Review of the Little-Dot MKII Tube Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Jan 14, 2008 at 7:18 AM Post #31 of 659
Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Penchum, that surprised me about the Figaro also!! One of the joys of owning a tube amp is watching those puppies glow while you are in sonic heaven!

But...to each his own.

But it does have a ring of blue glowing LED's around the volume control so I suppose that makes up for it
biggrin.gif

Interesting though...

20070922_56809ce5614638017c61mMFz7l.jpg

That's the inside of the Figaro... Only one tube? Don't most tube amps have at least 2?

Jan 14, 2008 at 10:33 AM Post #32 of 659
Weeks ago I was debating on getting the MKII. After reading your review..I went to eBay and bought one from davidzhezhe .

This will be my 1st Tube amp...will the OEM tubes be fine till I get some Super-Fi cans? Best cans I have now are SR80's, but I am seriously looking into HD600's, SR325's, and DT880's.

Also my source's are not 00ber, just AV-710 & my iAudio 7.

Jan 14, 2008 at 10:41 AM Post #33 of 659
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, it's in progress. Gotta post my MK1 review today as well.
biggrin.gif

Then I'm going to finish up the MKV, and take a big break!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh yeah, I was thinking of the MK1 also. I am thinking of either getting the MK1 or building a mini^3.

Jan 14, 2008 at 11:12 AM Post #34 of 659
So which headphone suit LD 2++ or MK II ?

Jan 15, 2008 at 2:55 AM Post #36 of 659
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So which headphone suit LD 2++ or MK II ?

Well, we know for sure the HD-580 & 650. I'd really like to hear what K701s would sound like in the MKII. I have a feeling that the EF95 family of tubes would be great with them. Thinking of taking one for the team?
biggrin.gif

Jan 15, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #37 of 659
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshatdot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Weeks ago I was debating on getting the MKII. After reading your review..I went to eBay and bought one from davidzhezhe .

This will be my 1st Tube amp...will the OEM tubes be fine till I get some Super-Fi cans? Best cans I have now are SR80's, but I am seriously looking into HD600's, SR325's, and DT880's.

Also my source's are not 00ber, just AV-710 & my iAudio 7.

I'm fairly certain you will be ok with the stock tubes. With some "maturing" time, they will open up and you are in for a treat!
biggrin.gif

Jan 15, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #38 of 659
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But it does have a ring of blue glowing LED's around the volume control so I suppose that makes up for it
biggrin.gif

Interesting though...

That's the inside of the Figaro... Only one tube? Don't most tube amps have at least 2?

Good gosh! That made "warning" feelings jump up in my brain!
eek.gif
Is it me, or does anyone else feel this way?
eek.gif

Jan 15, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #40 of 659
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

Interesting though...

Maybe a comparison visually is in order here. This is the MKII:

InsideMKII.jpg

No warning feelings here.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 15, 2008 at 5:02 AM Post #42 of 659
Quote:

Originally Posted by spookygonk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's very tidy workmanship in the Mk. II

Hi SG,
I think you hit the nail on the head.
smily_headphones1.gif

The only MK series item I'm missing is the MKIII. I have opened all I have and they all look this "tidy". The pics on the Little-Tube site show the same attention to detail and quality builds that come to your door when you order one. I have never seen a purchased amp look sloppy or different than the site pics show us. When my back allows me to sleep, I sleep without worries for my headphone amps.
biggrin.gif

Jan 15, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #43 of 659
I just received my NOS 5 pack of GE "Mobile Radio" rugged-ized 6AKS/5654 driver tubes for the MKII (for EF95 compatibility mode). What is interesting, is they have the same markings as the GE 5 Star tubes, so I will be trying these out very soon!
wink.gif

I pulled the Jumpers for EF95 mode, and have a set burning in now. Initial impressions: These driver tubes sound really great right out of the box!

Jan 17, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #44 of 659
Quote:

I just received my NOS 5 pack of GE "Mobile Radio" rugged-ized 6AKS/5654 driver tubes for the MKII (for EF95 compatibility mode). What is interesting, is they have the same markings as the GE 5 Star tubes, so I will be trying these out very soon!
wink.gif

I pulled the Jumpers for EF95 mode, and have a set burning in now. Initial impressions: These driver tubes sound really great right out of the box!

I took a long listen to these about an hour ago. The changes have been mild, but the end result so far is: These are the best 6AKS/5654 driver tubes I have right now. Better than standard GE, RCA and Sylvania. I also have Mullards coming, so that will be interesting.
biggrin.gif

Jan 17, 2008 at 9:49 AM Post #45 of 659
Quote:

wink.gif

How do they compare with the GE 5 Stars? I'm thinking about getting a matched pair of the 5 Star since I read that they sound a lot better than the stock tubes...
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back