Review of Little Dot MKV Dual Mono Solid State Headphone Amplifier
Oct 19, 2008 at 6:53 AM Post #571 of 740
As much as the impedance adapter takes care of the noise issue for me, something continues to bother me regarding the MKV. Isn't it true that a properly designed amplifier should be quiet with low and high impedance headphones? Doesn't the fact that there is noticeable noise with low impedance cans mean there is something fundamentally wrong with the design of the MKV? Can anyone (Penchum, perhaps) speculate as to what this design flaw/compromise might be? There has been a lot of discussion on ways to remedy the problem, but no real attempt that I've seen at explaining why it exists in the first place.

I realize this may seem slightly accusatory in tone, but it is not meant to be. I just find the hiss issue slightly troublesome, and I'm legitimately curious as to why it exists in the MKV and not in so many other amps (as far as I know).

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Oct 19, 2008 at 8:20 AM Post #572 of 740
Quote:

Originally Posted by boozcool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
According to David, "EBAY and Microsoft are running a promotion right now for 20% rebate

[...]

FWIW, it's been regularly going up to 30% on weekends [which is where it is right now, at ~3:00A Chicago (CST) time].

Oct 19, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #573 of 740
Quote:

Originally Posted by cwell2112 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As much as the impedance adapter takes care of the noise issue for me, something continues to bother me regarding the MKV. Isn't it true that a properly designed amplifier should be quiet with low and high impedance headphones? Doesn't the fact that there is noticeable noise with low impedance cans mean there is something fundamentally wrong with the design of the MKV? Can anyone (Penchum, perhaps) speculate as to what this design flaw/compromise might be? There has been a lot of discussion on ways to remedy the problem, but no real attempt that I've seen at explaining why it exists in the first place.

I realize this may seem slightly accusatory in tone, but it is not meant to be. I just find the hiss issue slightly troublesome, and I'm legitimately curious as to why it exists in the MKV and not in so many other amps (as far as I know).

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Hey Cwell,

No problem about the accusatory tone thing.
smily_headphones1.gif
This low impedance noise issue has many people perplexed, all of them have low impedance phones too.
At the time of the review, the MKV was a "new" concept in super quiet/very dynamic SS headphone amps. The majority of owners were using higher impedance headphones, and the noise issue didn't even come up, until someone matched the MKV up with lower impedance headphones. It caught all of us owners off guard.

What is known, has been talked about in this thread. I put a warning in the review updates, and it appears that LD has told others that the impedance adapters are necessary for lower impedance headphones. I don't believe it is a design flaw. There are several other SS desktop amps reviewed on HeadFi, that have this same trait to them. Considering the MKV was voiced to the Senn HD-580, 600, 650 type of higher impedance headphones, this noise issue wasn't even known at all. I am glad that they are including adapters if you tell them you have lower impedance headphones! That, is excellent customer service!

I would also encourage MKV owners who have lower impedance headphones, to try the MKV with higher impedance headphones. This might change their minds about which headphones they should own. I had to put new driver elements in my HD-650's and then burn them in for 250 hours. When they were matured, I listened to them via the MKV for about a week straight. The results were excellent, and the overall presentation was improved greatly. So, you see, even small things can make a difference. With the MKV, many pre-existing noise issues in a rig, can be heard for the first time, and need to be dealt with. Grounding loop is a popular problem, and so is EMI, RFI from sources near bye. Your rig will benefit from eliminating these noise issues, whether you have high or low impedance headphones connected to the MKV. The fact that the lower impedance headphones tend to show these noise problems more easily, simply means the MKV is a more sensitive high end amp, that should be used in a quiet rig and interference free surroundings. So many users have said they thought their rig was "noise free", then they found out they had some of these noise problems, thanks to the MKV. I guess it is all about perspective.

