Review of the Little-Dot MKIII Tube Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Mar 24, 2008 at 3:06 PM Post #16 of 723
Penchum! Simply a wonderful review that we here at Head-Fi have come to expect from you! It is awsome to have members that have the writing talent that you possess aan are willing to take the time to put into words what they hear. Thank you so much for sharing your talents with us!!

I must say, I've owned my MKIII since Christmas and my experience with it and my opinions of it mirror yours exactly. A great amp indeed!!!!!

Thanks again for taking the time to put your experience into words for the rest of us to enjoy...and learn from. Anyone thinking of getting this amp has all information they need right here in one thread.

Awesome!!!!!!

Mar 24, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #17 of 723
Nice work Penchum. Kudos to you for all your time time taken to put these wonderful reviews together. We are very thankful. Of course, it's also nice to know that I made a great choice for a headphone amp. The LD MKIII is a special piece of gear for sure!

Mar 24, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #19 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Sinnott /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very well written review. Any idea how this amp would mate with the AKG k501? I have not tried the Sennheisers, but I think they are more efficient, right?

K501 is harder to drive than HD650.

Mar 24, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #20 of 723
Thanks for the detailed review.

Mar 24, 2008 at 9:32 PM Post #21 of 723
Cool Beans Mr. P!!
biggrin.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

A whole bunch of us already in the MKIII flock were anxious to hear your thoughts on this gem in the affordable tube amp world, and many in-the-market folk will surely be inspired to hit the BIN button. They will return to this tread to thank you for prying open their wallets.
evil_smiley.gif

BTW, I scored a five pack of Sylvania 6AK5WB’s, which from photos appear to be the kiss’in cousin of the Gold’s. At $4 a piece delivered, THEY ARE KILLER! - and after an application of SilClear, I don’t think those lil’ electrons much noticed the missing gold plating on the pins.
wink.gif

Mar 25, 2008 at 1:56 AM Post #22 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A gain setting of 3 or 4 should work fine for both. Just to clarify, if I use my HD-650s on a gain of 4, I can still reach levels louder than I would ever listen too. 10 just happens to be what all my amps are set to and I'm used to moving the volume knob just a little, to get a lot.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aha! Now I get it. Thanks.

I remember reading in the MKIVSe thread that someone found the HD580 to sound smeared or muddy on it. Would that also be the case with the MKIII?

Mar 25, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #23 of 723
Awesome review penchum!!! I've also had the MK III for a few weeks now and absolutely love it. My amp still has less then 100 hours on it and is still maturing. I run grado sr225's through mine and really lovesthe extra warmth it slaps on top of it. Coming from portables to the MK III, the MK III easily outshines them all!!!

Mar 25, 2008 at 2:41 AM Post #24 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_TNT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aha! Now I get it. Thanks.

I remember reading in the MKIVSe thread that someone found the HD580 to sound smeared or muddy on it. Would that also be the case with the MKIII?

I run 580's with my mkIII and they sound excellent! Can't imagine someone thinking they sound "muddy" with the mkIII or mkIV. Unless, of course, bad tubes are mixed in the equation.

Trust me....MKIII + hd580's = awesome!!!!

Mar 25, 2008 at 3:00 AM Post #25 of 723
Excellent review Penchum! I've had my MKIII a while now and I couldn't be happier with it. What a great amp!

Mar 25, 2008 at 3:19 AM Post #26 of 723
Whaaaaaa??? How did you get a GREEN LED???
biggrin.gif

Great review! Nice to hear confirmation with much more experience than I that it is indeed a good amp and not just my naive opinion.

Mar 25, 2008 at 4:23 AM Post #27 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I run 580's with my mkIII and they sound excellent! Can't imagine someone thinking they sound "muddy" with the mkIII or mkIV. Unless, of course, bad tubes are mixed in the equation.

Well then, I think I know what I'll be getting for my birthday.
biggrin.gif

Mar 25, 2008 at 8:48 AM Post #28 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerB /img/forum/go_quote.gif

x2

A great combo

and thanks Dave for another insightful review.

Mar 26, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #29 of 723
Great job on the review Penchum
smily_headphones1.gif

Your insight is invaluable stuff. Keep up the good work.

Seeing those 2 reel to reels in your pics brings back some fond memories.....

Mar 26, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #30 of 723
Thanks for all the kind words you guys! I thought the back drop on the pics should be something audio this time.
smily_headphones1.gif
You should hear those babies through my MKIII!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back