to me. Is it a better 'sounding' chip, or is it renowned because it's the most neutral?

Also, I believe I will need two 627's and a Brown Dog just for the DAC section, (Making it a rather pricey upgrade) is this correct?

Both of OPA627BP's and the LT1364 are much better than the stock Opamp. More dynamic, detailed and a better sound stage. The OPA627BP's are perhaps more laid back than the LT1364, but this is a personal preference thing. The best way to determine this is to try the low cost alternative first, the LT1364 in the DAC. I would recommend a stick-in chip cooler to help keep the heat in check, if you end up liking the LT1364 and plan on using it from now on.

Many of us have found that we like the OPA627BP's in the DAC, when driving other amps with it. Most, (not all) that have tried the OPA627BP's have considered it a worth while upgrade in the DAC. Ow, and yes, it's two on an adapter because the OPA627BP is a "single" Opamp, not "dual" like the LT1364.

Apr 16, 2008 at 10:27 PM Post #2,466 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by CountChoculaBot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wondering:
LT1469 + LT1364 DAC=good, phone =good

LT1469 + LT1361 DAC=great, phone=great

Why does the rating of the DAC change when the headphone amp's OpAmps are changed? Shouldn't it be independent of the headphone amp? Or does the headphone amp still influence the sound of the RCA outs?

Oh yes, is there a consensus as to whether the DIYkits OPA627BP's are legit?

I'll have to go look at that one. It might have been a typo on my part.
redface.gif

Yes, it was a typo and is fixed! Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 16, 2008 at 10:35 PM Post #2,467 of 9,388
What would you consider the best OpAmp Combination for Prog Metal/Rock that is easily found? I'm about the purchase the Zero, and I figured I might as well get the best OpAmp's for it right off the bat. I'll be using the Zero with a pair of ALO-780J's and Grado SR225's.

Also, I know it's probably nested in this thread somewhere, but if you would be so kind to answer(If not, I'll search through the thread). What is the best place to buy said OpAmps? I am guessing Ebay but I'm probably wrong.
tongue.gif

Apr 16, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #2,468 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by uds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What would you consider the best OpAmp Combination for Prog Metal/Rock that is easily found? I'm about the purchase the Zero, and I figured I might as well get the best OpAmp's for it right off the bat. I'll be using the Zero with a pair of ALO-780J's and Grado SR225's.

Also, I know it's probably nested in this thread somewhere, but if you would be so kind to answer(If not, I'll search through the thread). What is the best place to buy said OpAmps? I am guessing Ebay but I'm probably wrong.
tongue.gif

Will you be using the Zero for drivng another amp? I was thinking you had one?

Apr 16, 2008 at 10:39 PM Post #2,469 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by oatmeal769 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

About 30 bucks..probably more if they are real..lol

Apr 16, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #2,470 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will you be using the Zero for drivng another amp? I was thinking you had one?

No, this is going to be used an an Amp and DAC. This is going to be used for my Dorm, so I don't want anything expensive or fragile(Tubes) for the time being. And it's the right price.
wink.gif

Apr 16, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #2,471 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by uds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, this is going to be used an an Amp and DAC. This is going to be used for my Dorm, so I don't want anything expensive or fragile(Tubes) for the time being. And it's the right price.
wink.gif

That's a damn good point.
smily_headphones1.gif
Since there is a current question about where to get "real" OPA627's, you might want to burn-in the Zero with it's stock Opamps.

Or, you can get LT Opamps from their site here: Linear Technology - LT1364 - Dual and Quad 70MHz, 1000V/µs Op Amps LT1364 LT1364CN8#PBF LT1364CS8#PBF LT1364CS8 LT1364CS8#TR LT1364CS8#TRPBF If you had to stick with LT1364 in the DAC, I'd recommend the LT1469's in the amp section. Always order two or more.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm trying to locate a seller who has "real" OPA627s and I'm waiting on a reply on several.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 17, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #2,474 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by szlnk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got the OpAmps from Linear a few days ago
cool.gif
. I want to use 2x LT1122ACN8#PBF-s in the DAC and LT1364CN8#PBF-s in the amp. Is this a "valid" combination? Has anyone tried this already?

I need to buy a BrownDog adapter for the LT1122-s. Is this what I need: https://2211905765.monstercommercesi...WPROD&ProdID=9 ? With or without DIP sockets installed (+6 USD) should I buy it?

I would recommend getting the sockets installed. This will let you use the adapter for other chips later on, if you wish to.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 17, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #2,475 of 9,388
Ok, after reading to page 20, I am kinda confused... I can't even think how to phrase my question.
tongue.gif

How many OpAmps are in the Zero? Like, how many can be replaced by something better? And what OpAmps should I get(for Prog Rock/Metal) for what part of the Zero(Meaning DAC and Amp sections)? This is probably much simpler than I am making it out to be, but I just got my self incredibly confused.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back