In my rig, I have taken steps to minimize noise on many levels, prior to purchasing the MKV. Right now, I can hook up my HD-280's (64 ohms) and the background is dead silent, black as you want it to be. Perhaps, the elimination of possible noises in my rig, has paid off in the long run? Perhaps others could follow my lead, get their rigs super quiet and they just might have less noise and a happier rig because of it. This is my best guess on this matter, so far. Amp noise with 24 ohm headphones, is a real possibility with any SS desktop amp. The 24 ohm headphones are very susceptible to outside interference and internal amp noise, so I'm pretty sure they will always need adapting to a higher rating, when used with the MKV. 32 ohms to 64 ohms, may need less adapting with a quiet rig.

So, this whole issue seems to be variable, depending upon the rig and the environment around the rig. If an owner is going to stick with his lower impedance headphones, then it is advisable for them to eliminate all possible noise issues, and adapt their phones to a higher impedance. The ultimate fix, is to eliminate all noise issues, and purchase higher impedance headphones that are liked/loved by the owner.

I've been doing audio for a very long time. Noise issues, are always the worst problems to come up against, and those same noise issues will continue to bother you, until they are eliminated. Every rig imaginable, can have noise issues. Usually, the better the rigs are, the more noticeable the noise problems become. There are some simple steps to go through, that will eliminate a large percentage of the noises, for very little money. Moving a few things, plugging the entire rig into one socket, capping off unused RCA's, are just a few that come to mind quickly. YMMV since this is a variable situation.
smily_headphones1.gif
But, eliminating the noises is still a smart thing to do, no matter what you do for headphones. IMHO of course.
smily_headphones1.gif

Just my rather long 2 cents worth!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 19, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #574 of 740
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ultimate fix, is to eliminate all noise issues, and purchase higher impedance headphones that are liked/loved by the owner.

Or you could purchase a amp that better suits your headphone, instead of trying to find a headphone that works with the amplifier.
my 2c

Oct 19, 2008 at 8:03 PM Post #575 of 740
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't believe it is a design flaw.

I never noticed any hiss when using both the RS1 and SR225 with the MKV. Is it possible that there could be inconsistencies in the quality of components used with the MKV, causing random hissing problems with some users?

Oct 19, 2008 at 9:03 PM Post #576 of 740
Thanks for the replies, Penchum and others. It certainly is interesting that some experience no hiss at all with low impedance headphones, yet others, myself included, do experience it. I would say there are two possible explanations for this variation:

1. As jacdan indicates, there is some degree of variation in the components or construction of the MKV, making some hissy and some quiet.

2. All MKV's are generally consistent, and the variation in hiss results from variations in rigs in which the MKV is used.

My gut tells me explanation #2 makes more sense, but I'm not sure if that's because I just bought a MKV and I want #2 to be the reason, or if it actually makes more sense. I guess the real test would be to take my MKV, which hisses in my system with SR225's, and swap it into jacdan's system, in which his MKV does not hiss with his SR225's. If my amp in his system hisses, the explanation is #1. If my amp does not hiss in his system, the explanation is #2. Of course I don't know how or when this type of test would ever happen...

I suppose I'll try a few things to resolve noise problems that may exist in my system. If explanation #2 is correct, and if I interpret what has been said correctly, the use of low impedance headphones with the MKV results in hiss when used in a system that already has noise problems. These problems may not have been noticed in the past because of less sensitive components, etc. Therefore the ideal solution (at least in my mind) is to identify and eliminate the real source of the noise, not just use impedance adapters or higher impedance headphones to cover up the problem.

Oct 19, 2008 at 11:05 PM Post #577 of 740
Quote:

My gut tells me explanation #2 makes more sense, but I'm not sure if that's because I just bought a MKV and I want #2 to be the reason, or if it actually makes more sense. I guess the real test would be to take my MKV, which hisses in my system with SR225's, and swap it into jacdan's system, in which his MKV does not hiss with his SR225's. If my amp in his system hisses, the explanation is #1. If my amp does not hiss in his system, the explanation is #2. Of course I don't know how or when this type of test would ever happen...

A shame you're not in the NYC area, then we could meet up and do a swap. I'm concerned that postage might be kind of hefty for these units.

Oct 19, 2008 at 11:15 PM Post #578 of 740
Agreed. I also would not want to pay for postage. I'm going to go the route of attempting to eliminate noise from my system, and if I'm successful, that's just as good as doing a swap, and I'll have a noise-free system!

