Review of the Little-Dot MKIII Tube Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Mar 26, 2008 at 2:40 AM Post #31 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_TNT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aha! Now I get it. Thanks.

I remember reading in the MKIVSe thread that someone found the HD580 to sound smeared or muddy on it. Would that also be the case with the MKIII?

Absolutely no mud.
smily_headphones1.gif
Sometimes, someone will hook up an amp like that to a poor source and of course, it will amplify the "poor" part with no trouble.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 26, 2008 at 5:23 AM Post #32 of 723
Oh man, I just came back from my local Hi-fi shop. I left with a smile on my face and my wallet in tears. Just got myself a RS-1 to go with my MK III. Letting them both burn in together. Man I thought the MK III made my sr225's sing, the rs-1 is smoking right out of the gates. I can'
t even imagine what it will sound like after the rs-1 and the MK III have fully burned in. Then I still have some rolling to do!!!

Thanks for your contributions here on Head-fi Penchum. Without your reviews (and of course the opinions of many others) on the various Little Dot products, I don't think I would of taken the plunge on a MK III.

Mar 26, 2008 at 1:22 PM Post #33 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by dgbiker1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whaaaaaa??? How did you get a GREEN LED???
biggrin.gif

Great review! Nice to hear confirmation with much more experience than I that it is indeed a good amp and not just my naive opinion.

Yep. I ordered it with a green LED. Blue is fine, but so bright compared to the green. It's just a preference thing.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 26, 2008 at 1:43 PM Post #34 of 723
Congratulation and sorry for your wallet
wink.gif

The RS-1 sound very good on the MKIII.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghoul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh man, I just came back from my local Hi-fi shop. I left with a smile on my face and my wallet in tears. Just got myself a RS-1 to go with my MK III. Letting them both burn in together. Man I thought the MK III made my sr225's sing, the rs-1 is smoking right out of the gates. I can'
t even imagine what it will sound like after the rs-1 and the MK III have fully burned in. Then I still have some rolling to do!!!

Thanks for your contributions here on Head-fi Penchum. Without your reviews (and of course the opinions of many others) on the various Little Dot products, I don't think I would of taken the plunge on a MK III.

Mar 26, 2008 at 4:23 PM Post #36 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjumper78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i am planning on getting a pair of dt990 manufaktur (600ohm) soon. should mk3 be powerful enough to drive 600ohm phones?

Low impedance is more taxing on an amp, requiring far more current delivery. Think of impedance as a barrier or valve restricting current flow. A high impedance HP only allows a trickle of current through, a low impedance phone is like a wide open faucet, requiring the amp to pour out a much greater flow of energy.

Short answer - 600ohm is high impedance and easy to drive. - No problemo

Mar 26, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #37 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethebull /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Low impedance is more taxing on an amp, requiring far more current delivery. Think of impedance as a barrier or valve restricting current flow. A high impedance HP only allows a trickle of current through, a low impedance phone is like a wide open faucet, requiring the amp to pour out a much greater flow of energy.

Short answer - 600ohm is high impedance and easy to drive. - No problemo

I own AKG phones, 240M and k501. The 240s are 600ohm. Does this mean my little go-vibe is sufficient to drive them? If so, I agree the above mentioned amp should have no problem with 990s.

Mar 27, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #38 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for all the kind words you guys! I thought the back drop on the pics should be something audio this time.
smily_headphones1.gif
You should hear those babies through my MKIII!
biggrin.gif

I can well imagine............thinks of 15 ips master tape of Pink Floyd's The Wall..........sonic NIRVANA........
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 27, 2008 at 12:58 PM Post #40 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can well imagine............thinks of 15 ips master tape of Pink Floyd's The Wall..........sonic NIRVANA........
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by darckhart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
found this thread through another one. great write up penchum! definitely going to be an amp to consider on my list now! =)

Almost any Pink Floyd at 15ips is stunning! Animals is one of my favs.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks darckhart, I'm glad you will consider the MKIII!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 28, 2008 at 12:33 PM Post #42 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by hendry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can someone give me a manual for this MK III, i can't download from this site ? thanks b4

Try this link and see if it works for you.
smily_headphones1.gif
Logon

Mar 28, 2008 at 1:33 PM Post #44 of 723
That's one of the main reasons I'm going to pull the trigger. That really is a nice feature that makes this a really versatile unit.

Mar 28, 2008 at 2:36 PM Post #45 of 723
Really considering buying this amp, especially after reading this great review. But I wonder if there's any point in getting the MKIII when I already have the heed canamp. I have read that the heed and hd650 don't really match that well, so I would like to try out the MKIII, but that would mean I would have to sell the canamp. Hmm, gotta sleep on this one for a few more nights I suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back