I'll keep you guys updated when I get back to school and try out some different things.

Oct 19, 2008 at 11:23 PM Post #579 of 740
Quote:

Agreed. I also would not want to pay for postage. I'm going to go the route of attempting to eliminate noise from my system, and if I'm successful, that's just as good as doing a swap, and I'll have a noise-free system!

I'll keep you guys updated when I get back to school and try out some different things.

Good luck.

Oct 20, 2008 at 12:26 AM Post #580 of 740
The first time I used my MKV with low impedance cans, there was hiss. Now there isn't. My set-up changed between the before and after, so it's definitely something to do with other components or power.

Oct 20, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #581 of 740
Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or you could purchase a amp that better suits your headphone, instead of trying to find a headphone that works with the amplifier.
my 2c

Yes, you could, but IMHO, I wouldn't recommend it. I understand why some folks would consider this to be the easier method, but it is flawed at the most fundamental level.

If you buy specialized equipment (for one model headphone), you are narrowing the headphone possibilities severely, and you may never find another headphone you like better for your specialized system. Now, upgrades to equipment are mandatory, if you want to use most other headphones.

An existing audio rule of thumb says it best: "Don't buy a system to make your headphones sound good. Buy a headphone that makes your system sound good."

This approach is much more flexible and it will fit far more models of headphones in the long run. It may save you substantial cash in system upgrades, down the road too!
beerchug.gif

Oct 20, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #582 of 740
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The first time I used my MKV with low impedance cans, there was hiss. Now there isn't. My set-up changed between the before and after, so it's definitely something to do with other components or power.

Very encouraging insight, Currawong. This seems to strongly support the theory that the combination of low impedance cans and the MKV simply reveals noise in a system that already had it.

Oct 20, 2008 at 1:33 PM Post #583 of 740
Quote:

Very encouraging insight, Currawong. This seems to strongly support the theory that the combination of low impedance cans and the MKV simply reveals noise in a system that already had it.

Nice Avatar CW!!!

Oct 21, 2008 at 3:26 AM Post #584 of 740
Quote:

That's false. I have the MKV and it just hiss with low impedance headphones.

It's not related to your system, heck even David has confirmed this. He even offered me a impedance adapter to fix it. The adapter was pretty rudimentary but it did it's job.

I later have gotten a impedance adapter from a local head-fi cable builder! The hiss is completely gone with my 325i now.
wink.gif

EDIT: As a reference my 80ohm DT770 had a really really slight hiss and my Grado's 325i was pretty audible in silent passages. This amp is often said to be stellar with Sennheisers HD series, also I am pretty sure I have read Little Dot benchmarks their products with Sennheiser 580's. Even tho I have not heard the Senn with this amp, I am positive there won't be any hiss with 300 OHM rating headphones

Don't get me wrong, I am totally happy with my MKV, just trying to state the facts.

Charles

Oct 21, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #585 of 740
Quote:

Originally Posted by Grey Massacre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's false. I have the MKV and it just hiss with low impedance headphones.

It's not related to your system, heck even David has confirmed this. He even offered me a impedance adapter to fix it. The adapter was pretty rudimentary but it did it's job.

Charles,

I agree that an impedance adapter is one way of dealing with the hiss with low impedance phones. However, I'm confused as to how it is false to assert that Currawong's experience supports the theory that the hiss is caused somewhere else in the system. I'm not saying that it proves anything beyond any doubt, but the fact that Currawong's MKV had hiss in one of his setups, and did not have hiss in another, indicates that the presence of a hiss is determined by factors beyond the amp itself. Can you explain the flaw in this logic? (I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here and assume I did make a mistake somewhere in my logic, but I'm not seeing it right now).

One other question...have you tried methods other than impedance adapters to eliminate the hiss you were experiencing? If not, it's only fair to acknowledge the possibility that the problem could be somewhere else in your system, and not with the MKV itself. That is not to say that I expect you to try anything beyond impedance adapters if you don't want. If you derive enjoyment from your system as is, that's the most important thing
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back